R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's all about the feel ...  (Read 6774 times)

rosshogarth

It's all about the feel ...
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »

Something Michael said in his reply about mixing John Mayer
I totally agree with and that is why we agree often about a lot of things
Music and mixing and making gear choices and what we do still has to fall back on
Does it feel good or right or
again in my world
do the voices in my head tell me to move my booty and close my eyes and feel as Michael said
warm and fuzzy
No amount of arguing about which compressor is better than another can do that
It's all about the feel
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Michael Brauer

Re: It's all about the feel ...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »

hence my not being interested in discussions regarding comparisons of two pieces of gear for one application. yah, maybe one is good over the other for THAT song, duh! so what's new? is it worth 5 pages of defending that one experience globally for the next 20 years? only if you are clueless.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

I think most of us real engineers use the compressors that we have for everything.  I have 4 hardware compressors and I do use them.  But I don't have your range of selection and I tend to use plugins for mixing most of the time.  I like them, but at the same time, I know that they are NOT as great sounding as a special LA2a.  Out here in the real world, we use what we have.  I have quite a bit of stuff, but not like you guys.

Feel is everything when mixing music.  Nothing else really matters.

Steve

Michael Brauer

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »

yes, that's what i'm saying. and one particular La2a may very well sound better than a 100 others. I started with hardware but that has just about stopped now and I pretty much only purchase software plugins. but it's always been about what works for the song and different songs require different toys.

rosshogarth

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »

and this goes back to feel
where one compressors sound or character or release for example will slow a bass down and clog up the middle of the mix or slow it down per se
this then making the song feel draggy or lazy
on the other had using the same example
the right compression pumping correctly ( in know the Saint is listening and disagreeing)
with pump in time a actually create a pleasing feel, for me enhancing the mix

this is where understanding your plugins or gear helps attain results
where everything we do in the way of processing does something to the sound and the balance
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

bigbone

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »

I started with hardware but that has just about stopped now and I pretty much only purchase software plugins.

What's good these days ( software plugins) For drums mostly.

JN

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.  I looked at my post above, and I didn't mean to imply that you aren't real engineers.  Far from it.  Thanks for not jumping all over me!  I have a lot of Plugins and I'm very happy with them by and large.  But it would be foolish to think the plug sounds just like the hardware.  It doesn't.  I was just pointing out the fact that most of us aren't stuck with the dilemma of whether to use the Gates Sta=Level, or the Fairchild, or the Distressor.  We have what we have and we use it as best we can.  Feel is the best way to make choices when mixing.  I try not to think about what I'm doing.  I move along and make decisions fast.  If I don't like it, I change it.  When I don't hear anything that sounds wrong to me, I'm done. 

Michael, I like your comment about big moves.  Don't be too subtle.

Steve

Michael Brauer

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »

engineers made great recordings back when there were only a couple of choices. it's always come down to the pilot flying the thing. Today the choices are endless and engineers get lost in the simple rule that feel dictates the decision process, not the toy.

rosshogarth

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »

now Michael,
we all know that he with most toyzz wins :)
as far as feel and toyzzz
YOU WIN brother !!!!

studjo

• Real Full Name: jo eberhard
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »

aw guys this feel thing ... when it happens it's just magic but on some stuff I work I push myself again and again and don't get to the point where it clicks - the stuff has to get out of the door so I finish it...

what are you guys doing if it's not happening? any tips?

rosshogarth

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

aw guys this feel thing ... when it happens it's just magic but on some stuff I work I push myself again and again and don't get to the point where it clicks - the stuff has to get out of the door so I finish it...

what are you guys doing if it's not happening? any tips?

I understand
It's all about results too
and
delivering in a timely fashion
I own a white flag
sometimes I need to pull it out and wave it ....

Mo Facta

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:54 AM »

now Michael,
we all know that he with most toyzz wins :)
as far as feel and toyzzz
YOU WIN brother !!!!

Yes.  I've seen the sound towers. 

I threw up.

Cheers  :o
Quote from: Slipperman
That'll learn those arrogant LA *bleeps*.

http://shiftedaudio.co.za
http://gregbester.xp3.biz

rosshogarth

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 02:52:26 AM »

what you meant to say was, you turned and put your foot through the behringer compressor behind you and then turned around and smashed your adat ... :)

Mo Facta

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »

what you meant to say was, you turned and put your foot through the behringer compressor behind you and then turned around and smashed your adat ... :)

Ahem, yes.  That's exactly what I did.  My adat is still bruised.

Cheers :)
Quote from: Slipperman
That'll learn those arrogant LA *bleeps*.

http://shiftedaudio.co.za
http://gregbester.xp3.biz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.