R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'am i the only one' or 'convoluted m/s techniques'  (Read 3131 times)

.nathan.kosakowski.

'am i the only one' or 'convoluted m/s techniques'
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:46:33 PM »

lately i've been on a mid/side kick.  but about 6 months ago i had a drum recording with only one room mic.  just happened to be a ribbon doing the 'side' thing 10' back or so, but thats beside the point.

mixing i ended up panning it hard left and making a copy hard right, with reverse polarity.  kinda like M/S but using the whole drum kit as the middle channel.  just put it in there a wee bit and it made a nice ambient enchancment.

then i had a acoustic recorded both di and with a mic (cardiod, 12th fret, at sound hole, etc etc).  was going to hard left/right these as the client had been doing, but it sucked.  so... di up the middle, mic treated as the side channel.  one left, one right flipped.  

i think it sounded brilliant.  not double tracked but still huge.  could get it a few db shy of being the same level as the 'mid' channel without getting all phasey (great word, btw...)  even down really low, it was way more dramatic than any mid/side mic combo i've done in the past.  mess with sample delay on the di/mid channel and there is all sorts of fun.

anyhoo, i've been expanding on these concepts lately, but never really observed or read about anyone else doing M/S with things that aren't really M/S (mics in different places with non-standard pickup patterns with things that may or not be mic'd anyway).

best is taking a mono reverb, and multing to the two side channels, and putting delays with modulated feedback on both, with slightly off settings...

....wwwwwaaaaaAAAAOOOSSSHHHH!!!!--> --> -->

mmm... shoegazer never went out of style.
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

compasspnt

Re: 'am i the only one' or 'convoluted m/s techniques'
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 12:45:56 AM »

Interesting.  How do the drums and acoustic sound in mono?  Did you check?

wavdoctor

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:21:55 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 05:45

my first question also!?
HB
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

CCC

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 08:27:34 AM »

wavdoctor wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 08:21

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 05:45

my first question also!?
HB

The so-called S component will vanish in mono.

rwj1313

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 09:17:12 AM »

.nathan.kosakowski. wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 22:46

could get it a few db shy of being the same level as the 'mid' channel without getting all phasey (great word, btw...)

Thank You,
Razz
Rick
If you think you're finished at the dance, you are quitting too soon.    William Wittman

you need the fat to protect the stomach lining against alcohol, and the alcohol to cut through the fat in the bloodstream so, it's beer & doughnuts for me.  Maxim

.nathan.kosakowski.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »

hell yes i checked mono, thats kinda been the beauty of it all...  i still cant get over how huge this acoustic sound without being all phasey.

for what its worth, initially doing this, collapsing to mono resulted in a di acoustic with nothing much in the way of ambience.  put a little mono verb on the di, give it some space, or i've also been putting little mono verbs on the two sides (different verb on each, not one flipped out of phase)  depending on the amount of ambience on the mic tracks.  my rooms are ridiculously live (i'm a sucker for bombastic drums/room mics), so it is not always nessecary.  but being that these are different verbs i even had the difference that was left after collapsing to mono be enough to give the di some space (this does vary greatly of course).

drums collapsed just fine since there is plenty of ambience without the side channel.  on the drums it is very subtle, just giving it life without getting a big room sound (which is pretty much default here without getting nuts on the gobos).  just a little life that you would miss if it was gone.

played with the acoustic last night more, its interesting to play with sample/track delays.  when first setup, the sides are much later than they should be, giving exaggerated expanding sound (mid to sides felling, motion), delayed a contracting sound, even it was i've used mostly...

some of the tunes are played on am radio, so i do keep mono in mind.
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

.nathan.kosakowski.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »

rwj1313 wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 08:17

could get it a few db shy of being the same level as the 'mid' channel without getting all phasey (great word, btw...)

Thank You,
Razz
Rick

is this something your trademarked? Smile thinking of using it as a acidrock shoegazer swirly wirly band name...   maybe...

phasey is one of those beloved technical terms like the troubleshooting "technical tap" or the quantitative "cunt hair".  much more political correct than 0.5 dB
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

rwj1313

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 04:09:02 PM »

.nathan.kosakowski. wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 13:43

rwj1313 wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 08:17

Thank You,
Razz
Rick

is this something your trademarked? Smile thinking of using it as a acidrock shoegazer swirly wirly band name...   maybe...

phasey is one of those beloved technical terms like the troubleshooting "technical tap" or the quantitative "cunt hair".  much more political correct than 0.5 dB

This thread may help you understand where I'm coming  from:http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/110032/245 7/?SQ=4a2c6d0200d55d3f8be710958c214b69

the quantitative "cunt hair"...................... Hey that would be a "Red Cunt Hair" or an RCH which IS the smallest increment of measurement known to man!
Razz
Rick
If you think you're finished at the dance, you are quitting too soon.    William Wittman

you need the fat to protect the stomach lining against alcohol, and the alcohol to cut through the fat in the bloodstream so, it's beer & doughnuts for me.  Maxim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 16 queries.