R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone heard the Wunder CM7 or Wagner U47w?  (Read 25457 times)

The Resonater

Has anyone heard the Wunder CM7 or Wagner U47w?
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:22:01 PM »

Well, I guess the title says it all.  Has anyone heard either the Wunder CM7 or the Wagner U47w?  Both are "recreations" of an original U47, and I wonder what kind of sound either one offers.  They're both quite rare, so if anyone out there has any opinions, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
The Resonater

compasspnt

Re: Has anyone heard the Wunder CM7 or Wagner U47w?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:12:02 PM »

There was a recent thread here about the Wunder.  As I recall, there weren't many, if any, who had heard it.

I spoke to Gunter Wagner when I was in Australia recently, and tried to listen to one of his, but time didn't allow it for either of us.  I don't think either mic uses the original tube, but Gunter claims to have a solution for that.

Ozzy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:51:06 PM »

I think the Wagner uses the EF14 valve.

jack pettit

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »

I own a Wagner U47 short body/satin top with a K47 capsule

I paid 5540.00 and waited about 12 weeks for it.

What would you like to know?

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 02:16:07 PM »

jack pettit wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 10:24

I own a Wagner U47 short body/satin top with a K47 capsule

I paid 5540.00 and waited about 12 weeks for it.

What would you like to know?

Everything.

jack pettit

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »

I have never used an old U47 so I can't compare it to that.      I can't do a scientific test so I will tell you my impression of the microphone.
I have been using it with a Manley Tube pre EQ 500

It sounds good, full and smooth.
I think to be clear on top and still be very smooth is a big deal.

It has another virtue, it sounds intimate.
I don't know how but it seems to reveal just a little more about a vocalist.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 04:22:57 AM »

What tube is Mr. Wagner using in your Wagner U47?

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

jack pettit

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »

Go to wagner-microphones.com

All the information is there.

Ozzy

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 10:58:21 AM »

Actually (the website) skirts around the valve issue.

It says it's a Telefunken but not a VF14. There is a picture of it and it looks like an EF14. It says it's similar to the VF14, apart from heater current which sounds like it's a EF14.

danickstr

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 03:12:12 PM »

i think it is the EF14.  There is a white paper on it that I found once and that rings a bell.  i will look for it, but not sure where it was.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

volki

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 01:34:21 PM »

IIRC, a local vintage mic tech who knows gunter told me something different: in contrast to the "obvious" substitution VF14 - EF14, it's actually EF12k getting used in wagner's mic's.

anyway, since we have the owner of one of them right here, it should be easy to confirm - all you need is a screwdriver Wink
Volker Meitz

mullard

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

It is EF12 tube, with modified filament.
Sonically it is 100% original U47 ballpark.
I'm happy owner of Wagner 47 and still have to find vintage original (tried almost dozen of them) that would force me to conside Wagner's inferior. Contrary, in several ocassions Wagner was obvious preferred choice over originals.
Compared to Wunder, although I think Wunder is great mic, Wagner is nuance nicer and cleaner in top end.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »

I've had a Wunder CM7 since September and it's a fabulous LDC. I have not A/B'ed it with a vintage U47 (though I have recorded with several and know what to expect) it has the same general sound - detailed, full-bodied, in-your-face. It's my go-to mic for my own tenor vocal and it is often my first choice on acoustic guitar.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Flowers Studio

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »

We've had a Wunder CM7 (M7 capsule) for about six months. It's a fantastically useful mic, great on vocals, acoustic guitar, violin, basically anything. Very "big" sounding, yet very clear. I use the Wunder in the same applications I have used U47's in the past and am very happy with the results. People really enjoy singing through the mic. It's also a great (and rather expensive!) tambourine mic. I've been tempted often but haven't had the nerve to roll the dice and buy a vintage 47. The CM7 works great for us and I'm happy we bought it.

Ed Ackerson
Flowers Studio
Minneapolis

http://www.flowersstudio.com

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »

EF12k's Are in RFT Leipzig 7151,  Which IMO is a Beautiful sounding mic(line level) That is why there are (2) EF12k's.

Hi Ed,

Do you have the Wunder in MPLS?

care to shoot it out with My clones? I have some different capsules in them  Including (I  Think/deduction) the same one you have (Siegfried T "new" M7-esque attempt) I like those also, A NOS k47(brass and cream), and an NOS M7.  I think the "new" M7-esque attempt capsules sound nice  and I would guess from my puttering  this a bit of the "clear" sound you are experiencing.

Can you swap heads with a standard 47?  --oh I remember,   I believe the wunder(guess/deduction) is a "flea" body if so the answer is yes--be careful also (I have a 'pre-flea" body/head)--Why can't they get the dome right sheez.

The plastic inside the head is more brittle and I think a nice drop or tipped stand could give it a more special result than a less brittle material...  who knows--Also might fix the dome shape haha.

It would be fun to hear your body/amp with the different capsule and visa versa--  

(BTW - Ed has a very nice drum room.  And probably what most people would consider a dream set up of a building/build out.)

john

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 19 queries.