R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr Brauer ... what say the voices in your head today ....  (Read 21518 times)

Michael Brauer

Re: Mr Brauer ... what say the voices in your head today ....
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »

Hi Michael,

i'm a huge fan of your work and your way to be in life and musical industry.

I work in a great studio in Portugal, but i do live mixing too with some artists, and for the last 3 years i use John Mayer's Continuum album to tune the P.A.! (so thanks for that beautifull and great job!)

I hope someday have the chance to meet you! Unfortunately not this year in France, but maybe next!

Anyway, i have some questions if you dont mind to answer,

Thanks a lot,

Joao Bessa
www.boomstudios.pt

Hi Joao,

1 - Although you use your 4 buses with compressors and Eqs, do you process the tracks individualy before with eq and compression with the onboard processing? (I.E. - Compress Snare Drum with SSL Channel compressor, and then compress again on the bus?)

Remember that there are no rules here. I’m offering Brauerize as a tool to use as it applies to the application. The set up is a starting point. With that in mind I process individual tracks if they need it. Generally I don’t need to add compression to guitars unless there are some unwanted transients but “generally” doesn’t really exist in my world.  The EQ’ing is done a lot on the individual tracks. I don't necessarily leave it to sub st buss compression but hay, if it sounds good I do.  More and more I’m leaning towards the UAD plugins for the eq. Of course, I have the SSL desk so I’ll mold it there first but some of the plugins have such a great vibe to them that I love going there. Every record I get is different and the requirements are different. The purpose of this approach is to create endless combinations that are only limited by your creativity.

2 - Do you make use of parallel compression from the beginning of your mix, or do you send your drums to your Bus B, and then, only if your are losing too much attack you send it to the master too? There are instruments that you compress just as an insert, without parallel processing?

Again, the process is up to an individuals taste and of course the application which dictates the approach towards the sound you are looking for. Sometimes I only send the drums to  B and the samples that support it to B and stereo buss to let through more transients or maybe just to the stereo to let all the transients through because the sample has already been processed, sometimes I don’t.  What’s important is that you try every combination and see which sounds the best. Eventually, you’ll know the sound of the different combinations in your head at which point it becomes instinctual.

3 - I read on your site your way of calibrating your outboard. When you talk about the EQs, and you say that you gain on 1dB at 100 Hz and do the same at 8KHz, do you mean that this is your starting point eq for that bus? 1 dB up at lows, and 1 dB up at Highs?

It can be a starting point but for me it doesn’t move from that calibration. I base everything around it.

4 - We finally refurbished our SSL 4000E console (the analog part... not the computer yet.) So its working flawlessly, but with no automation yet.
4.1 - Do you think its possible to do your brauerize stuff on that, since i just have 1 stereo master bus on this desk?

Actually you have two stereo busses front and back. To address my limitations of a 4k desk, I designed and patented with the help of Paul Wolff (API, Tonelux) and Nick Balsamo, a couple of units that turns the front and back stereo buss and a stereo aux into a 3 sub stereo unit. I called it the MHB850. I have one left sitting in storage. This won’t help you of course but you might be able to accomplish something close with the Dangerous Mixer. Otherwise, you can do a limited version by processing the back st. buss and bringing it up to two channels that feed the front buss. Assign whatever you want processed to the back stereo and tracks that you don’t want processed, to the front stereo,. Everything else about Brauerize you can apply on the 4k.

4.2- We have a protools rig, so we work on a hybrid setup. What do you think its the best approach for me to apply your bus technic , since i only can do automation and recalls on protools?

Some people have partial success by having all the sub-stereo busses and processing come up as outboard on a dangerous mixer. The options are not as endless on PT as they are on a desk due to the on going latency issue. There are many situations where a few layers down the path, I’ll have something processed also sending to unprocessed that creates a phase issue. So at this point, technology is still a limiting factor in how deep you can use the approach.

Joao Bessa

• Real Full Name: João Bessa
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »

Hey Michael,

thanks a lot for the answers. Although i agree that there's no rules, its really conforting to confirm some possible paths with the others experience. Specially when this guides comes from someone that you admire. 

I have another question that i forgot to ask you yesterday, again about your buss system.

So you have your tracks going to the multi-bus ABCD, and this busses are going to the Master (do you sometimes process this master?)

Then you can send your individual tracks also directly to the final Master, for paralel compressions.

What i'm missing here its your send and return processing. From what i understood you use sends as another way of paralel compression or diferent processing in diferent busses? Can you clarify me on this?

And for the last, do you recall mixes on a regular basis? How you deal with that?

After all it was not just one more question!

Once again its an honor to have you speaking here, helping the passionates on this long road.

Cheers,

João

Michael Brauer

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 12:20:24 AM »

I have another question that i forgot to ask you yesterday, again about your buss system.

Cheers,

João

So you have your tracks going to the multi-bus ABCD, and these busses are going to the Master (do you sometimes process this master?)

Yes, I have Rack 5(www.mbrauer.com/soundtowers2.asp) that is dedicated to mastering the final stereo. I have 4 different sounding stereo compressors and 3 EQ's to choose from.

Then you can send your individual tracks also directly to the final Master, for parallel compressions.

i don't understand what you are saying.

