R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering to pc based CDR writer  (Read 2941 times)

zverinu

Mastering to pc based CDR writer
« on: December 13, 2005, 05:55:21 AM »

I am mastering finished audio productions to CDR with a pc based recorder. I use Samplitude for this. I used to have an A-Open cd-writer and experienced few problems. However, I recently upgraded to a Sony DVD-writer since I have ventured in video-production as well. Now I seem to have a problem with errors on cd's I write in that drive.

I have a few questions as I am fairly new to this topic:

1) is there good (freeware) software to check the number of errors on written cd's?

2) can writing cd's in a DVD recorder increase the error count?

3) what cd- or dvd-writer could you recommend for this application?

I would be delighted to hear your enlightened opinions on this matter

Kind greetings,

Joachim Brackx

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: Mastering to pc based CDR writer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:33:33 AM »

No freeware program for error checking that I am aware of.

"DVD Writers" should not increase the number of errors

I would suggest you get a Plextor with the included software to check for errors.

What media are you currently using? Some media is better than others and has a lower error count . Suggest doing a search on this site this topic has been covered before.

Best of luck!
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Pingu

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:07:25 AM »

I think all the guys around here use
Plextor Premium.
It comes with its own error checking software i believe.

Cd speed is a free download and is great for error checking.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

zverinu

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:56:33 AM »

thanks for the replies Smile

-I was using Fuji CD-R Pro Audio in both cases, however I am considering switching to taiyo yuden cdr's.

-I have indeed read about the PlexWriter Premium, but it seems to be discontinued, I can't buy it anywhere. As far as I can see Plextor has only one CD-writer left: the PX 230-A at around 30 Euro. It comes without software though. Does anyone use a Plextor DVD-writer for this?

-Thanks for the tip on cd speed, I will try it tomorrow

Kind greetings,

Joachim Brackx

http://www.brackx.info

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:18:43 PM »

I wasn't impressed with the PX 230, thought it was a dog, too many errors, no Plextools, don't waste your time and money.

IMO the PX 716 DVD-R is the one to get, makes great masters esp with TY media.

Of course the price is more than double the 230, but if you're making masters...
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:29:14 PM »

Phi Lion wrote on Tue, 13 December 2005 09:07

Plextor Premium.

CD Speed is good for surface scan and DAE checking, checking access times and burst rate, but as far as the BLER goes, I find it to be inaccurate at worst and hard to read at best. I'm talking about the pay version, not the freebie, which I didn't even know the freebie did BLER checking. Must be new on the freebie.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

James Perrett

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

zverinu wrote on Tue, 13 December 2005 14:56

thanks for the replies Smile

-I was using Fuji CD-R Pro Audio in both cases, however I am considering switching to taiyo yuden cdr's.

-I have indeed read about the PlexWriter Premium, but it seems to be discontinued, I can't buy it anywhere. As far as I can see Plextor has only one CD-writer left: the PX 230-A at around 30 Euro. It comes without software though. Does anyone use a Plextor DVD-writer for this?

We've just bought some PC's with Sony DVD writers in my day job at the University here - they certainly seem a little fussier about media than the Plextors but some of the problems may be down to the users burning at the fastest speed possible (we're not talking mastering here).

Fuji media is very variable - sometimes it will be made by T-Y and therefore be very good while other times it isn't great.

A Plextor 716 or 760 DVD writer is probably the best way to go at the moment - the 716 performs very similarly to the Premium for audio work.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Greg Youngman

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »

Ronny wrote on Tue, 13 December 2005 14:29

Phi Lion wrote on Tue, 13 December 2005 09:07

Plextor Premium.

CD Speed is good for surface scan and DAE checking, checking access times and burst rate, but as far as the BLER goes, I find it to be inaccurate at worst and hard to read at best. I'm talking about the pay version, not the freebie, which I didn't even know the freebie did BLER checking. Must be new on the freebie.

Playing around with CD Speed... I don't understand why the C1 numbers aren't the same with both "Disc Quality" and "Scan Disc" tests on the same CD.  
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Ronny

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 07:04:38 PM »

C1 count will more often than not, vary slightly each time you run a BLER check on the same cd, even in the same drive.

The file test and scan disk verifies the data by block structure. As long as everything is read it will show 0 errors. You could have thousands of C2's and still get a perfect data scan as long as there are no CU's. I was just running a null test on a clients pressed cd with my PMCD copy and decided to check it in CD Speed after running a BLER check in Plex Tools Pro. C1's = 1236, avg per sec was 1.0 and max 14 per sec, in PTP, CD Speed file test and surface scan all green 0 errors. I tried to do a BLER check and it said Error failed to initialize the disk. I tried it on all the CAV speeds and same error, it wouldn't go into the C checks. Nope, I'm not happy with CD Speed, it's a waste of money if you have Plex Tools as far as I'm concerned.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------