R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 827 Cal / DMM Suggestion  (Read 4786 times)

Sockit

• Real Full Name: Devon Kirkpatrick
Studer 827 Cal / DMM Suggestion
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:20:08 PM »

I have an Studer 827 that I am trying to do a cal on. I have gone through most of the software calibration settings but am getting distortion on some tracks on playback. The playback cal seems to be fine after checking it with a client tape. I'm thinking that I need to take readings on the input at the test point on the cards. I do not have a true rms meter and have been looking at the fluke 287. Would this meter be a good choice for this and any other DMM readings I need to take to maintain this machine? Thanks.
Devon Kirkpatrick
http:///www.sockitstudio.com
[email protected]
http://devonkirkpatrickwaves.blogspot.com/
Waves Street Team Member

michaeldtech

• Real Full Name: Mike Donahower
Re: Studer 827 Cal / DMM Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21:35 AM »

Yes.  That is a good meter.  The best studio meter is the Fluke 8060A which you can get used only.  NOS runs about $175.  Just to get a general idea you can use any meter.  You are looking for something different than the rest, so the meter will not matter much for a simple check.

If you do not have an MRL, how do you know if the client's tape is correct?  The good trick on the A820/827 is to look at the hexi-decimal values of the channels in each of your cal sections.  If the tape tones or electronics are incorrect, then you will see some values that are out of the average range.  This is a great way to look for caps that are going bad.  All channels in a cal should be within +/- 6.  Usually they are much closer on machines with good heads and electronics.

MrMegaEli

• Real Full Name: Leaf L
Re: Studer 827 Cal / DMM Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »

+1 on the 8060a
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.