R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 827 won't power up  (Read 2108 times)

jime

Studer 827 won't power up
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:30:48 AM »

Last night the machine powered up and was idle for about thirty seconds and then switched off.  When I tried to restart it several times it seemed to trip the on/off switch with a small flash like a circuit breaker.

I checked the fuses and they all have continuity.  Some fuses are the type you can't see through.

I smelled a melted solder type smell coming from the back of the power supply.  I unplugged the machine and here I am.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Jime

bobkatz

Re: Studer 827 won't power up
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 02:17:40 PM »

jime wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 11:30

Last night the machine powered up and was idle for about thirty seconds and then switched off.  When I tried to restart it several times it seemed to trip the on/off switch with a small flash like a circuit breaker.

I checked the fuses and they all have continuity.  Some fuses are the type you can't see through.

I smelled a melted solder type smell coming from the back of the power supply.  I unplugged the machine and here I am.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Sounds like you're in over your head. I suggest you get a good technician. Among the approaches I'd do is debug the power supply using a variac and voltmeter/oscilloscope. Good luck,

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:15:11 PM »

I've had a shorted winding in one of the (from memory I think there were three?) transformers in the PSU 'tray' at the bottom of the machine. The only way to test this is to get in and remove secondary loads, then disconnect primaries...

Not a job to talk anyone through unless they're a half-decent tech, in my opinion. I'd be looking for someone local.

If it is a transformer, it'll be fairly pricey, though not as much as s new head!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

chipmanv

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 01:25:03 AM »

I've been there as well.  The A827 that was "there" toasted while it wasn't powered on!  There is an active soft start pcb that precedes the mains power switch.  It is constantly under the mains voltage and ramps up the juice to all the power transformer primaries. While the machine was turned off, there was a nasty brown out, and smoke came out from under the machine.  I found one of the three power transformers had shorted and also the soft start pcb had had a complete melt down with blasted out traces.  It was an expensive repair.
Using a dedicated fast current trip mains breaker would be a good idea for these machines as they are prone to surges.      
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.