R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatcha' working on?  (Read 19106 times)

bblackwood

Whatcha' working on?
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »

So, tell us what you've been working on. I don't recall us ever having a thread like this here, doesn't have to be famous stuff, just stuff you've enjoyed or your proud of.

Don't be bashful...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
Re: Whatcha' working on?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »

Today.. unattended
2 Classical pieces.. stems - Choir/Orch/Perc
1 House/Techno stem - Vocal /Instr
4 song R&B EP...

Yesterday: attended - 12 song J. Mayer.. ish sounding project.

As long as I'm staying busy 5 days a week,  I'm happy.

jdg

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »

punk rock 7" and 10" pre-masters (and digital versions)
band called "Luther"

nice change from a buncha jazz i did this week.

"ugh, jazz man, WHY!?"
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Apostolos Siopis

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »

Yesterday was mixing live somewhere at  the other side of Greece for a band called Sleepin Pillow.

Today I just prepared my rig for Monday , when I am going to be mastering an album from a 60s sounding  local rock n roll band called Full House...Great musicians and the mix already sounds more or less perfect .

Lately There has been a lot of Rock n Roll (ie. everything but purely electronic music or classical) ..I like this.

I have also been busy putting the finishing touches at my New room and designing a mastering console... but I will show off at the right time, at the appropriate thread.

Apostolos
Apostolos Siopis - www.odeon-mastering.com

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »

I have also been busy putting the finishing touches at my New room and designing a mastering console... but I will show off at the right time, at the appropriate thread.
Nice, look forward to seeing the new room and console.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

PBM

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »

For the last week or more - a daily dose of opera, remastering for CD some live broadcast Joan Sutherland performances from the Sydney Opera House. A bit of restoration and a lot of sonic sweetening.

Also lovely classical/jazz/world piano/percussion from the amazing Sicilian Katia Pesti; and a couple of EPs for some great local indie bands.

Favourite work this year was on the double CD from the Alaskan electric jazz bassist Milo Mathews: soulful songs, great arrangements - and great mixes ...

Tomorrow - nothing and everything - the Knif Soma has just arrived this afternoon and its going to get a lot of my attention on a lot of different music.

Cheers,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »

Did a beautiful sounding kid's folk album on Monday. Great musicians, tracked in a good room to a 2" MCI and mixed on an Amek Hendrix console by an engineer with 30+ years of experience. Amazing.

I've had a lot of attended sessions. This week I had two, next week 3 days out of 5 are attended. Apparently living 2,5 hours away from my old room and 1h away from any major city doesn't prevent that.

One of the next week's project I'm waiting for is the new Moottörin Jyrinä album. You read it right. It's a kid's heavy metal band, started out as Motörhead covers for kids. Awesome stuff, actually.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

livingstone

• Real Full Name: frederic alstadt
A track i wanted to share
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:09 AM »

Hi Guys !

it's often discussed mastering gears techniques business and "philosophy" here but not that much about music finaly.

so i'd suggest to use this topic to share songs we've worked on and we have enjoyed, because of the music, the artists, the project ...
i received this link from the New York Times this morning :http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/t-magazine/mens-fashion/2011_mens_wellrockers.html?ref=style
for a track composed by Steve Mackay featuring Iggy Pop i've worked on and so wanted to share it with you, as it's my first mastering with a "star" involved, and the project is quite unusual for me as i work mostly for avant garde / alternative projects, strangely the ppl involved there exept Iggy come from this ground, as Steve side to his work with the Stooges is playing often in dangerous fields.

I think i'll ever remember the first time i listened to this one in the studio, when he's voice came thru, i was quite paralised by this deep presence.
Avant garde is great labs to work with but working with/for such major artist was a great experience... and the occasion to send a link to my old' mother to show what he's son work on  ;D
__________no time_________no sound________

www.angstrom-mastering.com

Tim Halligan

Re: A track i wanted to share
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:32 AM »

Nice job.

Completely off topic...the price of "fashion" appears to be utterly insane if that gallery of pics is to be believed.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

PBM

Re: A track i wanted to share
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »

Nice idea: this is one of my favourite pieces of work from last year: Boy Cried Wolf 'Firebrand' EP featuring the Manic Street Preachers - the title track is great, but I just love "No Comfort From Your Skin"  - maybe I'm just a sentimental old sold but the kind of shift at 1:15 really makes me well-up and smile:

http://soundcloud.com/boycriedwolfmusic/sets/boy-cried-wolf-the-firebrand-ep/

Cheers,

Eric

Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

livingstone, I merged this with another similar thread I started the other day - I love the idea of a thread where we discuss what we're working on - thanks!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

livingstone

• Real Full Name: frederic alstadt
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:20:16 AM »

livingstone, I merged this with another similar thread I started the other day - I love the idea of a thread where we discuss what we're working on - thanks!

what we enjoy working on !  ;)
__________no time_________no sound________

www.angstrom-mastering.com

Greg Reierson

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »

Looking back I had a pretty cool week:

Monday: jingle demo reel and two dance singles
Tuesday: Celtic Guitar album, final tweaks on a Big Band album
Wednesday: Bluegrass album and two pop singles
Thursday: 70s-80s cover band (lots of Dead and Dylan)
Friday: Eastern European fiddle album

Next week it's back to an R&B album and four indie rock albums.
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

lowland

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »

A mixed bag at the moment, just the way I like it.

