R/E/P > Whatever Works

Linn Drum

<< < (11/11)

zmix:
strawberrius wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 20:07
i still think it was prince that did the coolest most innovative stuff with it. mostly printing it to tape thru boss gtr pedals like on "the beautiful ones" or "when doves cry".
zmix - please tell us a little more about how he printed these sounds?

Alright, Straw B... I'll fess up.

Like Hendrix and his Strat, Prince found his voice in one particular machine, the Linn LM-1. It was his most recognizable sound throughout the 1980s. He had several LM-1s, I saw at least 5. They had modifications, such as a Cymbal sample accessed by a mini toggle on the front. There were also trigger inputs on the units he took on tour.

We only used 4 tracks to record his Linn.

Due to some early tape transport issue damaging some tapes, the Claps were always on track one. Kick was on two, Snare on three, and 4 was always the Linn Mix output, usually through a string of stompboxes. These were always printed as is. No 'dry' signal was ever recorded. On songs like 'Hot Thing' (Sign of the times) the 'bass' is actually a Linn LM-1 tom through a Boss Octaver and Overdrive pedal. There were tuning issues, so "Forever in my life" , which used the same sound, added the Boss Vibrato pedal to obscure them.

By the time 'Lovesexy' was born, a Dynacord ADD-One drum module was added for kick and snare samples.

These sounds were triggered from the direct audio outputs of the Linn.

We rented an LM-2 (Linndrum) from Total Music Systems for one weekend between "Batman" and "Grafitti Bridge" because the LM-1s were all on the road and the one in the studio had developed a buzz.

We tracked just three songs with it. If you listen closely you can hear the Linndrum Kick on several cuts, especially "Elephants and Flowers". I was never given proper credit on those (accurate credits always a problem on Prince records). But I've got signed work orders, MF!

-CZ

Jeff Goodman:
OK, Here's what I've been told by a musician friend that grew up in Minn. and worked a considerable amount with Prince up until a few years ago.

Prince still uses the original Linn 1. His have all been modded to have individual trigger outputs so that any drum machine/sampler/sound can be triggered. He feels that that the first Linns somehow have a certain funky groove to them that was "corrected" by Roger in subsequent models as an improvement. Prince didn't like the improved...I guess the only way to term it would be 'feel'. He wasn't able to get the other drum machines to groove the way he wants them to (or is used to). There was also a sync mod done, but I am not clear about what was done, or to what effect (gen smpte? chase smpte?, midi?). I'll ask when I speak to my friend again probably in the next few days and post back whatever info I get, if anyone is interested, that is.

Jeff

compasspnt:
Is that why the music is as good as ever?

rjd2:
chance, let me know if you do have one. ive only seen pictures, i never knew someone who had one, but they look rectangular. not totally unlike any of the other rhythm machines of the era, ala korg/maestro/etc.

i would love to have one, as a very classic record was made with one, and i loved the drum sound on it. maybe...you.....sell???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version