R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can we discuss this: masterbus compression/peaks  (Read 1939 times)

George_

can we discuss this: masterbus compression/peaks
« on: December 12, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »

ok..

my masterbus is hitting +7dB if I dont apply compr
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

j.hall

Re: can we discuss this: masterbus compression/peaks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »

mix at lower levels first.  see if you retain what you want with better gain staging.

i've noticed that my console likes to be hit hard, but you also ride a line of distortion and a "small" sound when you really crush it.

gain staging is something you'll spend the rest of your career mastering.  each piece of gear has it's own sweetspot.

i've learned when mixing in the box that harder you hit the 2mix the smaller it sounds.

it's digital, don't be affraid to mix quieter.  the noise floor at 24 bit will be a non-issue.

1gibsonMO

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 03:07:47 PM »

I agree with J.

Also, one thing to ALWAYS check is that you are not peaking the master with all of the plugs bypassed.  People have been known to eq and limit the master and think that they are ok peak wise, however if you were to bypass the plugs..... everything is peaking prior to the inserts.  I usually run the master really conservative and a "lookahead" limiter to bring the levels up.  Limiter ex. L1, Maxim, etc...  You could be squeezing it too much with the comp--->Limit.  I would try and leave as much dynamic info as possible... maybe just limit it some.  If this is going to be mastered, leave some room for the mastering guy with the Weiss stuff to work his "magic".

Finally, you could also try using other plug vendors than bluetubes (if you have them).  I have some bluetubes stuff, but never us it on the mixbus.  I am NOT a fan at all of the T-racks stuff.  Use to have them, don't anymore.

j. armstrong

George_

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:46:56 PM »

thanx a lot guys! Its late here.. keep my answer short.

well, I am not too lazy to deal with all possibilites, but you know how long it takes to mix a song in a non treated room, with little knowledge and little time. My school and my 7 to 5 Job is grabbing 90% of all the time available..

hard to find time mixing.. so I'm sorry.. have to finish this fukken demo by january.

some problem with the kick and the bass. any recommondation how to get this extreme fat kicksounds out of samples? its hammering hard, but no FATNESS... It's damned metal with doublebass but.. its doesnt have this "professional" thinkness without mudding all the bassarea:) diffrent problem.. I'm a littlebit stuck..

cheers!! thanx again!
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

1gibsonMO

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:13:12 PM »

First, you should definitely take a look at the "seperating frequencis" thread.  It deals with much of what you ask in this question.

To give a short answer to the question:

Pick another sample.  One with more bottom.  If you would like a couple of my faves, I would be happy to share by email, just credit me in the liner notes... just kidding!

If you are stuck with the current sample that you are using (meaning you are not going to replace again....hopefully you are not doing by hand!), then you need to decide what needs to be done the current sample to make is sound like what you hear in your head.  What helps me sometimes is to look the frequency analyser curve of the hit.  This gives me a visual of what is happening.  My usual is, cut deep lows (25-30 hz), boost in the 65 hz range for chest.  The sample should have enough snape already.  One caveat, I am a Brenden O'brien, Andy Wallace, and the Johns family, fan so I am shooting for that type of drum sound (which I never get).  Without knowing what you are referencing, it is hard to know what direction you are trying to go.  Low on a Jeff Buckley Record is not the same as low on a Linkin Park record (or maybe it is?).

j. armstrong

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 04:32:58 PM »

with metal, and double bass parts, i'd consider not having a super fat kick drum tone for clarity reasons.  round out the bass tone and use it to fill out the bottom of the mix while the kick just delivers a good solid stab.

with thick rock compression is your friend.

imagineaudio

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 05:23:07 PM »

as far as kick drum sound, and this is coming from a relative noob.....I have had good luck w/ multiband compression and eq tweeking till it sounds like a basketball.  it's like "what the hell?" when it's soloed but really fits in a heavy mix well.

peace,
ryan

EDIT: for introduction.  I didn't realize this was my first post over here.  I've been reading here for a year or so, spend some time over in the marsh, too....just got done with the CaPE thing, it was a blast.
"'Cause life's to short to sound like shit." -Smart guy from the music dept of San Jose State University.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 16 queries.