Passing through in the last and coming week or so are: a double children's album, an album for a new band called Brando, a musical theatre voice-and-piano project, further work on some language courses for the Open University (ongoing to the end of the year), a single for a reformed band from the 90s, four 'various artists' CCM compilations, a couple of library albums and an album for a band who are fans of another act I did a 25th anniversary remaster for. Phew! - this is the time of year when things really start to cook.

Highlights in recent months: the Cyprus entry for the Eurovision song contest (a very nice recording and song, you may be surprised to learn) a couple of West End cast albums (I seem to be finding a bit of a niche in musical theatre, nice to be doing work with some dynamics) and (very exciting!) some archive material denoising for Pink Floyd on their forthcoming DSOTM boxset.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »

Highlights in recent months: the Cyprus entry for the Eurovision song contest

Congrats Nigel! Looking forward to seeing how it fares...

I did the Icelandic entry this year. A great recording and upbeat song, but it comes with a sad undertone; the singer and songwriter Sjonni Brink unexpectedly died at age 36 (just 2 days after I mastered the song). On the wish of his family, his friends are now taking his song to the contest, singing it for him. I just mastered the new version, without his vocals, and needless to say, it was a strange and emotional experience.

Robin Schmidt @ 24-96 Mastering
www.24-96.comwww.facebook.com/2496mastering

jdg

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 03:08:07 AM »

this weekend, did 3 different sequences and spacings for a band, and doing a remodel at our bakery (wife is still there right now while i rest my feets)
John McCaig
-the caption captain

lowland

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 05:03:43 AM »

I did the Icelandic entry this year. A great recording and upbeat song, but it comes with a sad undertone; the singer and songwriter Sjonni Brink unexpectedly died at age 36 (just 2 days after I mastered the song). On the wish of his family, his friends are now taking his song to the contest, singing it for him. I just mastered the new version, without his vocals, and needless to say, it was a strange and emotional experience.
Tragic, Robin - ATB to the Iceland entry. I see Iceland and Cyprus are in different semis, and there's a chance they might both meet the UK and Germany in the final!

The ESC has been a little thread through my audio life, starting with demos for the UK song in the 80s and more recently mastering previous entries for Poland and Cyprus. The latter a couple of years ago was the one that due to a scheduling quirk was also mastered by Ted Jensen, whereupon I had a great moment of affirmation on discovering that a) with no cross-referral he and I had made almost identical EQ and dynamic choices and b) the producer couldn't tell them apart - I was proud that day.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

Recently finished a compilation disc KUT Live Vol. 10, 90.5 FM in Austin. 22 tracks, a wide variety of songwriter oriented "real" music. A nice mixture of regional, national, and international artists. We nearly always push the CD length limit with these discs. You can't buy the disc, only available to subscribers of KUT, our NPR affiliate.

Friday I mastered a pair of singles for Sarah Pierce a wonderful local songwriter, a special release for her upcoming tour to Italy. After that I resequenced a master for a local Americana band Radio TeXXas.

Today, mastering a 12 song upcoming release for Rich Ellis from Dallas.

Tomorrow, I'll be freestyling, riding high, and going to Ray Benson's birthday bash. Celebrating another trip around the Sun for both Ray and myself.

Wednesday, mastering a 7 song EP for a Texas Country artist.

Thursday, mastering a four song rock EP, then off to the annual SXSW Grammy Party, hoping to run into Doug Sax, Bob Ludwig, Allan Corneau and other master dignitaries.

Friday, recovering from all the SXSW conviviality, catching up on mastering work, and welcoming any visitors for studio tours.

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

Michael Hynes

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »

Working on some interesting instrumental tracks for a great Dobro player. Interestingly the
compositions involve a prototype instrument made by Moog. These tracks should be part of
the product launch. Also have a traditional Blue grass thing coming in followed by a classical
guitar duo. Then the wait for my new Foote control systems mastering edition compressor
in custom red  ;).

adamgonsa

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

This weekend it was work for a client that does covers of blues/jazz vocal artists (Etta James, Billie Holiday, etc).  It's one of those projects that keeps slowly expanding.

Today it's an attended session with a local Portland indie-pop artist.  Really catchy songwriter and arranger.

