R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan earthquake/tsunami disaster impacts  (Read 5835 times)

John Moran

Japan earthquake/tsunami disaster impacts
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »

these are just some excerpts from the WSJ on things that may affect us :

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704296604576196140410967916.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Consumer electronics giant Sony Corp. said it stopped operations at six electronics-components manufacturing plants—including those manufacturing batteries, chips and smart cards—in Fukushima and Miyazaki.

At one plant that makes magnetic tapes and Blu-ray discs in Miyagi prefecture, the entire first floor was flooded and employees were evacuated to the second floor, the company said.

Panasonic Corp. said Saturday that the company has halted operations at several plants, including those manufacturing digital cameras, audio products and electronic components in northern Japan.

The quake has also disabled some of the supply and distribution network in the areas, a spokesman said.

Toshiba Corp.'s system large-scale integration chip plant in Iwate prefecture has also suspended operations.

Asahi Kasei Corp. said it halted production at its large-scale integration chip plant in Miyagi, where workers had been evacuated and there were reports of injuries.

Kirin Holdings Co. said it halted operations at its brewery in Miyagi. Kirin said Saturday that four large beer storage tanks had been damaged.

i was ok up to that last one, now i'm pretty concerned...

(there are lots of other disruptions, read the article)

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
Re: Japan earthquake/tsunami disaster impacts
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »

I know it's terrible that you might loose some of your audio goods and beer, but me and my family in Yokohama are seriously worried about the effects of nuclear radiation.

We are all well now, we were separated on Friday when the big one hit, but were all re-united on Saturday morning. I would just like to let everyone here know that we are currently well, and trying to gear up for the proposed black-outs which will start tomorrow. Sorry I do not have time to post more details.

All the best,

Gregg and family, Hermetech Mastering, Yokohama

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »

Glad to hear you and your family are safe, Gregg. Please keep us posted as you can and if there's anything we can do for you, don't hesitate asking...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

John Moran

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:46:51 AM »

ya know, my post was the first reference on this site to the disaster(s) you are experiencing and it was with some black humor to demonstrate the magnitude of what was happening and how it will have a worldwide effect.

having been deeply involved with taking care of Katrina evacuees, i'm all too familiar with what people go thru in these situations and hope you and everyone else fares better than what many reports have shown.  sadly, these things do not wane quickly; the consequences tend to multiply for a while before settling down.

while prayers are nice, actually doing something to provide aid is more effective to those really in distress.

Toward that end, here’s some links you can use to assess how best to send aid:

http://brandon.patch.com/articles/five-links-for-japan-guide-to-sending-aid-learning-more

1. InterAction Members Support Japan Tsunami Response — This NGO (non-government association) has compiled a list of 23 groups organizing aid efforts, put together in an easy to view chart. An Associated Press report used, and linked to, this page in a posting of its own for news on how to help. The 23 aid efforts listed as of March 14 at 1:45 p.m. include those organized by American Red Cross, Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA), All Hands Volunteers, American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, AmeriCares, Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team, Baptist World Alliance/Baptist Work Aid, Brother’s Brother Foundation, Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation, Catholic Relief Services, Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, Church World Service, Direct Relief International, Giving Children Hope, Habitat for Humanity, International Fund for Animal Welfare, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Mercy Corps, Operation Blessing International, Relief International, Save the Children and World Vision.
   2. Mashable offers a list of seven ways to help, including tips for texting, embedding code (on your own Web sites), using Facebook, using Twitter, donating via iTunes and buying virtual goods.
   3. How To Help Japan: Earthquake Relief Options — This Huffington Post report summarizes the responses of various organizations, including some, but not all, listed by InterAction. The HuffPo report adds to the list of ways to give.
   4. How To Help the Victims of the Japan Earthquake — This USA Today report, posted March 13, summarizes the crisis and offers its own list of ways to give, which in part echoes some of the entries noted in the links above but also adds additional posts to the mix.
   5. The Google “Person Finder: 2011 Japan Earthquake” offers two options: “I’m looking for someone” and “I have information about someone.” The site, as of 2 p.m. March 15, was “currently tracking about 161,200 records.”

and having personally worked with the Red Cross in disaster relief, I highly recommend support thru them.

www.redcross.org

Millice

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »

http://www.t-yuden.com/news/detail.aspx?id=169

We just bought a bunch of media from our T-Y provider just in case.  My thoughts are still with all of the families impacted. 
Dan Millice
Assistant Mastering Engineer

www.danmillice.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.