R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Problems with Stainless Steel Mesh Diffuser?  (Read 2746 times)

Any Problems with Stainless Steel Mesh Diffuser?
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:12:54 PM »

Hello All,

I am considering treating an entire tracking room with multiple layers of stainless steel mesh with varying open areas...this would mean the ceiling, and all walls and doors...with viscoelastic dampeners/spacers between each layer...  Also each mesh will be coated with viscoelastic material...like QuietCoat.  All of the stainless will be welded together and plugged into common ground to eliminate the "antenna" effect.  ...this should provide a nice diffusing of the high frequencies...but what about the lows?  Any idea how something like this would affect the room?  

Anything obviously wrong with this?  I am thinking of either a permanent install, or something that can be made in modular panels and removed if desired.  

This type of multi-layer mesh is being used in the Neumann KMS105 as a "pop filter" for a live mic, if you will...

Any suggestions?

I would still be using additional room treatments like traps, diffusers, and reflectors.  The purpose of the room will be general tracking.  Do you foresee any limitations?  Any math I can reference?  Since each layer of mesh will be different, I will have a number of choices of wire thickness (I was thinking 0.047", 0.028", and 0.063"), number of grids per inch (I was thinking 8x8 grids per inch), and hence open area (this corresponds to 38%, 52%, and 25%, respectively).  

I priced this out a year ago, but the price of stainless has nearly doubled (increased worldwide demand)!  Also anyone know of an inexpensive supplier?  

MW

Michael Kabell

Re: Any Problems with Stainless Steel Mesh Diffuser?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:06:19 PM »

There shouldn't be any particular problems with doing this, except...it won't really do anything for you. Stainless mesh helps with pops becaus the velocities in a pop are much higher than your usual acoustical signal, and a non-linear resistance kicks in and slows the pop down. In your application the mesh will be pretty much transparent (like it is in a mic for normal acoustical signals) so it wont do anything (except maybe hold up stuff behind it. It can be made into an elsctrostatic shield, so long as it's grounded, though - one thing going for you.

dcollins

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:28:04 AM »

Michael Kabell wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 14:06

It can be made into an electrostatic shield, so long as it's grounded, though - one thing going for you.

I have an Aluminum-foil hat.

It keeps me grounded, although not electrically.

A WGBC, I guess.......

DC

JamSync

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:09:42 AM »

My World wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 00:12

Any suggestions?

MW

Turn it on its side and use it to drain pasta?

Why not use copper instead and make a Faraday cage?

thedoc

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:54:24 AM »

DC said "I have an Aluminum-foil hat."

Keeps the space aliens away, yes?
Doc

dcollins

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 03:29:28 PM »

thedoc wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 08:54

DC said "I have an Aluminum-foil hat."

Keeps the space aliens away, yes?

So far, so good.

DC

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 02:26:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  

I think I'll start with some test panels first before I go full-guns on the room.  Thanks!  I originally came up with this idea after reading about how the original stealth technology was developed...

I also have some polypropylene honeycomb panels that have a promising sound reduction-to-weight ratio.  It also appears that these panels have good physical isolation properties.  Lots of testing to do.  

Sincerely,
MW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 18 queries.