R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down

Author Topic: How Come Many Musicians Prefer The Sound Of Analogue?  (Read 63036 times)

JamSync

Re: How Come Many Musicians Prefer The Sound Of Analogue?
« Reply #390 on: December 27, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »

DivideByZero wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 15:49

Just in case you guys are looking for the next really big thread, I thought I'd chime in with one I am watching.

PHNT: Potentially Huge New Thread

M

Maybe not as big, but certainly equal in its irritating stupidity.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »

Johnny B wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 22:53

Intel's Mr. Otellini is, in essence, telegraphing the message:

All the existing digital gear is obsolete.

Obsolete means no longer useful, there's a world of difference between that and simply not being cutting edge.

rnicklaus

« Reply #392 on: December 27, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »

JamSync wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 14:54

Just in case you guys are looking for the next really big thread, I thought I'd chime in with one I am watching.

M

What's that comment about?
R.N.

t(h)ik

« Reply #393 on: December 27, 2005, 07:10:47 PM »

C'mon guys it's christmas for christ's sake.

Peace on Earth...goodwill and all that.

I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

Tidewater

« Reply #394 on: December 27, 2005, 08:22:59 PM »

lmao... kk, randy, and tik..

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

CCC

« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2005, 09:14:09 PM »

JamSync wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 17:54

M

Yes and or no. That other thread is pretty stupid, but this one is "Ann Coulter" stupid, which is a little beyond "you can't get pregnant the first time" stupid, and approaching "Church of Scientology invading a foreign country over non-existent weapons of mass destruction under the command of Pauly Shore" stupid. Now that - that's stupid.

Tidewater

« Reply #396 on: December 27, 2005, 10:23:52 PM »

HAH!

M

Ronny

« Reply #397 on: December 27, 2005, 11:24:36 PM »

John Sorensen wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 13:40

I rest my case.  Rolling Eyes

You could have rested your case, way back when he had his foot in his mouth. Now it's up to his knee.  Laughing
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

PaulyD

« Reply #398 on: December 28, 2005, 02:34:19 AM »

Johnny B wrote on Mon, 26 December 2005 15:50

sixtiksix,

Emmm, so far, the data strongly suggest that young women have far better ears than old, middle-aged, white men.

Whether or not this holds true for various groups of women of different ages or national origins is an "open question." A comprehensive, properly constructed, and properly conducted study by unbiased multidisciplinary teams of qualified experts will provide the sound science that answers the question.

The hearing ability of people of different age groups, races, and gender has been well-established by Bell Laboratories. The result of their research was used to create the logarithmic scale we use today to measure dBSPL. It was determined that black females from 18 - 22 years of age have the most sensitive hearing. The quietest average sound that 18 - 22 year old black females could hear became the 0 dBSPL reference point. 0 dBSPL is not the complete absence of sound, just quietest sound a human can hear.

Johnny B wrote on Mon, 26 December 2005 15:50

As to the importance for the unbiased team of multidisciplinary experts to utilise pulse-rate monitoring and heart-rate monitoring, the data suggest that the low-end frequencies often have a positive influence on these human activities. For example, more accurate scientific data in regard to heart and pulse rates would be extremely helpful to those seeking to exploit the dance market.  In any event, bass frequencies are extremely important and must be a part of any comprehensive study of human beings reactions to sound.

Musicologists have known for years that different textures, timbres, tempos, amplitudes, modes, intervals, etc can be used to evoke physiological responses in humans. Ask any experienced DJ about what happens when they pump up the bass. It gets people out on the dance floor. No mystery there.

It's amazing what can be learned by reading books. It's not all about Google. Put into practice, that which is learned from books can make one a better listener and a better engineer...if that were possible...

Apologies to everyone else for feeding the troll...

maxim

« Reply #399 on: December 28, 2005, 03:57:28 AM »

go on, it's fun to feed it

just watch it doesn't bite your fingers though

Johnny B

« Reply #400 on: December 29, 2005, 08:07:47 AM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 23:16

Johnny B wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 22:53

Intel's Mr. Otellini is, in essence, telegraphing the message:

All the existing digital gear is obsolete.

