R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone heard the Wunder CM7 or Wagner U47w?  (Read 25467 times)

Steve Hudson

Re: Has anyone heard the Wunder CM7 or Wagner U47w?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 15:09

Can you swap heads with a standard 47?  --oh I remember,   I believe the wunder(guess/deduction) is a "flea" body if so the answer is yes--be careful also (I have a 'pre-flea" body/head)--Why can't they get the dome right sheez.

The plastic inside the head is more Brittle and I think a nice drop or tipped stand could give it a more special result than a less brittle material...  who knows--Also might fix the dome shape haha.

Mike Castoro explained to me last week that the reason for not copying the flattened dome of the original U47 grille cap is for structural integrity. The flattened style is more succeptible to dents, whereas a rounded dome is stronger (remember the VW Beetle commercials making this point?)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:11:43 PM »

Yeah, but it looks weird to me.  It's always irked me.  Believe me, if I had one, I'd be flattening that thing.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Flowers Studio

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

The Flea round dome is a bummer aesthetically. I hope to never put that mic in a situation where the "structural integrity" of the basket will be tested!
Ed Ackerson
Flowers Studio
Minneapolis

http://www.flowersstudio.com

kats

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

Quote:

Mike Castoro explained to me last week that the reason for not copying the flattened dome of the original U47 grille cap is for structural integrity. The flattened style is more succeptible to dents, whereas a rounded dome is stronger (remember the VW Beetle commercials making this point?)

OTOH the Neumann "flat head" is a much more robust basket than the Flea basket - my bet is that the Neumann basket could take more abuse. If you ever look at the two side by side, the flea basket just looks and feels cheap by comparison.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »

kats wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 18:16

Quote:

OTOH the Neumann "flat head" is a much more robust basket than the Flea basket - my bet is that the Neumann basket could take more abuse. If you ever look at the two side by side, the flea basket just looks and feels cheap by comparison.

I talked with Mike beofre also,  He has to say something right?  He said a bunch of stuff to me also.  (Is he using Peluso capsules in his C12?)

I think that it is sad all of the vintage U47s will now need to be modded to have a more rounded dome...

If structual integrity was the corcern,  They have bigger fish to fry than the dome!  Hows about that plastic..   I bought them early one so maybe they fixed this maybe not.

"Flea" was selling those  on something Like """" vintage mic  """"  .com  before Mike was using them--  I would guess thats what made it harder to get them @ some point..    Business is as does..  I'll stop here to avert attack.

I own 8 of these mics-  I can be the 1st to say the dome looks stupid.  

I do not buy the spin on it either-  If it is true they would have done a better job with the rest of it perhaps--  if it really really is true-- thats a poor choice in my book-

If anything,   a curved line seemd to have more exposure to being dented than the REAL baskets.   IMO

MagnetoSound

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »

Isn't it more likely part of the trademark issue?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »

No.  AFAIK, the only grill that Neumann has trademarked is the sloping grill found on their other mics, like the U87.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

aileka

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »

Concerning the Flea 47 basket, I just saw today, in Paris, a recently delivered Flea 47 and the top of the basket has been changed, it is now flat, to look more like the original U47. For you info. Sounded damn good too.
alain le kim
aileka

kats

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »

Hopefully it is as solid as an original Neumann basket as well!
Tony K.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

Jeez,  I wonder if ther is a fix for the dumb looking ones..

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »

John, there's always the gravity mod.
studio info

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »

This is a  no-brainer:

If you don't like the dome of the replica, remove the basket, place it right side up on a hard, flat piece of wood situated on a no-give surface, like a work bench or table.  

With a flat, soft, piece of wood as an in-between, use a leather/hide mallet or similar low- impact hammer, and gently tap the hammer onto the flat piece of wood which you have placed so that it is parallel with the table on which the basket rests. Knock gently until the dome is flattened to your liking.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

kats

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

Kind of like a Fender Relic...

Pre-damage the instrument (mic) call it historic, and charge extra.

Klaus, I'm not convinced that you are 100% serious. If you are, how about a little background on the basket making process employed by Neumann to create these "flat heads".

PS, I think you may get a more even and precise result by using a vice.

PPS, on the Wunder site where they do a side by side comaprison of the CM7 and an original U47, doesn't the basket on the U47 look like a Flea basket? Quite disingenuous if so.
Tony K.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »

kats wrote on Sun, 20 April 2008 11:02

Klaus, I'm not convinced that you are 100% serious. If you are, how about a little background on the basket making process employed by Neumann to create these "flat heads".

Background of the basket making process?  Do I spend all of my waking hours with this stuff, or do I have a life? There comes a point where I have to say: enough-there's life beyond mics!

I've always domed the baskets that way, in and (in case of dents) out. Works perfectly well. But I give you permission to use a vise!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

kats

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »

Quote:

There comes a point where I have to say enough-there's life beyond mics!

Well this is hardly the thread to draw THAT line Smile

The only reason I ask is out of bewilderment as to why the imitation U47 makers do not copy such an obvious physical feature of the mic. Personally I thought the process might have been more complicated than a hammer, but if that's all there is to it, it just strikes me as odd.

Tony K.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 17 queries.