R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for another song/mix contest?  (Read 5533 times)

floodstage

Re: Time for another song/mix contest?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

I enjoyed participating in the last "exercise".  It was a lot of fun to attempt to write something to a drum track that was completely different than what I'm used to playing.

The drums being so different from what I'm used to (and dealing with the stumble towards the end) was what made it a stretch and thus interesting for me.

I would say that if you go with an alternate tuning to make things interesting, why not specify that everyone use a tuning that they do not normally play.

On a somewhat related note, I noticed that the last exercise had quite a few entries.   I wondered if participation was good because drums were provided.  You didn't have to come up with drums so anyone with a bedroom studio could knock out an entry.

Discussion after the fact was almost nil (and I'm to blame as much as the next guy on that).  That was a bummer.  Heck, Fibes never even owned up to which one was his!

Just came up with an idea.

How about requiring an altenate tuning that that person does not normally play AND prohibit drums altogether?

Now that would be different!

Bivouac

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 06:45:03 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 15:16

Let's just say alternate tuning TBD and figure out what else we're doing so His Royal Highness the Thread Master will give us a venue.  

Whoa!

I certainly didn't mean to come off as controlling.  I'm just so excited that I want to get the ball rolling.  Believe me, I'd be more than happy to just participate...

Did I understand you correctly?

Again, I think the alt tuning thing is a great idea because it ties everything together but still allows for so much freedom.  I could care less about the tuning too.  I'd love to try something new that someone else enjoys--just throwing out some ideas.  I think everyone just selecting a tuning they normally don't use is a great idea as well...

DADEAD doesn't have anything above standard pitch--it's all down.  I've only been able to write one song in it, but it turned out pretty well.  Lot's of cool dissonances...Love the observation by the way.  I'm calling it the "Dead Dad" tuning from now on...

I had an idea of doing, like, a murder mystery game where everyone selects a character in a house.  Like I mentioned above, cheesey, but it would be a great exercise in character development within the context of verse.  Almost like the Canterbury Tales, but set to music...

...We could then look at some provided evidence and figure out who is guilty.  You know: "The indie poseur, at The Bottleneck, with his pretentions..."

NelsonL

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 06:54:33 PM »

Bivouac wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 15:45

rattleyour wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 15:16

Let's just say alternate tuning TBD and figure out what else we're doing so His Royal Highness the Thread Master will give us a venue.  

Whoa!

I certainly didn't mean to come off as controlling.  I'm just so excited that I want to get the ball rolling.  Believe me, I'd be more than happy to just participate...

Did I understand you correctly?

Again, I think the alt tuning thing is a great idea because it ties everything together but still allows for so much freedom.  I could care less about the tuning too.  I'd love to try something new that someone else enjoys--just throwing out some ideas.  I think everyone just selecting a tuning they normally don't use is a great idea as well...

DADEAD doesn't have anything above standard pitch--it's all down.  I've only been able to write one song in it, but it turned out pretty well.  Lot's of cool dissonances...Love the observation by the way.  I'm calling it the "Dead Dad" tuning from now on...

I had an idea of doing, like, a murder mystery game where everyone selects a character in a house.  Like I mentioned above, cheesey, but it would be a great exercise in character development within the context of verse.  Almost like the Canterbury Tales, but set to music...

...We could then look at some provided evidence and figure out who is guilty.  You know: "The indie poseur, at The Bottleneck, with his pretentions..."

No, no. Not you Bivouac. I was jokingly flaming J. Hall-- not directed at you in the least my friend. 100% good natured ribbing of our esteemed moderator.

And yes, that's why I picked out DADEAD in particular, no need to pitch things up where the string tension gets heinous.

Also, it makes for an interesting two word sentance.

Like yourself, I'm just brainstorming here, not overly attached to any one concept.

So, uh-- I'll shut up now.

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 10:03:48 PM »

flood is on to something about the drums

i think more people participated because i handed out drum tracks.

what we could do this time is i couldgive every one a verse beat, chorus and third maybe fourth beat.  lift the restictions of editing and sound replacing.  just get some beats to people so you can start building.

that way you don't have to find a drummer......i'll be every one's drummer......OH BOY.

the murder mystery thing is not bad.

i think a better way to put is, right a song about a person....almost like a musical character description.  that would be fairly difficult.

i think you can hone that idea a bit and get something a little more workable out of it.....keep brainstorming.

Rivers

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 11:44:14 PM »

I definitely like having the drum or some kind of rhythm tracks.
I've never played around much with mondo drum editing or stiching a drum track together but that would be a good chance to learn.

I also think the alternate tuning idea could be cool.

Tracking everything with same Mic and one Pre sounds interesting as well.
Smell the Magic
http://www.katp.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.