R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you find yourself using fewer 2-bus fx with a DAW?  (Read 805 times)

PaulyD

Do you find yourself using fewer 2-bus fx with a DAW?
« on: November 23, 2005, 01:53:46 AM »

When I first took an interest in recording, it seemed bus insert fx at mixdown like master reverb/final eq/final compression were a given. I also remember drooling over things like parametric eq's, but they were just so expensive. They were always near the bottom of the to-purchase list because there was never enough compression and reverb to go around!

Fast forward to the 21st century...

Nowadays, with the power of personal computers, DSP cards, and the quality of plug-ins, it's almost trivial to have all the quality eq, quality compression, and classy sounding reverb you want/need at mixdown. With the ability to shape the tone and depth of every track to the nth degree, I sometimes find myself not wanting to use any 2-bus fx. I find sometimes they just aren't improving anything or, in some cases, they actually make the mix sound worse. Y'know, they're like obtrusive or clouding things up.

Do any of you full time pros ever find this to be the case?

Paul

Tidewater

Re: Do you find yourself using fewer 2-bus fx with a DAW?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 02:16:16 AM »

Yes, if you wants something at one stage, you don't have to pre-think it, you just open another one when it's time.

It's a dream.. it's not quite the same, but that can be good too.

I love pultecs, but I used to run out of matched ones pretty quickly. (read: after using one, or the other) Now if I want something on the mix, I don't have to track with it elsewhere, and it cuts down on the electric bills, and down time.

My mixes need less at the end, because the processing happens where it needs to be, moreso.

Among many other things.. Smile

M

Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.