Wednesday and Thursday it's more work for a local cassette/vinyl only record label.  They do a comp a month and usually a full release once every 6 weeks or so.  Terrific guys/girls and some of my favorite clients.
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

adamgonsa

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »

this weekend, did 3 different sequences and spacings for a band...
What gives?  I thought you were done with working on the weekend.
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »

Today I have been working on a heavy 303 acid techno album, nosebleed I believe, I have some choral works later in the week and some dubstep tracks and an album of what appears to be old demo material. Quite a mix up.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

jdg

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »

What gives?  I thought you were done with working on the weekend.

had no time during the week, plus THE BAND NEEDED IT ASAP. (even tho the are spending time to listen to all three different sequences and edits... so. :/ )

also, the bakery looks AMAZING.
i spent most of the weekend on a ladder changing light fixtures on a 20 foot ceilings.
John McCaig
-the caption captain

bblackwood

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

also, the bakery looks AMAZING.
i spent most of the weekend on a ladder changing light fixtures on a 20 foot ceilings.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »

Recently finished a compilation disc KUT Live Vol. 10, 90.5 FM in Austin. 22 tracks, a wide variety of songwriter oriented "real" music. A nice mixture of regional, national, and international artists. We nearly always push the CD length limit with these discs. You can't buy the disc, only available to subscribers of KUT, our NPR affiliate.
Hey JT,
Been meaning to say "nice work" on the compilation record that was released around Christmas time.  A friend from Austin sends it to me every year.

Did an EP I really enjoyed from a local band called "Rate of Rise", a record of Brazilian Jazz by a group called "Na Mesa" that was really fun, and am starting production on a country/pop record soon for an artist named Kurt Van Meter this month.

As an artist, am going to get cranking on a trip-hop lounge record soon.  That genre has some of the coolest sounds going on these days....very inspiring.  Would also like to get a record of solo acoustic pieces done this year, but I say that every year.   ;D
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:25 PM »

Hey JT,
Been meaning to say "nice work" on the compilation record that was released around Christmas time.  A friend from Austin sends it to me every year.

Grazie! You must be referring to KGSR Broadcasts Vol. 18.

Would also like to get a record of solo acoustic pieces done this year, but I say that every year.   ;D

I feel you bro' ...I've been procrastinating on doing my jazz/blues guitar record for over 20 years! Plumber with leaky pipes at home.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

jdg

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 02:17:53 AM »

those lights were all my doing! hrrmmff
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Patrik_T

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »

X

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »

Cookies or it didn't happen....

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »

On Topic,
Today finished Illinoise Paysons album. ready for a vinyl cut. punk county blues any one?

Just finished mastering a great pop singer/ songwriter Mary Jennings. very dense & interesting mixes.

This week worked with an eastern european rock band NOTTERDAM. Geat guys!

just finished mastering a prog rock group Tao. great musicians & awsome arrangments.

recently finished producing/playing some funk redo trax for dope brother records.
http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tpage&cr=titles&cv=81039

tomorrow doing some final mix tweaks on the funky version of the mamas & papas monday monday for the same label.

lots of fun going on here....
Ed

bblackwood

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »

Cookies or it didn't happen....
Smart man...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 05:17:03 AM »

I have had to cull all my mastering work since the earthquake, as the power company is trying to route as much power to the most needed areas as possible. Of course, I have been happy to do this. The other reason is due to shock. Me and family in Yokohama have been up and down like emotional yoyos. It's really only today that things have honestly started to feel a little bit back to normal, and I am sure we are all going to be traumatised for months about the tragedy.

However, I am hoping to start work again on Monday, if the power company requests to "save electricity" have stopped by then.

I was working on two projects before the quake. The first is the new EP by Danny Hyde, who is a UK engineer and remix artist who has done a lot of work with Coil, Nine Inch Nails, Pop Will Eat Itself and Adamski (he did the original 12" mix of the Adamski & Seal's "Killer"). Danny's new "Svay Pak" EP comprises five tracks with various vocalists he has worked with over the last 20 years. Three are done, and two more are left to go. The music is extremely idiosyncratic, and quite unlike anything else I have ever heard before. I feel I am extremely happy and lucky to be working on this project.

The other project is a three CD album by Dave Skipper from the UK. It's a very interesting mix of D&B, thrashy guitars and psychedelic rock. Nice combo I reckon. ;) Two discs are done, and one is left to go. The album includes remixes by Eat Static and other ex-members of The Ozric Tentacles.

I only started mastering professionally just over a year ago. In 2010 I mastered about six albums, a few EPs, a few singles, and many many "freebie" one offs. So far in 2011 I have mastered nine albums, two EPs and again, many many freebies. So things are looking up! We still intend to re-locate to Milan from Yokohama within the next few months, so again my mastering schedule will be disrupted, but I am planning on finally buying some ATC monitors and a new PC once the move is complete.

Let's all stay positive for 2011!!!

Gregg

bblackwood

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 09:11:40 AM »

Thanks for the update, Gregg!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.