R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Studer A827 remote  (Read 19498 times)

John Klett

Re: Problems with Studer A827 remote
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24:52 AM »

re the batteries... you can tag another battery on to the board, remove the old one and install a new one while holding the memory up and not loose anything.  

Tadiran TL5902/T LITH-21-1

in the USA you can get em from Mouser...  Digikey...  pretty easy to find

http://www.mouser.com:80/catalog/catalogUSD/642/2124.pdf

I wouldn't bother bagging them - just don't wait twenty years between battery changes - an A827 needs three

also - lots of problems issue forth from the Frako caps.  Freako is what we call them.  These are aluminum electrolytic but they often fail to a short like a tantalum does.  The best thing you can do is pull all those Freakin caps off the stabilizer boards and power supply rails (at least) before they fail, short out a supply and burn a hole in a board...  this is unbelievably common and runs across almost all the Studer and Revox product I have worked on.  They finally stopped using them (almost) by the time they got to the Gold Edition A827.  When I see a Frako cap, and if I have any latitude at all, it's going to be removed and replaced with something else.

more on the cap front... even though you may be able align an older - pre-Gold Edition A827 and have it be "flat" over the audio band you'll get an audible benefit from recapping the audio as well as replacing the freako supply filter caps.  It's over a thousand caps on the audio boards but it's well worth it if you care how the machine sounds - you reduce some noise and distortion which is good but mainly you end up more in the middle of the various adjustment ranges as opposed to the far ends...  AND you'll pick up response at both ends of the response curve - it just sounds better.  The Gold Edition machines had better caps from the start and they are less old so I would still call it optional for those machines.  EVERY A800 and A80 needs to be recapped if it has not already been done.  The audio boards that you can easily remove from the front of an A800 hold only about HALF the caps you need to change so you are not done if all you did was the cards.

John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 16 queries.