R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: where are we going?  (Read 14395 times)

Frob

Re: where are we going?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

i would assume the abandon normal instaments would mean: no spanish style/modern electric guitar, no electric bass and no jazz/rock style drums. to me this would mean that, duclaimer, fiddle, accourdian are okay, double bass and cello are okay and for percussion if you wanted to bring in a marching band that would be fine too.

NelsonL

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 06:12:25 PM »

Frob wrote on Wed, 11 January 2006 13:17

i would assume the abandon normal instaments would mean: no spanish style/modern electric guitar, no electric bass and no jazz/rock style drums. to me this would mean that, duclaimer, fiddle, accourdian are okay, double bass and cello are okay and for percussion if you wanted to bring in a marching band that would be fine too.

Here’s what I think, not that I’m any kind of authority--

That card was thrown out as an example-- by way of discussion it led us to the alternate tuning thing as an acceptable guideline. It wasn’t neccessarilly an official card, we hadn't agreed to use the cards yet.

I play with and/or record fiddle, cello, dobro, and mandolin quite frequently-- so those would be normal for me and therefore off limits?

To me, there’s an unspoken directive that says we can’t make the rules so obscure that no one participates— so by that logic drums, guitars, and bass have to remain fair game.

Let’s go forward, not back. This is where I thought we left it:

Alternate Tuning
Drums from Baconskin
Use the cards...

...but not retroactively, they would be used in the context of the above. If we draw a card that says “don’t use drums” we have to throw it back as it directly contradicts a precedent. If we keep the # of guideines at 3 or so this can't continue to come up that much.

John Ivan

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »

OK, so,, If I wanted to take one of the drum grooves and/or fills, and just use a few "hits" from this one or that one to make my own drum groove, this would be fine? I can change the tempo and so on?

If the tuning is a Minor chord, can I still write a tune in a Major key? or would I have to stay in a minor key?

The cards. THAT is a cool idea if it's not to restrictive. It should be somewhat restrictive or it's pointless and we should follow the cards if we use them, I agree.

I'm very interested in this. I have to consider how busy I am ,{as we all do I'm sure.}  I would not want to commit to this and then NOT do it. That would suck and would be unfair to all so, when it's time, let's talk about time frame here and an expected dead line.

I'm sure it can be worked out. So, you guys did this already once? Cool, where can I hear this. ;-}

Great idea folks. Really great!

Ivan.............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

floodstage

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 10:11:34 PM »

It was a different concept last time.  J provided nicely recorded drums with a messed up arrangement and we had to write songs that fit the drums without changing the drums arrangement.

The original thread:
 http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/2122/0/0/2 3/?SQ=9a9b4a2851d6115de2fc2d70ea78f190

The completed songs:
 http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/5514/747/?SQ=2d d233bc10add1e24702106c470d2a35

starscream2010

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 09:51:34 AM »

This is a great idea but my only question is regarding the "cards". How do we draw these cards at random, in a virtual environment? If this was explained and I missed it I apologize. This sounds like alot of fun and while my songwriting skills may not have improved since the last contest, my recording skills have   Very Happy
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

NelsonL

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »

starscream2010 wrote on Thu, 12 January 2006 06:51

This is a great idea but my only question is regarding the "cards". How do we draw these cards at random, in a virtual environment? If this was explained and I missed it I apologize. This sounds like alot of fun and while my songwriting skills may not have improved since the last contest, my recording skills have   Very Happy

Baconskin has a set of the cards, I think he would draw for us.

Hey Baconskin, are you still game?

chris haines

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 01:09:51 PM »

i'm having jon appleton/christian wolfe flashbacks from college but i'm in.  i'd vote to go more 'musical' and less 'experimental' and reduce the number of composition restrictions/guidelines but i can hang with the squeak/fart recipe composing minimalists as well so...whatev & I'm game.

Rinkydink Audio, studio
The Vulcan Freedom Fighters, band

ex-weasel
ex-publisher
ex-pat

NelsonL

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 01:23:53 PM »

ivan40 wrote on Wed, 11 January 2006 16:35

OK, so,, If I wanted to take one of the drum grooves and/or fills, and just use a few "hits" from this one or that one to make my own drum groove, this would be fine? I can change the tempo and so on?

If the tuning is a Minor chord, can I still write a tune in a Major key? or would I have to stay in a minor key?

Based on what has come up in this thread and the previous one, I think the answer is yes to both. Last time part of the challenge was to use the drums as is, so this time we're going to make them highly tweakable as a contrast to the earlier project.

I plan to sound replace mine with pots and pans.

scott volthause

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »

I'd love to be included in this type thing again. I had a blast with last year's "mix fest".

floodstage

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 05:16:10 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 12 January 2006 13:23

I plan to sound replace mine with pots and pans.

Can't wait to hear that one!

starscream2010

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 02:19:08 PM »

Does anyone have an idea of when this is going to go down?
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

j.hall

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »

it will go down as soon as i start another thread and lay out the parameters.

i've been waiting on bacon skin to chime in about the drums.

i'm so busy right now i won't be able to set my kit up and play something.....

John Ivan

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »

Hey all''

I'm back after Three day's of driving and playing,,,,,and driving,,  Oh yeah,, And I had to DRIVE TOO!@#$%^&.gerr!!

Anyhow, didn't want ya to think I wasn't interested.. Could be cool..

Ivan..................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Juergen

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2006, 04:15:31 PM »

...i'd be interested aswell...
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports

j.hall

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »

are we just assuming bacon skin dropped off the face of the earth?

can anyone else supply well recorded drum sounds?

the viking might be able to, i'll give him a call.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.