R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crappy Drums  (Read 13873 times)

rankus

Re: Crappy Drums
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »

RKrizman wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 18:54

electrical wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 14:45

rankus wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 14:14

It's all fun and games until one of your engineering buddies says "ummm dude about that drum sound"

To which I respond, "Who the fuck asked you, crankbite?" or "Would you like some more cocoa?" or something similar.

I swear, "drum sound" is the tail wagging the dog in this industry.  

I've recorded guys playing their trap cases for a basic track, and it's been fine.

-R

Ya,  I think it was Eddie Kramer who said "No one ever walked out of a record store humming a drum sound".... words to live by for sure....  

(He says he will leave the studio if it takes more than 20 mins to mic a kit and get tones)
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

TotalSonic

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »

rankus wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 19:16

Ya,  I think it was Eddie Kramer who said "No one ever walked out of a record store humming a drum sound".... words to live by for sure....  

(He says he will leave the studio if it takes more than 20 mins to mic a kit and get tones)

Which might be the reason why I often am disappointed by the sound he got for Mitch Mitchell on a lot of those Hendrix records.

I agree - a great song is much much more important than drum sound ever will be.  Still it doesn't hurt to have a recording that enhances impact instead of detracting from it.   Anyway - usually great drummers equate to great sounds though a lot more than great kits do.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Fig

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 03:40

If someone brings in a set I deem crappy I immediately stomp around imperiously and force them to play THIS:

Steve,

What the heck are those things?  I haven't seen toms with flared bottoms like that before.

Like Alex Van Halen meets Salvador Dali.  Who makes those??

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

xonlocust

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 04:49:31 PM »

Fig wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 15:11

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 03:40

If someone brings in a set I deem crappy I immediately stomp around imperiously and force them to play THIS:

Steve,

What the heck are those things?  I haven't seen toms with flared bottoms like that before.

Like Alex Van Halen meets Salvador Dali.  Who makes those??

Fig

North drums i do believe.

RKrizman

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 14:30

Which might be the reason why I often am disappointed by the sound he got for Mitch Mitchell on a lot of those Hendrix records.

What did you want them to sound like, the Eagles?

On those Hendrix sessions, if he had spent any more time on the drums he would have captured a different moment--and that would have been a tragic shame.

-R

TotalSonic

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 06:34:59 PM »

RKrizman wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 23:24

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 14:30

What did you want them to sound like, the Eagles?

ugh, ummm errr NO!  Geez - not even the Eagles should ever have to sound like the Eagles.

How about - just more like drums sound in a nice room, with each drum audible and defined

Quote:

On those Hendrix sessions, if he had spent any more time on the drums he would have captured a different moment--and that would have been a tragic shame.

Not so sure this would have been the case.  And to me  it actually is a nice thing we'll never know - those records are what they are and are indeed "classics".  
and Eddie was certainly up against some technical & time limitations that weren't under his control for some of those sessions.  
&
Don't get me wrong -  I truly love all the Experience Records - Electric Ladyland is a desert island record of mine for sure.   But I still don't go to the Experience records for examples of a recording that contains my favorite "drum sounds"
Obviously - OMMV.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 06:36:03 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 21:49

North drums i do believe.

Hee hee - yup - them's the ones.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bobkatz

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 07:25:30 AM »

rankus wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 14:16

of Eddie Kramer...

Now that's a smart engineer! I give it an hour, tops  Smile

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jetbase

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 05:54:37 PM »

i find that most of the time spent on drums is taken up before i put a mic near the kit (unless the drummer has his/her dums sorted out - rattles, tuning, etc). it usually takes me 1/2 hour to an hour from the time i start micing up, depending on what technique i'm using.

g
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

craig boychuk

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2005, 01:51:31 PM »

Axis: Bold As Love has some really good drum sounds, in my opinion.

-craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

chrisj

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 06:20:38 PM »

Yeah, seriously. I would go to early Hendrix for certain awesome drum sounds. "Fire". "Hey Joe". The way the snare fill goes into the kick drum over "I gave her the gun- I shot her!" on that last song is one of the wonders of sound for me. Of course I listen to that one off an old steamboat three-color Reprise-label vinyl record, which is kinda good at presenting the things we like about analog... vibe for days, for years...

sui-city

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2005, 07:24:19 AM »

rankus wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 14:14

Ya,  I think it was Eddie Kramer who said "No one ever walked out of a record store humming a drum sound"....

Tell that to Rahzel or Dokaka
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.