R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Steve) Guitar sound on Sovereign  (Read 4465 times)

finster

(Steve) Guitar sound on Sovereign
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:39:29 PM »

Hey Steve, im a huge fan of your work, and im thrilled you have your own forum now, thats just awesome! Very Happy

Quick question.

On the album Sovereign by Neurosis, if you recall, could you tell me

1.What you used to get that killer guitar sound?

And

2. What you strapped across the drum bus?

The tone of that album is amazing!

Id love to know whatever you could tell me about how that sound was created.

Thanks so much.

-Chris

canada

Re: (Steve) Guitar sound on Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 04:28:27 AM »

I second this.  Also what the fuck method did you use for the stereo image on Blessed Black Wings... or is that a patented Albini affair?!
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

finster

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 06:49:05 AM »

Yeah, blessed.... the song with the drum intro!
Good god the imaging is just massive!
Give it up Steve, how'd ya do it?! Very Happy

My band just opened up for them recently, and it was akiller gig.
But ill admit i was a bit dissapointed when i heard that intro and the imaging wasnt as tits! Surprised

finster

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 05:10:25 AM »

(bump)

pg666

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 12:38:01 PM »

well, as long as we're geeking out here..

'Times of Grace': I'm impressed with how separated all of the instruments sound knowing it was done in the B room (and knowing Neurosis is loud as fuck). Was that one tracked live? I'm curious about the guitars too; it sounds like there's a touch of compression on some parts, is that so?

Anyway, it's a great record on all fronts and a true test for any stereo!

finster

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 05:57:07 PM »

bump! Very Happy

spoon

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 06:02:57 PM »

finster wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 20:39

Hey Steve, im a huge fan of your work, and im thrilled you have your own forum now, thats just awesome! Very Happy

He has had his own forum (and continues to have it) over here:
http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/

There is alot of good info there too.

Regards,
spoon

electrical

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 03:44:17 AM »

finster wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 21:39

A while ago, I decided to stop being annoyed that people use the word "awesome" all the time, thereby making this once-special word mundane. I decided that when someone said something was "awesome," I would imagine they meant it in the literal sense: So great and imposing that it strikes everyone dumb with awe. Unfathomable, humbling greatness. The burning bush speaking with the voice of God almighty, etc.

"Awesome milkshake." I imagine it 100 feet tall, looming in the distance, mist pouring down its sides like a Saturn rocket, shuddering the earth with its weight.

"Awesome guitar solo." I imagine it bringing entire villages to tears with its power and terrifying beauty. It will enter the canon beside Beethoven's Grosse Fugue.

I even began using the term myself, in a kind of yield-to-the-Dark-Side sense.

But now, I must imagine my modest little forum being "awesome," and alas, it is impossible. An internet forum is incapable of inspiring awe. Still, thank you.

Quote:

On the album Sovereign by Neurosis, if you recall, could you tell me

1.What you used to get that killer guitar sound?

I don't recall the guitars being treated specially. Steve vonTill and Scott have amplifiers and effects they have honed through years of experimentation, and they bring the sound with them wherever they go. Steve uses an old-school Mesa amplifier and cabinet, Scott uses a Marshall JMP. Steve's overdrive sounds come from an MXR Distortion+ and a Rat. I don't think Scott uses any pedals.

The mics would have been some combination of a ribbon mic and a condenser mic , maybe an RCA74 or RCABK5 and a U67 or Lomo 19a9 on Steve's amp, and for Scott's amp, probably an STC 4038 (like the Coles mic) and a Sony C37p or a Manley CR3. Something like that. I probably used an ambient mic, but the isolation room is pretty dead, so it was more of a phase-widening utility than a reverberant sound.

Quote:

And

2. What you strapped across the drum bus?

There was nothing done to the drums as bus processing. There was no stereo master bus processing until the mastering session, and even there, there was little but EQ and two or three dB of peak limiting. Dave Collins wrote about his cut of this record in the old RecPit. Maybe he can post his thoughts again.

The drums were recorded in the large live room of Electrical Audio's studio B, and the guitars were recorded at the same time in the adjoining isolation "dead" room. The sound in that isolation room is deader than dead, but there was some bleed into the live room. Noah's keyboard amplifiers, if I'm not mistaken, were set-up in the live room, and his stuff played into the ambience there as well.

Quote:

The tone of that album is amazing!

I'm sure you meant "awesome." Thank you in any case, but the credit goes to Neurosis. Their records are remarkably easy to make, since they have their aesthetic and their sounds so completely in-hand when they get to the studio.

best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

finster

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 04:21:26 AM »

Hey thanks for the tips Steve much appriciated. Very Happy
And man, i had no idea you had such disdain for the word awesome.
Ill have to remeber that lol.

Anyways thanks, and im glad youre here.

-Chris

cenafria

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 05:24:36 AM »

Um... Awesome!

Seriously though, this forum is really cool. Steve, your posts are always interesting and useful. Thanks!

Javier Ortiz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 16 queries.