R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just finished building new vocal booth/dead room  (Read 2936 times)

Benmrx

just finished building new vocal booth/dead room
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:32:38 AM »

love to know what you guys think of the place.  We just finished building a new vocal booth/dead room in our tracking room.  We used to have a 3ft. x 20ft. halfpipe along the far wall, opposite of the drum area.  We basically built this thing out of all recycled material from the halfpipe and other materials left over from the initial construction.  It's actually a pretty decent "ISO" booth, built kind of funky, but hey...."whatever works".  

Haven't had a chance to record drums in there yet, but did some vocals last night, and it was great.  

The place is a big group effort, and always on a shoe-string budget, but it's a fun place to record, and the sounds coming out of here aren't too shabby either.

more pics at
www.myspace.com/mysteriousredx

Frob

Re: just finished building new vocal booth/dead room
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 05:02:26 PM »

what are the demesions? it should sound fine so long as it is not too small.

Benmrx

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »

It's roughly 8ft. x 10ft.  there's also auralex foam behind the fabric on the walls

Frob

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:56:44 AM »

i noticed that. how tall is the room? at 8x10 your really borderlining being too small. but then agien some times a small room sound good, only your ears will be able to tell in the end.

Benmrx

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 02:52:23 AM »

It's just a few inches under 8ft. tall.  I was hoping to have something pretty drastically different then our main tracking room which is pretty live sounding.  It's roughly 20ft. x 30ft. with 14ft. ceilings

danickstr

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »

cardboard tubing would add diffusion to help liven it up a bit if it is too dead, for certain apps.  just mount 5-8 foot tall lengths of 8-12" dia. cardboard on plywood square (or round) bases with glue and a few scraps of 2 x 4 to act as stops on the inside.  fill with insulation to help absorb bass if that is necessary.  diffusion helps aviod the "anechoic chamber" sound.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

onemorecasualty

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »

Nice Fabric, Does your aunt know her table cloth is gone!!
Just joshin ya.  Laughing Don't take it hard man.
Here's my two cents. For a more open sound you could use to remove some foam from behind the magic curtain.
Diffusion could also come in the form of hanging traps (rectangles) from the ceiling, and would also even out you absorption from the top too.
I have some studiotraps from the ceiling from chain tracks,it's great,  you can position them in just about any location.
You can adjust the room sound to the vocalist.
I dig it.

Greg Dixon

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:56:19 PM »

I like the base of that mic stand .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 16 queries.