R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello (and Firewire)  (Read 1150 times)

Matt Colton

Hello (and Firewire)
« on: November 24, 2005, 06:59:01 AM »

Hello everyone

First post on the board, although I have been "lurking" for a while!

Nice to meet you all properly; there is a wealth of useful info on here, and its great that on the whole you can all have a laugh and not fall out.

Anyway, we are just about to install a Mac into our machine room, which is about 10 to 12 metres from where the back of the 002 breakout box is going to be.

What is the deal with firewire over this distance? Is the distance going to create any problems I guess is what I am asking, and if there are any other firewire specific issues that I might need to be aware of. Any particularly good brands that people use?

I know nothing about firewire (hell I know nothing about Macs either!) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

bblackwood

Re: Hello (and Firewire)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 07:20:12 AM »

Like USB, the max distance is supposedly about 15ft, but I've extended USb to 3x that length with cables alone and have had no issue, so you may try simply buying FW extension cables to begin with. If you really want to be safe, pick up one or two of these...

And welcome!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 09:31:37 AM »

And here's a company I've used successfully.

They can extend anything...usb, firewire, ps2, vga, you-name-it. They also sell the Gefen (ex-tend-it) stuff that Brad pointed out.  Another of their good brands is Minicom...they have a great, inexpensive usb extender.  Also good are Extendex and Adderlink.  All carried here:

http://www.kvmgalore.com/

And they ship outside the US.

Welcome!

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:19:25 AM »

I've always found you can extend computer cables quite a bit beyond their spec. I suspect they are speced far below their capability so that some corporation doesn't sue because they built long cables into a wall and it didn't work. That said, I've run into a lot of intermittent brand new firewire cables. I recommend using Granite Digital for anything that's very important.

Matt Colton

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 11:13:18 AM »

Thanks guys, much appreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 20 queries.