R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording shakers, hand claps, tambourine. SCD or LDC or dynamic mics?  (Read 23459 times)

Barish

Re: Recording shakers, hand claps, tambourine. SCD or LDC or dynamic mics?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 08:28:41 AM »

Don't take it personal. It's just that you both are talking about two different leagues using the same vocabulary, that's all.

B.
M Ozturk

rankus

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 01:14:39 PM »

Barish wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 05:28

Don't take it personal. It's just that you both are talking about two different leagues using the same vocabulary, that's all.

B.

I agree.  The street level bands I work with are a lot more likely to have talent than the ones that have made it to the top through marketing hype, good looks, and auto tune, .... Gottcha! Shocked  Laughing  (Zing)

I am slightly serious though...  I am going to be getting my little indie label up and running by christmas, and you would be surprised by the talent level of the unsigned bands that  have asked me to help....(Believe me I would not be doing this if I didn't have great bands asking me to... this is their idea)

Being in Vancouver helps I suppose... (great talent pool)

Not taking anything personal mate... all in good fun!
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Barish

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 02:30:06 PM »

Good luck to ya.

B.
M Ozturk

RMoore

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2005, 05:26:09 AM »

wwittman wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 09:00

Some people use more than one type of mic pre on a record?
Why?

For me it depends on the role of the percussion, to some degree... that determines whether I go with the vocal mic (that I just move over for the occasion) or a 4038 (that's probably up already as a room mic)... but as I am major into consistency, if I use the ribbon, let's say, on shaker, I will also use it if there's also a tambourine or claps and so on.
Again, no picking and choosing.

this leaves more time for reading menus and deciding what to do about dinner.

Lol
Take note - this is one of the best producing tips I've seen in a long while!

A ribbon will give a smoother sound thats great for high end rich perc sounds, I've been doing that more and more now that I'm being forced by the wicked witch of the West's dastardly spells to work mainly ITB, have used RCA DX77 and Beyer M160 & was happy with that,

Have also used toob LDC lots in this application,

I was 'producing' some sessions a few months ago where the engineer used SDC & that sounded just great on 'rine, small perc etc...
especially after he spent the afternoon auditioning 50 different preamps, just kidding...

But never underestimate the power of TAMBO to supply the funk

IMHO with these kind of instruments it sounds far better to keep some distance from the mic and watch the levels...
it sounds pretty suckay recording 'rine right up on the mic

Note that VU meters can fool the unwary by not registering the peaks from tambourine - some people get into some frustrating situations by recording tambo levels to tape too hot unknowingly, wondering why it sounds like distorted puke chunks even though the VU meters aren't slammed
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Toby M

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 04:44:19 AM »

Can only agree fully with the previous poster, tambourines have som nasty spikes!! Keep the level fairly low and add some meters of air between your mic and the tambourine. At least if you use a condenser.

It?s also fairly common to record shakers and other stuff from "from above/the side" so you don?t end up closer every other shake and the volume goes up and down and up...and i?m also very fond of the LF cut on the eq.. /Toby
www.cascatoma.com
Smiles can be heard !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 17 queries.