R/E/P > Bruno Putzeys (Designer) - Dave Hecht (Master Tech)

5532/5534 Rants & Raves

<< < (8/13) > >>

zmix:
I just want to add some more gasoline to this fire by suggesting that 'discrete' opamps are heralded as much as monolithic opamps are reviled simply because most 'discrete' opamps are application specific devices. and thus are implemented in a very controlled manner.

Bruno pointed to a few issues he has with the 5534 (sensitivity to supply impedance etc..). I contend that armed with his observations he could design a circuit which incorporates the 5534 and performs very well indeed.

Rivendell61:
zmix wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 11:34

Bruno pointed to a few issues he has with the 5534 (sensitivity to supply impedance etc..). I contend that armed with his observations he could design a circuit which incorporates the 5534 and performs very well indeed.

Re the 5532: John Siau of Benchmark responded (2004) to some comments about replacing them in the DAC1 with 'better' opamps and he talks about the need to design for and use the 5532 appropriately:

The NE5532 is power hungry, it has high input bias currents, and high offset voltage, but it can drive high-level low impedance circuits with ease. The 5532 should not be used with low signal levels, and it should only be used in low gain circuits. Also, the offset voltage must be managed with appropriate design techniques. I believe the NE5532 has aquired a bad reputation because it has often been missapplied. The DAC1 is carefully designed specifically for the NE5532 op amp. It may surprise you that the NE5532 was selected for transparency and not on the basis of cost.

John Siau
Director of Engineering
Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.
www.benchmarkmedia.com

Mark

maxdimario:

Quote:
I understand you are in the business of selling new, improved, IC opamps, but it's not as bad as all that.

they suck big time..

thanks to Jim W. for actually ADDING something positive instead of defending mediocrity and convenience.

THD is only one part of the equasion, just like horsepower is only one part of the equasion for a car.

it's better to have a less powerful motor on an agile car than a monster engine in a boat anchor on wheels.

maxdimario:
Quote:
Mytek was originally using the OP275 like Appogee, but now is using the LT1358 and the LM6172

HA!

my fave 3000 V/S opamp!

...a bandwidth which goes into the stratosphere..

..even though I can only hear up to 16 KHz

I've been using it for years...

I never liked the op275

going to check out an LT1358 next time I need to.

zmix:
maxdimario wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 14:10

thanks to Jim W. for actually ADDING something positive instead of defending mediocrity and convenience.

Max,
Seriously, cool it with the straw man arguments!

It should be clear to anyone reading this thread that using a 5534 properly requires quite a deep knowledge of your intended application.
The Benchmark DAC is a perfect example of working intelligently withing known parameters. And excellent carpentry.

"It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools."

-CZ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version