R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Interfaces  (Read 4435 times)

MikeM

Question on Interfaces
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »

I'm just about to upgrade several pieces in my home studio setup.

Current setup is:

Apogee Mini-Me
Logic 9
Cascade Fathead II Ribbon Mic
KEL HM-1 Mic
MacBook Pro i5
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
Sony 7506 Headphones
Yamaha Motif Es6

I play acoustic and electric guitar, keys and sing. I only record 1 track at a time, though I do sometimes run my acoustic's pickup and a mic into the apogee at the same time onto 2 tracks.

I'm finding it a pain to unplug and replug mics/instruments all the time during a session, so I'm replacing the Apogee.

I also plan on getting a "real" mic and have settled on the Blue Blueberry for both vocals and acoustic guitar. I've decided to also purchase the Blue Robbie as my pre.

My question is on the interface: I have limited funds so I'm looking at the MOTU 896 MKIII or Presonus Firebox. The question is whether on either of these you can entirely bypass the preamp circuitry .. or .. are you always going thru it like on my Mini-Me.  :-[

Thanks in advance.

Mike

davesanridge

Re: Question on Interfaces
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:21 AM »

What about on of the new mbox mini's? They have HD level AD and have a zero latency analog monitoring thru. Might be what you need.

Fletcher

Re: Question on Interfaces
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »

I'm just about to upgrade several pieces in my home studio setup.
My question is on the interface: I have limited funds so I'm looking at the MOTU 896 MKIII or Presonus Firebox. The question is whether on either of these you can entirely bypass the preamp circuitry .. or .. are you always going thru it like on my Mini-Me.

You're always going to have to go through something... like on the "Mini-Me" you're going through the mic amp... but its not functioning as a mic amp, its functioning as a line amp [because you're going into the Mini-Me at line level and not mic level].

No matter what interface you get the input will have to go through some kind of amplifier.  It could be a line amp that is acting as a buffer amp or it could be a mic amp that is acting as a buffer amp [like it does in the "Mini-Me"].

What I would suggest you focus on is the clarity and detail / sound [or "lack of sound"] that front end amplifier provides.  In my experience I can say with some authority that the front end amplifier in the "Mini-Me" is very clean and clear imparting almost no personality of its own on the audio... which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective [from my perspective that's a good thing... but as always, YMMV].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.