What i'm missing here its your send and return processing. From what i understood you use sends as another way of parallel compression or different processing in different busses? Can you clarify me on this?

I float the vocal to 4 or 5 different sounding compressors that all return on channels selected to the stereo buss. I blend those compressors together for the desired sound. The vocal does not go to any of the substereos...unless I decide to because I can and it sounds good.

And for the last, do you recall mixes on a regular basis? How you deal with that?

Ugh, my least favorite topic. On average I recall about 10% of the music I mix per year so generally I recall about 28 to 32 songs.It's not a bad average. I generally mix 12 to 14 songs per album and recall a couple at the end of the project, but there are records where no recalls are needed and then my luck...the next album the band is obsessive about the tiniest unimportant detail that they just "can't live without" and it becomes ridiculous.  But sometimes it's more because I'm mixing the album on my own and then recalling it with the bands comments. It's certainly not my preferred way of working but sometimes the band is simply not available and this is the only option as was the case when I mixed Viva La Vida. They decided the day before I began mixing they needed to go back in the studio to re-record three of the songs. By the time they finished the three songs, I had the album mixed and they were able to focus on what I had done. Then we went back and recalled each one. Often they would hear the mix and decide to change the arrangement so it was no longer a recall but more a case of additional mixing or sometimes it was more about remixing it in a different direction.

bigbone

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »

Hi Joao,

More and more I’m leaning towards the UAD plugins for the eq.

Can i ask you what are your favorite plugins for drums, UAD or other,

Thank you

JN

dB

• Real Full Name: Dadi Birgisson
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »

Hi mr. Brauer and thanks for the forum :)
I was trying to wrap my head around this quote from you in UA webzine mr. Brauer,
"A great trick using the UAD Fairchild plugin is to put one side of it across the left side of your mix and the right side into a UAD HP filter, taking everything out below 2k"

Does this relate to have the master bus as two mono channels and processing them individually with the Fairchild?
Even though that would be the case I´m not sure I fully understand how you employ this.
Is this something you would care to explain a bit further?
Feel free to shoot me down if this is too obvious :o

Thanks, dB.

josephm

• Real Full Name: Joseph Manurung
  • MIXMASTER
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 02:35:15 AM »

I was trying to wrap my head around this quote from you in UA webzine mr. Brauer,
"A great trick using the UAD Fairchild plugin is to put one side of it across the left side of your mix and the right side into a UAD HP filter, taking everything out below 2k"

Does this relate to have the master bus as two mono channels and processing them individually with the Fairchild?
Even though that would be the case I´m not sure I fully understand how you employ this.

Thanks, dB.
Exactly what I want to ask...is it you pascal?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »

Michael, your hair smells terrific.  What kind of shampoo are you using?   :o

-  J.J.

PS - Congrats on the new hardware!

bigbone

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »

Thank's again Michael for your time.

JN

Michael Brauer

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »

Thanks, dB.

maybe this will answer your question, try reading it again followed by :)

Michael Brauer

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »

Can i ask you what are your favorite plugins for drums, UAD or other,

Thank you

JN

no. every record is different.

Michael Brauer

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

Michael, your hair smells terrific.  What kind of shampoo are you using?   :o

-  J.J.

PS - Congrats on the new hardware!

Hi JJ, a guy has to keep some secrets!

dB

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »

maybe this will answer your question, try reading it again followed by :)

Hi mr. Brauer.
I read my own post again and I´m still as baffled as before ???
What I did is create two mono aux channel(they will be the master), send the individual tracks to them.
On the left aux channel I insert a mono Fairchild. On the Right I insert Cambridge Eq with hipass filter on 2k and then a mono Fairchild after that.

If this is somewhere in the ballpark then I had to pan the left and the right closer to each other on the two mono aux master channels, instead of having left and right hard panned.

This definitely sounds interesting but whether I´m anywhere near your suggestion is still a mystery to me :)

p.s. I tried the secret shampoo and my mixes seem wider!  ;)

Thanks, dB.

Michael Brauer

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »

Hi mr. Brauer.
I read my own post again and I´m still as baffled as before ???
What I did is create two mono aux channel(they will be the master), send the individual tracks to them.
On the left aux channel I insert a mono Fairchild. On the Right I insert Cambridge Eq with hipass filter on 2k and then a mono Fairchild after that.

If this is somewhere in the ballpark then I had to pan the left and the right closer to each other on the two mono aux master channels, instead of having left and right hard panned.

This definitely sounds interesting but whether I´m anywhere near your suggestion is still a mystery to me :)

p.s. I tried the secret shampoo and my mixes seem wider!  ;)

Thanks, dB.

I think the problem is that I neglected to mention you first need to shave half your right head, the frequency response due to the smooth reflections will offset the lack of bottom on the right channel. when using the shampoo remember to also use conditioner. that's just a general rule of thumb.

dB

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »

I think the problem is that I neglected to mention you first need to shave half your right head, the frequency response due to the smooth reflections will offset the lack of bottom on the right channel. when using the shampoo remember to also use conditioner. that's just a general rule of thumb.

That smells fresh 8)

Best, dB

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »

Well that's just great..... (sitting here with left side shaved).
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.