R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 80-200Hz fatness?  (Read 15936 times)

mikepecchio

Re: 80-200Hz fatness?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 11:18:43 PM »

lots of good input already.

First thing that comes to my mind for warm rich sound with a little bulr... slight "bass halo" or whatever, is Neve. not necesarily any processing, just run thru any one of the old  line amp, compressor or EQ modules 1272, 1271, 1073 1066, 2254 etc (with the class-A output circuit).  There is DC flowing thru the output transformer in that circuit and it does something unique to the low end.  by the way some of the more popular neve gear like the 1081, 2087, 33105, 33609's, etc have a different circuit and sound quite different in the low end. IMO.

got alot of extra money? this seems pretty obvious -- how about a pair of pultecs?

EDIT:  I just thought of this.. has anyone ever tried running mixes thru a pair of mcintosh tube power amps?  you'd have to pad the output a bit.  I love that sound on SOME material.  I can't imagine it making sterile techno sound worse.

mike p

jazzius

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 02:00:07 AM »

The Hedd will add thickness to that 80-200 range...for days....nothing else (that i've tried) will do this so well without damaging other parts of the spectrum......Dazzer

dcollins

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 02:55:23 AM »

jazzius wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 23:00

The Hedd will add thickness to that 80-200 range...for days....nothing else (that i've tried) will do this so well without damaging other parts of the spectrum......Dazzer

Which knob(s) did you turn?

How much?

DC

lagerfeldt

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 05:23:05 AM »

jazzius wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 08:00

The more I read about it, the more I'm thinking the Hedd 192 might be the answer to my dreams. I'm just a bit hesistant to get another digital machine, but if it sounds good it sounds good..

jazzius

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 08:03:08 AM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 07:55

jazzius wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 23:00

Which knob(s) did you turn?

How much?

DC

pentode, tape.........how much?.....depends on the level of incoming and what I'm trying to achieve..I've been known to push it well beyond bedtime on occasion....the more you spank it, the more corrective EQ'ing you have to do afterwards (or more likely before) to compensate certain certain areas.........Darius

lagerfeldt

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 11:40:31 AM »

While not sounding analog or really fat, the Maxx Bass treatment (freq=100Hz, min. decay, steep slope) did add a nice fullness that EQ couldn't bring to the table in my case. Thanks.

I'll keep on experimenting until I find a method or piece of gear that'll target this need even better.

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 11:44:28 AM »

Pentode is probably a little more pointy in the upper mids than he's looking for. Possibly use the tape knob for this, but it's hard to tell without hearing what he wants...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

HansP

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 12:58:57 PM »

electronic or dance, depending on the particular style, can have a certain beauty und pureness that is the opposite of rock-style saturation techniques, so I would be careful. but possibly valve and tape processing can improve. also the maxbass might do well because it can become extremely fat by design and so you need not push the controls too strong.
a 2-band compressor with a large transition width might be also of great help. normal multiband can be dangerous and makes it difficult to keep the sound together. results should keep a certain clean steadyness and not float and pump too much. you should feel the beat like a strong handle or grid where you as a listener can grasp hold.

robot gigante

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 01:02:17 PM »

I think the HEDD tape function sounds fantastic on electronic and dance music personally.  It's one of my favorite uses for it- it doesn't change the feel of the music at all, just fattens it.

ammitsboel

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 23:28

I'm looking for some way of warming up the low end. Gaining a lot on my Gyratec X (Vari Mu) goes a long way and also increases the stereo perception a lot (I call it Daddy's Little Helper).

What you need might be a somewhat "lossy component", a device that knocks off the clinical sound and adds a nice colour to what's left. Cheap "specifically chosen" copper cables can often do a lot of it and the rest could be done by playing around with your analog units to find out what combination of ins/outs after each other that sounds the best for your purpose. Imagine yourself as the chef that has to cut off the bad part of the ingredients in order to make the perfect compromise.

You could also enter the world of custom modding for specific purposes...??
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

ammitsboel

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 01:46:13 PM »

jazzius wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 07:00

That's what my G10 does and there is plenty of it!??
Not to be an analog geek but I don't think the Hedd is what he's looking for. It might be 50% or maybe 60% of the way though.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

lagerfeldt

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »

Henrik, have you changed the setup so you can now get hotter levels into the GX, and then really turn up the gain ALL the way?

I'm doing this a lot lately, have you checked out what it does to the harmonics, it's f*cking incredible! You can actually view it in a freq analyzer, the harmonics just spike all the way up when you turn the dial and the sound gets fuller, creamy and full of life and details.

Also the stereo width is enhanced in a way no stereo plugin does. This has got to be the most magical piece of gear ever. Basically it's just good tube design I guess, but it never siezes to amaze me.

Viitalahde

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 03:44:23 PM »

Yes - the G10 is incredible in this matter. Partially tubes, partially transformers.

I find myself using less EQ to fix these kind of bass problems.

To drive it more, I just pre-gain using the gain of the SSL mixbuss compressor clone in the rack.  Cool
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

lagerfeldt

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 21:44

Yes - the G10 is incredible in this matter. Partially tubes, partially transformers.

I find myself using less EQ to fix these kind of bass problems.

To drive it more, I just pre-gain using the gain of the SSL mixbuss compressor clone in the rack.  Cool

Do you use the SSL first, then the G10, or the other way around?

fj

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 07:32:32 PM »

Speaking of the HEDD, I'm curious how people are using the triode knob. It seems that it may add in the area the post is addressing. Which types of productions does it help on, what do you feel it adds, how much do you use?

I have had limited luck using the triode knob with some of the more "open" mixes I have worked with, but my unit is still new and I wouldn't call my self comfortable enough with the unit to make my own recommendations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.