R/E/P > j.hall

guitar mics

<< < (11/11)

Marnay:
Hello,.
I have good result with the Fostex M88RP and M11RP ribbon microphone, I also use very often the Royer 121 and Coles 4038 with a U87 at one meter behind

Dunkerque:
I've been quite happy with AKG C214 w/ D190E or Advanced Audio RE20-clone.

oneflightup:
All good suggestions. To the OP: is your 421 a MkII? Some say the mk1's are better.... They're a pretty awesome mic in my opinion. 57's are great too. How about: RE20 or AKG D19C?

Nick

One Flight Up Recording Studios

Jesse Allain:
The Shure dynamics always will find favor on guitar amp reproduction. I did a metal band recording recently where I had an SM57 on the front grille of a 4x12 Marshall cab pointed off axis of the center of the speaker. I also had a Rode NT5 39" back from the cab (aimed at the center logo) and on the back of the closed back cab I listened while the guitarist played and found a nice spot where I aimed a polarity reversed AKG D112 to add some low frequencies to the sound.

The D112 printed much lower in output (as to be expected) but added some thump to the overall guitar sound.

duskb:

--- Quote from: oneflightup on October 07, 2015, 07:04:51 AM ---All good suggestions. To the OP: is your 421 a MkII? Some say the mk1's are better.... They're a pretty awesome mic in my opinion. 57's are great too. How about: RE20 or AKG D19C?

Nick

One Flight Up Recording Studios

--- End quote ---

I'd agree with this. The 421-II got changed in more ways than one and do not sound the same under a microscope. Sennheiser re-engineered the new mic to a price point and none of the old parts are interchangeable with the new ones. Even the clips are different. Still, on guitar cab by themselves they lack body for me. This is why a 57 does such a good job filling in the remaining 421 hole.

I second the Coles, (I could never get excited about the Royer 121 though alot of guys get great tones with it), but they come at a real price. For cheapo dynamic mics the D19 and the RE20 are available, obtainable, and affordable. I have played with the Cathedral Pipes FET mic and it's a good LDC alternative to the Neumann/AKG line. For the cost no object user though it's a 67 to me (a 47 is even better if you're willing to put it in harms way).

RE: Speakers, I never liked the GT75's. Too brittle and harsh but the Greenbacks I stole from my AC30 reissue work like butter on alot of things.

My $.02.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version