R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the new analog tape?  (Read 7154 times)

RMoore

Where is the new analog tape?
« on: December 12, 2005, 05:21:30 AM »

I recall hearing about ATR service tape and some start up near me in Holland that was going to do Emtec / BASF style tape?
Never heard anything else,
Did anyone roll out a new tape line yet?
Also heard about Quantegy maybe starting under new ownership but then nothing else,
Any news there?
I'm burning through my 1' tape stocks like crazy Smile
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

RMoore

Re: Where is the new analog tape?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 05:26:12 AM »

Ok - with 1 second of Google searching I found ATR Magnetics which sez Q4 test products/ shipping in 2006:

http://www.nothingsoundsliketape.com/

The pics certainly look convincing!

I just wonder why no one seems to be getting tape on the market eg: I recall the ATR and Emtech machII were supposed to be out in spring 2005,

?

We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

James Perrett

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 08:41:35 AM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 10:21

Also heard about Quantegy maybe starting under new ownership but then nothing else,
Any news there?

While I haven't tried ordering any yet, all the usual suppliers seem to have stock of Quantegy tape now.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

lucey

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:13:56 AM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 05:26

Ok - with 1 second of Google searching I found ATR Magnetics which sez Q4 test products/ shipping in 2006:

http://www.nothingsoundsliketape.com/

The pics certainly look convincing!

I just wonder why no one seems to be getting tape on the market eg: I recall the ATR and Emtech machII were supposed to be out in spring 2005,

?

I just called ATR ... very soon now.  The delays?  City codes, permits, sprinkler systems, testing and retesting, paper or plastic boxes, flanges, etc.  

When it's all perfected we'll have it, long term.

It's an exciting time.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 11:41:33 AM »

Yes.  Quantegy is available.  I have been told though that they are no longer making 499.  It's just 456 and GP9, I believe.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

vernier

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:42:18 PM »

I love Quantegy 456 ..but wish they'd change the name back to Ampex.

RMoore

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 05:14:48 AM »

Ok - thank you men of valour for the update!
Kool,
I don't mind if they call Quantegy 'late for dinner' as long as I can buy me some more of that 456

Daniel Farris

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 10:41:28 AM »

vernier wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 04:42

I love Quantegy 456 ..but wish they'd change the name back to Ampex.

As long as we're fantasizing, can I have Agfa 468 back?

DF

Larrchild

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 03:14:23 AM »

i can live a fine life with just 456.
And agfa was great if you could mix the same day. Otherwise there would be more of your record on the heads than on the backing.=)
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

scottoliphant

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 12:25:18 PM »

love 456 myself, after starting with gp9, seems to sound better to my ears, at least on my deck. be interesting to see if the ATR tape parallels the quantegy tape as far as flavors go

Daniel Farris

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 10:34:43 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Sat, 24 December 2005 08:14

i can live a fine life with just 456.
And agfa was great if you could mix the same day. Otherwise there would be more of your record on the heads than on the backing.=)

When tape was a regular part of my life, I regularly used 468, sometimes 469 and, later, 911. I never really saw much shed with any of them.

DF

Larrchild

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 01:26:11 AM »

Maybe it was our Florida humidity, but 468 enjoyed a baaaad couple of years. 469 and 911 always did fine here.

Bring back Scotch 226 without the binder problem.
Larry Janus

bobkatz

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »

Larrchild wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 01:26

Maybe it was our Florida humidity, but 468 enjoyed a baaaad couple of years. 469 and 911 always did fine here.

Bring back Scotch 226 without the binder problem.

Every tape stock went through a period of shedding before they got their act together. The legends of AGFA do live on, though. BASF 911 is a terrific tape, better sound due to better slitting and better tape to head contact. All that is ancient history now.

What bothers me is that 25 year old Scotch 206 is leaving more crap on the heads and guides than anything (less after baking, of course). I haven't had any samples of AGFA from that era but I'd be really curious!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cdr-1

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 11:44:36 AM »

"What bothers me is that 25 year old Scotch 206 is leaving more crap on the heads and guides than anything (less after baking, of course). I haven't had any samples of AGFA from that era but I'd be really curious!"

I've got about 100 reels of agfa 456 1" from the mid 80's. It seems to shed a lot more than the scotch tape I have from the same time.
"Henceforth I shall suck the teat of the musical welfare state. I have become a DJ."

Larrchild

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 01:47:34 AM »

Things you wouldn't hear today: "Hey lets name it 911!".

I liked 911. The stuff was great. I got some free reels and recorded some spec stuff on it and loved it.
Larry Janus

naughtynige

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 07:18:18 AM »

Just been looking for some new tape for my recently acquired Fostex E16 (it came with 6 boxed "new" - well, about 12-15 year old new reels of Ampex 456 which have deteriorated and are unuseable). I am based in London, UK and have found a supplier that has Agfa 468 (which appears to be new stock) and it's at a reasonable price. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it/use it? Any comments appreciated.

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 05:08:09 AM »

naughtynige wrote on Wed, 11 January 2006 07:18

Just been looking for some new tape for my recently acquired Fostex E16 (it came with 6 boxed "new" - well, about 12-15 year old new reels of Ampex 456 which have deteriorated and are unuseable). I am based in London, UK and have found a supplier that has Agfa 468 (which appears to be new stock) and it's at a reasonable price. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it/use it? Any comments appreciated.

468 requres an entirely different bias than 456 and the bias curve for optimum distortion is quite critical on 468, so it pays to use a distortion analyser to find the sweet spot first. The distortion and noise floor actually have a distinct curve where they get worse if you continue to overbias past the sweet spot.

468 may have a little less headroom than 456 but I can't remember exactly without going through all my old paperwork. But 468 is definitely a "different-sounding" tape; many people think it is a "grainy" tape and not really great at 15 but very good at 30. I certainly prefer the sound of Agfa 469 to 468.

I think that 469 Agfa became 911 BASF if I am correct. 469 is like Ampex 456. 468 is inits own world. It's a low print tape and that makes a big difference, but even 469 has lower print than 456 and much better slitting. 469 was made in response to Ampex so it would be bias compatible.

In short, you may have very good success with your 468 stock if you bias it correctly but buy only a couple of reels and do some good recordings on it to make sure you like the sound at 15 IPS.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

dokushoka

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 03:40:05 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 16:41

Yes.  Quantegy is available.  I have been told though that they are no longer making 499.  It's just 456 and GP9, I believe.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is they only make one format at a time now.  So say, they'll do a bunch of 1/4, 1/2, 2" 456, then fill those orders and move on to different sizes of 499 etc.  I bought a NEW shipment of 499 a few months back.  I wouldn't worry.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 12:46:52 AM »

Ahhhh, but there is a new 911!

http://www.rmgi-usa.com/

Barry

Max.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »

I'll believe it as soon as there are new reels on my tape machine.
RMGI have been postponing the shipping of SM911 since summer. I've emailed them in October and was told that new tape should be ready in December. Latest news I've heard from the Netherlands was that they are producing some broadcast tape for the French market.
I plan to stick to SM911 but I only have five new reels left from the final EMTEC production in Munich and I really hope that RMGI gets things sorted out.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.