R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Røde, M-Audio Mics  (Read 3087 times)

TonyF

Røde, M-Audio Mics
« on: November 20, 2005, 07:08:35 AM »

Thanks for the welcome.  I regularly hop round the internet for interesting discussions, and your site about microphone practices and minutiae is great.

Has there been any discussion of some of the newer non-German, non-Austrian designs of microphone?   I tried some of the Rode pencil mics not long ago and they were useful as well as an amazing price.  M-Audio do a Class A large diaphragm variable polar diagram mic called a Solaris for the price below that of some replacement capsules for my mics.  Has anyone tried them?

Tony

compasspnt

Re: Mic Mounts- A Discussion of New Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:50:56 AM »

Hi Tony,

I haven't used the M-Audio, but the Rode, I have used a lot.  I did an album at the Fox Trackdown Scoring Stage in Sydney recently, a HUGE, lovely room where they do all of their movie orchestral recording.  They had literally hundreds of the Rode NT-5's and they use them all of the time for violins, violas, celli, woodwinds, and other orchestral instruments.  So I bought a couple, and I really like them.  They are somewhat like my old KM-84's, are not overly bright, and are quite smooth sounding.  They make a stereo version which is quite nice.

Best regards!

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »

I've been having a love/hate affair with my NT5s and NT1000.  I bought them on a bit of a whim and imediately regreted the purchase.... however, I stated to use the NT5s in places that I wouldn't normally stick my KM184s or 451, like taped to a 57 on a snare, or taped to a 421 on toms... I've started to dig the sound of these mics, and since they weren't super expensive, I don't worry about them as much as I would a KM184.  The NT1000 on the other hand finds it'self sitting in the box more than I'd like.  I've tried it on plenty of soures and I often find it harsh in the 3-6K range.

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

Tomas Danko

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »

My experience with the NT1000 is that sometimes you'll find that the 3-6K range is just what the doctor ordered, compared to a U87. But sometimes, especially with loud sources, it saturates and almost craps out around that 3-6K range. The deal here is of course to match it with a suitable preamp to rectify this a tad bit. It's worked for me many times, and I've used the NT1000 on more sources than most other similarily priced microphones.

Sincerely,

Tomas Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Ryan Leigh Patterson

Re: Røde, M-Audio Mics
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:51:57 PM »

Good to know....

I know this mic is capable of sounding better than most people would like to admit, but I've yet to find a preamp that likes it.  Any suggestions?  

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 02:21:11 AM »

Have you tried The Brick?

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 10:36:52 PM »

Nope.... never even crossed my mind, hmmm....

What would the Brick compare to?  The Brick is the Groove Tubes pre, correct?

I'm generally an API guy if that helps....but I've thought about getting one or two of the TAB V-78s...
Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 12:13:18 AM »

Yes, The Brick is from Groove Tubes.

http://mercenary.com/grtubr.html

Also YES, the TAB V-78 would be a great choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.