R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's The Best, What's The Cheapest?  (Read 14796 times)

hargerst

Re: What's The Best, What's The Cheapest?
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2005, 12:42:35 PM »

acorec wrote on Thu, 29 December 2005 08:01

I talked to my four year old. He says that the most expensive is the best. All his friends say the same thing. Why, when we become adults, does this change in the opposite direction?

Because the advertising on the Saturday morning cartoons affects us less as we get older?
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Barry Hufker

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2005, 01:14:46 PM »

I'll refine Harvey's idea to: as we get older we look for the best value, whether expensive or not.  Kids don't know about value, only price.

Barry

josh

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2006, 12:37:35 PM »

acorec wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 14:00

The best gear would be the brilliant sounding grand piano that is played by a talanted pianist and recorded with world-class equipment like, say.............................any pro-studio I know of.

Sometimes these equipment arguments can be pretty rediculous if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't asking you.

Earth to acorec:  not all of the guys on Harvey's forum have immediate access to a concert hall with a Steinway D and a full-time piano tech on site.

I guess I'd better get back to making crappy records with my cheap gear and lack of talent.  I can't wait until I am qualified to have a conversation with a real pro!

Fibes

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2006, 02:01:37 PM »

You can use a 20 dollar japanese handsaw and some chisels to build a wonderful piece of furniture if you have the skills.

It may take more time and you can only use the saw in one direction but if you respect and flow with the tools and implement the proper procedures beauty is attainable.

Convincing oneself that more tools make for more quality ignores the source, the art and the artist. Without that a tool is merely an object in space.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Dave Martin

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2006, 07:53:29 AM »

Fibes wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 13:01

You can use a 20 dollar japanese handsaw and some chisels to build a wonderful piece of furniture if you have the skills.

ON the other hand, my radial arm saw doesn't cut a staight 90 degree angle - I think the base plate is bent. THAT makes it hard to do good work. The saw was inexpensive, though...  Smile

hargerst

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »

I guess the problem is that a lot of new recordists go to the Internet and ask "what's the best mic within this price range?" but they don't understand that mics are more like screwdrivers than hammers.  If you need a Phillips screwdriver, a slotted screwdriver ain't gonna work.  

There are all kinds of screw heads (singers) out there and one screwdriver (mic) may be a good screwdriver (mic) for the money, but if your needs are for a Phillips screwdriver, a slotted screwdriver ain't gonna work too well.

That's why "What's best?" is such a frustrating question for people who moderate these BBS's - often, there's just no good answer, and everybody gets frustrated.  And sometimes, new recordists will jump in and say "I've got this hex head screwdriver (mic) and it's great".  And they don't realize that hex head screwdrivers may not be best for everybody.

We live in wonderful times right now.  There are a lot of inexpensive Chinese screwdrivers (and mics) out there.  They may not last as long as a quality tool, but if you don't abuse them, they can drive most screws just fine.  If you're on a tight budget, you can get a pretty good variety of fairly decent tools for a very low cost.  And that's important to a lot of people.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Invisible Member

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2006, 11:17:26 AM »

Maybe I(we) should irregardless of our frustrations of hearing the same question over and over should just keep repeating ourselves in the same way as a parent I keep answering the same questions over and over and over. For 9 years my daughter still asks "are we there yet" to a place we've been to 2 times a week for nearly all 9 years. My answer has gotten shorter and longer even though the answer in the basic technical form is still the same.

My answer for everything is "buy the best you can afford to purchase" because that is the limiting factor for everything. Everyone knows that as someones gets their ears their tastes will change anyhow so why enter into a long debate that wouldn't satisfy immediate need for a hammer.

Peace,
Dennis
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.