R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft 2400 - Lyrec 532 24ch 2" - Help  (Read 5892 times)

andrekbelo

Soundcraft 2400 - Lyrec 532 24ch 2" - Help
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »

Hi From Brazil!!! i'm looking for a Vintage Console to recording and Mainly Summing My Daw mixes.
I was looking for PM2K , Toft AtB16 and today i found a Soundcraft 2400 with a Lyrec 532 (maybe MKii, i didn't see yet) for a really good price!\
is that a good Deal? it will sound better comparing with ATB16 and Pm2K?
thanks for all your words on R/E/P forum, it helps a lot!

Andre Sangiacomo

Fletcher

Re: Soundcraft 2400 - Lyrec 532 24ch 2" - Help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »

Soundcraft 2400's were better than most of their stuff... but if memory serves me right - it required a ground buss modification to really sound "right".  The PM-2000 is really a favorite console of mine... sort of like a poor man's API with a bit better headroom... the bitch is that its a fully discrete desk which means you need to be able to work on it or have a tech on speed dial.

There are a bunch of modifications that can be done to PM-2000's that make them seriously awesome... like there is a company in Australia called JLM [I'm like 95% sure that's there name] that came up with some very interesting options for the equalizers and its probably wise to add a dedicated 2 mix buss.

If you don't have a tech that can get into these kinds of things for you... and are looking more for a "pull it out of the box - wire it up and go" kind of solution then the ATB will probably be your best option.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

andrekbelo

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:39:52 AM »

something about the Lyrec 532 recorder?

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »

I've only seen / used one once... the machine is a bit of a nightmare.  Again - a really good tech would be necessary to keep the thing operating properly.  While it was probably like 20 years since I used one [the memory could be a bit fuzzy] I think I remember that it didn't handle tape all that well and on the overall didn't sound all that wonderful [in comparison to things like Ampex, MCI & Studer machines that were also being made at the same time].

Like I said - its been a while since I heard / used one.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »

Re: the Lyrec 24 track deck.

I have no direct experience with them, although there was one in use around town here for a while.

I believe it was often called the "liar deck"...for a reason.

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world.

YZ

• R/E/P Forums
  • Yves Zimelman
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:10:30 AM »

Buying both items from MOSH studios?

They used to maintain their gear well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 24 queries.