R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Cubase/Nuendo vs Protools  (Read 70013 times)

Pier Giacalone

Re: Cubase/Nuendo vs Protools
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2005, 01:45:49 AM »

blueboy wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 23:50

Pier Giacalone wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 09:00

Nuendo is different from Cubase.  For starters, Cubase does not have the same crossfade editor that Nuendo has.  Nuendo's crossfade editor is not as good as Sonic Solutions or Sequoia, but it's a lot better than PT.

Cubase SX has wide variety of fade in/out curves to choose from in the crossfade dialog whereas Nuendo has an Advanced Crossfade Editor that allows you to "fine tune" your fades using sliders and a click and drag display. They both have equal gain and power options, are calculated in real-time, and also let you save  your crossfades as presets. Whether the "fine tune" capability is important to you is obviously dependent on your particular needs, but Steinberg seems to feel that this level of control has more value for post production.

The idea that a more advanced crossfade editor is a specific need for post is silly to me.  Anyone who does difficult editing, which can occur equally in any form of working with sound could benefit from a more detailed interface.  I learned to do real editing on Sonic Solutions, everything after that has been a major compromise, including Nuendo's capabilities.  I would very much like Steinberg to further develop the "advanced" editor to actually be on par with Sonic and Sequioa.  At the current price point for Nuendo, it's not an unreasonable request.

Pinnacle was selling Nuendo specifically to the post community so all of sudden everything that was different about Nuendo from Cubase was "for post".  Yamaha seems to be moving back toward music which I for one am very relieved about.  Under Pinnacle's rein, the Nuendo moderators on their forum actually said things like 'You made a mistake if you bought Nuendo for music' and other such nonsense.    Glad to have those days behind us.

"It's the unknown unknowns"

Tidewater

« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2005, 04:18:30 AM »

I skipped from the topic starter, to reply, instantly.

I have an opinion! I prefer the sound of Cubase, and Nuendo, to all other software. It sounds better to me.

Although, Studio Vision was the cat's meow, for editing... but the Macs were 10 times as expensive then, and a 16Mb upgrade cost as much as 4 Yugos.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

bobkatz

« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2005, 08:45:07 AM »

henchman wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 23:57

You still cannot get sample accurate synch with PT's.
It has been discussed on the DUC in  a thread about using PT's a a dubbing machine.

If Pro Tools is locked digitally to the correct incoming sample rate, it absolutely must be sample accurate sync!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

timrob

« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2005, 10:06:54 AM »

henchman wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 22:57

timrob wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 06:43

With the proper set up, you can get get sample accurate sync in Pro Tools. My point was that no option was even available for Nuendo when I built the system. There was not even the ability to sync to SMPTE. Things have changed for the for the better now.

You still cannot get sample accurate synch with PT's.
It has been discussed on the DUC in  a thread about using PT's a a dubbing machine.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&a mp;a  mp;Number=878315&Forum=All_Forums&Words=%22sample%20  accurate%22&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=866076&am p;am  p;Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&am p;am  p;newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&am p;am p;bodyprev=#Post878315

Look, For several years, I regularly synced PT to Sony 3348. I could transfer any sound from one to the other, play side by side with the original, flip polarity on one and they cancel completely. No Phasing whatsoever. This was using a Rosendahl Word Clock and machines reference to House Video sync. If it needs to be more sample accurate than that, please explain why.
Tim Roberts
Waterknot Music
Nashville

---------------------------
Ours is not to understand.
Ours is just to record the band.
-Unknown

timrob

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2005, 10:12:58 AM »

BTW, the article you reference is talking about punch in not being sample accurate. Not Sync. Punch in has always be as accurate as I needed it to be. Let's see any of those other machines pull in recorded material before the punch. Can't be done on any other DAW or hardware Recorder that I am aware of.
Tim Roberts
Waterknot Music
Nashville

-Unknown

ruberbullet

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2005, 03:02:22 PM »

OK Here is something for you people near Nashville, I guess this session is somewhat comparable to compasspnt's:

"Hey everyone. This is the one you don't want to miss!! Come celebrate the success of Club Cubase/Nuendo Nashville AND the blessed Union of SAE and Neve with us!!

Here are a few highlights. I will add more as it is finalized.

* Tracking live band in SSL room, 32 tracks 192K in Nuendo!!!
* Producer on session Tommy Simms (E-Street Band, #1 Songwriter - Change Your World, Eric Clapton, Award Winning Producer)!
* Engineer Grammy and Dove award winning engineer Producer/Engineer Bryan Lenox!
* Super awesome band... could well be some VERY cool suprises here.... Smile
* See an AMD Dual, Dual Core Opteron 275 system being put to good use!!
* See the new RME-AES32 card that does 16 i/o via AES at up to 192K!!
* See the Lynx Aurora 16's!
* See some new gear from NEVE (and a few more goodies from Vintage King!)
* Greg Ondo from Steinberg/Yamaha!

Here are the things that are pending (working on scheduling issues):

* A surround sound presentation by one of the best in the business
* A short seminar on Song Writing and Technology by another Music Great!
* Food!

This will be a free event. You don't have to be a Steinberg user to attend. Just show up. Smile It will be held at SAE and will start at 7:00 on the dot. You can get directions on the club website (www.clubcubasenashville.com). This is on Thursday November 17th!! Be sure to put it on your calender!!!

See you all there!!! Smile

compasspnt

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2005, 05:46:39 PM »

Oh gosh, I'm busy that day, and won't get to go!

rankus

« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2005, 06:38:32 PM »

Glad to see some of my old cronies from Nuendo Forums over here.

Welcome to Ted Perlman and Steve Lamm ! Long time no see.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Midi_Glider

« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2005, 08:39:37 AM »

timrob wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 15:12

BTW,  Let's see any of those other machines pull in recorded material before the punch. Can't be done on any other DAW or hardware Recorder that I am aware of.

Well, Nuendo (and Cubase) do that quite nicely, actually.

Best,
midi.

henchman

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2005, 11:37:59 AM »

Midi_Glider wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 05:39

BTW,  Let's see any of those other machines pull in recorded material before the punch. Can't be done on any other DAW or hardware Recorder that I am aware of.

Best,
midi.

So does the Fairlight.
And it's design is over a decade old.

timrob

« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2005, 12:12:28 PM »

Midi_Glider wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 07:39

Best,
midi.

I'll have to look into that. Must be new feature in Nuendo 3. Has not always had that feature.
Tim Roberts
Waterknot Music
Nashville

-Unknown

Midi_Glider

« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »

indeed. it was introduced with N3.

Best,
midi.

ruberbullet

« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2005, 02:55:25 PM »

In Fact...I always have my Nuendo set to prerecord of 30 sec on all record enabled tracks...that means that I am ALWAYS in record if the talent sholud come up with something le extrordinar

blairl

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2005, 03:48:59 PM »

ruberbullet wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 12:55

In Fact...I always have my Nuendo set to prerecord of 30 sec on all record enabled tracks...that means that I am ALWAYS in record if the talent sholud come up with something le extrordinar

Tidewater

« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2005, 04:47:11 AM »

I don't like gear that's smarter than me, or performances that I don't dictate schedules of. I'd much rather make them keep trying to, 'do that again, now.'..

Thumbs down.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up