R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: off axis recording  (Read 2281 times)

.nathan.kosakowski.

off axis recording
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:08:19 AM »

three new topics in one day, phew...

now, i understand using off-axis micing for different responses, glancing air blasts, etc.  my question is for vocals.

i usually end up with the mic (u87, c12, etc) angled slightly down to the preformers chest to get a fuller sound.  but i have seen others aiming the mic up, placed rather high, with the preformer singing into the the bottom at about 45 degrees.  i would think this would exastrabate nasalness quite a bit...  

haven't had guinea pigs lately to experiment with, but could anyone ellaborate on the cirsumstances that would require this.  i mean, i understand getting the tone right, but i just see this same position often enough to think it has a regular use.
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

J.J. Blair

Re: off axis recording
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:49:34 AM »

It will only exacerbate nasalness if they are singing through their nose.

If it is pointing up (I'm assuming the mic is upside down), you can get it closer to them than the other way around, and they have a clear shot at the capsule through the top of the basket.  Also, if it is upside down and you are pointing the mic at their chest, you have to deal with the mic's body getting in the way and blocking some of the sound.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

.nathan.kosakowski.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 02:26:54 PM »

yea, i'm up to snuff on all that...  yes the mic is upside down, but i see it a good 12", even 18" from someone's jabberin' yaw (just wanted to put that in somewhere).  i always figured it would be a way of cutting out the muddy stuff by tailoring to a certain frequency response, but it seems you invariably end up with a low shelf filter of sorts and not a bell cut...  unless you end up boosting lows in mix, resulting in something...

oh bother... just one of those little things that i couldn't quite place the reason for...  when they are 12"+ away from the mic... maybe its a room sound thing...
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

rankus

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 02:55:27 PM »

It can be due to the type of singing as well.  

If it's an "intimate" breathy song then the singer should be right up "lips on the mic".  But if if it's a real "belt it out" type of tune then back a foot or three and some off axis will probably help....

I like to track my background vox with a mic further back and possibly off axis as well... To give a little sense of space... (More room when off axis as well)
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 16 queries.