Obsolete means no longer useful, there's a world of difference between that and simply not being cutting edge.

Since when was digital ever useful? Perhaps its useful for decimating 3D analogue sound waves...chopping them up, slicing and dicing them, and turning them into neat little zeros and ones that will be sent thru bad digital math and come out sounding...thin, cold, brittle, and ice cold.

But whether or not analogue still sounds far superior to digital is beside the point, all that digital gear is now, always was, or soon will be

OBSOLETE...

It's funny that anyone would even try to deny that all things digital go obsolete rather quickly. It's difficult to think of things that go obsolete faster than digital gear and computer software...

Ok John, so while everybody gets a 10-fold increase in Intel's new CPU performance, you are going to keep plugging away with whatever digital gear you now have?  I suppose you may feel that all the chip makers, all the software houses, all the people working on new formats, and next gen AD/DA chips are all going to sit still and wait for you? Don't think so.

Many of you will all be going crazy again, buying new digital gear, and trying to integrate it to get the crap to work.

Good luck with all the new digital gear, software, headaches, and extra expense.

Cheers. Smile

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

Larrchild

« Reply #401 on: December 29, 2005, 12:27:16 PM »

arent they missing you at gearslutz?
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #402 on: December 29, 2005, 01:09:25 PM »

Johnny B wrote on Thu, 29 December 2005 13:07

Since when was digital ever useful?

Hmmm, I guess you're just talking about audio, either way this is an incredibly stupid question.

Perhaps its useful for decimating 3D analogue sound waves

That would be those 3 dimensional signals coming out of your microphones which have the 3 dimensions of time, level and ...???

...chopping them up, slicing and dicing them, and turning them into neat little zeros and ones that will be sent thru bad digital math and come out sounding...thin, cold, brittle, and ice cold.

If what you have comes out that bad then I'd blame your technique... except I think you've made it plain that you don't actually use the stuff you complain about or rave about.

But whether or not analogue still sounds far superior to digital is beside the point, all that digital gear is now, always was, or soon will be

OBSOLETE...

It's funny that anyone would even try to deny that all things digital go obsolete rather quickly. It's difficult to think of things that go obsolete faster than digital gear and computer software...

Yeah, my notebook suddenly stopped working as soon as one was released with a faster processor, and would you believe it, all my software stopped working when the next version came out.

Strange how I still make a living from it though

Ok John, so while everybody gets a 10-fold increase in Intel's new CPU performance, you are going to keep plugging away with whatever digital gear you now have?

Now in my case that would be silly, because since I'm a programmer a 10-fold increase in system performance would save me enough time that the gear would pay for itself.
I'll upgrade my four year old notebook for something faster and lighter this year for exactly that reason, though it's not a tenfold increase, more like 2 or 3.
For recording/mixing etc the same rules can still apply, you buy new gear if you feel that the extra functionality it brings you will help you make more money or have more spare time... no different from expanding your analogue studio with a new compressor.

I suppose you may feel that all the chip makers, all the software houses, all the people working on new formats, and next gen AD/DA chips are all going to sit still and wait for you? Don't think so.

What do I care about them? New formats I can always convert to and from, I can always write the program to do it if I have to. As for converters well to be honest I generally get given converters which are better than I need for my day job. If I wanted to record something super-hifi I'd just have to invest in something by Dan, or perhaps Prism or Apogee or whoever - would make the decision when it was neccessary.

Many of you will all be going crazy again, buying new digital gear, and trying to integrate it to get the crap to work.

Good luck with all the new digital gear, software, headaches, and extra expense.

Computers give me shit sometimes, but they're the least of my problems.

maxim

« Reply #403 on: December 29, 2005, 08:50:44 PM »

this is what i heard leonard cohen say last night on tv:

" ... coventional wisdom dictates that you should mix in the analogue domain, however, when we transferred the tracks onto tape, the warmth of digital disappeared.. i know it's supposed to be the other way around, but... there you go"

here, troll, try chewing on that

Tidewater

« Reply #404 on: December 30, 2005, 01:14:12 PM »

haha.. ahhh...

One day, it will be Easter, and this thread will be starting to crawl by then. I imagine first words.. by Labor Day.

M
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.