R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 track machine placement off a console, monitoring help  (Read 2203 times)

lek

2 track machine placement off a console, monitoring help
« on: December 18, 2005, 11:52:11 AM »

Never having had a traditional large console, I'm not sure where exactly the 2 track mixdown machine is supposed to be - in some kind of tape send and return (the only thing I see in pictures with bottom end mixers is a tape out/in on rca plugs)

Trying to mimick this in a digital setup, I recently acquired an avocet but realized it won't work the way I wanted.

Original plan
digital multitrack -- benchmark d/a -- great river eq2nv -- stereo compressor -- avocet.

avocet would feed the amp monitors on one analog out, the tape machine on another analog out, and the tape would come back into one of the avocet's free ins. Then I realized only one analog out works at a time, so I can't send it to both amp/monitors and tape deck. And even if I send it only to the tape deck, the line back in from the tape deck wouldn't work because I am already using the line in as well. Stupid thinking...
So I am relegated to monitoring my mixes after it passes through the tape machine? Is this normal not to be able to listen to the mix buss before it hits the tape machine? btw, i am not happy with how the avocet has changed the sound coming from the benchmark, nor the headphone quality...

Any advice would be greeeeeaaaaat!!!!
Please interrogate for any misunderstandings on a possibly discombobulated story.
Surprised Come on, help a neophyte out... Surprised
don't forget to eat your khao niao

Lek
www.lekmusic.com

Barry Hufker

Re: 2 track machine placement off a console, monitoring help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »

I don't work with an Avocet so I can't help you there.

Typically the 2 track (or a few 2 tracks) are fed by the console's main ouput.  The returns are often a "tape return."  This is useful as you can listen to the mix on the way to the deck and to the deck (although don't listen to reproduce when mixing -- that would make you crazy).

If you want to actually modify the 2 track master, then it is often brought back as a couple of line inputs to the console, with again, the main outputs feeding one of the additional 2 tracks.

If your console can't directly feed a couple of 2 tracks and you want to have more than one mastering option, then a Distribution Amp, such as the Benchmark, is ideal for mismatching levels and impedances from the console.

After that, I can't help you.

Barry

bobkatz

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 12:44:44 PM »

lek wrote on Sun, 18 December 2005 11:52

Never having had a traditional large console, I'm not sure where exactly the 2 track mixdown machine is supposed to be - in some kind of tape send and return (the only thing I see in pictures with bottom end mixers is a tape out/in on rca plugs)

Trying to mimick this in a digital setup, I recently acquired an avocet but realized it won't work the way I wanted.

Original plan
digital multitrack -- benchmark d/a -- great river eq2nv -- stereo compressor -- avocet.

avocet would feed the amp monitors on one analog out, the tape machine on another analog out, and the tape would come back into one of the avocet's free ins. Then I realized only one analog out works at a time, so I can't send it to both amp/monitors and tape deck.

Many people have asked for or wished for an Avocet that has inserts like a console on its input section. Unfortunately it does not. Then it would be more of an analog transfer console than just a monitoring unit.

With a little creativity you can work up this functionality up on one tape machine with some Y cords and your Benchmark DAC as part of the equation. What it looks like is you are looking for more of a mastering/transfer console.

Take a look at a rackmount piece from Manley that has some inserts and such and might function like this for you in conjunction with the Avocet.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

lucey

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 02:02:43 AM »

lek wrote on Sun, 18 December 2005 11:52

Original plan

the avocet is a monitor controller only. Pick one of 3 analog or 3 digi ins, sent to 1 of 3 monitors.  i believe monitor out 3 can be set internally to act as a meter feed, always on, even levels.  that could be your tape send but why pass thru when you can mult?

to send your 2 mix/eq/comp to a tape deck you'll need to split the signal pre-tape (after 'comp' and before 'avocet') returning both to the Analog In 1 and 2, 2 and 3 or 3 and 1.

As for the tone, I've tried the Grace, Crookwood and Avocet ... the Avocet's analog path sounds the most invisible by far.  It's DA (full low mids, round bottom) is not at all like the DAC1 (thinner and 5534 high mids) ... but the analog pass through is remarkable.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

lek

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »

Thanks to all. . .
don't forget to eat your khao niao

Lek
www.lekmusic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 16 queries.