R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are your mentors?  (Read 1748 times)

Jeff Panall

Who are your mentors?
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:49:46 PM »

Steve,

Are there any people who you would consider to be your recording mentors?

Are there any records that made a notable impact on your recording techniques or philosophies?

We are lucky these days with the internets and folks such as yourself who so candidly share their life's lessons.  Thanks.

chrisj

Re: Who are your mentors?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 05:01:41 PM »

I can't help but be reminded of the Subgenius concept of short duration personal saviours. Maybe it's more like that.

I know I've always idolized people's work to the extent that I didn't understand it. I'd be all impressed, study it hard in different examples until I could figure out what was being done and what further flaws I wasn't seeing at first- and then tbe bloom's off the rose and the hero-worship goes away.

It's very much a factor of something doing exciting things that I don't understand.

There's also the idea that if I can only learn from people who are better than me, that's a built in ceiling and it's setting me up for complacency and arrogance when I do finally have enough mastery of things to do what I want the way I want it.

If I can learn from just whoever, there's no ceiling because I'll always be looking for the times when someone is doing something I missed.

Of course you asked Steve, not me- so now we can find out where _you_ are in this equation Wink I'm curious what he'll say too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.