R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you store your backup drives?  (Read 2201 times)

Keyplayer

How do you store your backup drives?
« on: February 15, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

I have boxes and boxes of CDs and DVDs with file backups. Now that drives are so inexpensive, I've finally gotten to the point to where I'm just replacing the drives. It's a pain to keep opening the pc to replace internal drives. But the External drives aren't that friendly for pro level storage (ie: Seagate Drives are all "pretty" and come on stands.).

Hot Swappable drives like the Glyph 308 Bays are the best solution, but beyond my current budget. But even if I had one, this question would still be relevent. How & Were do you store the full drives for archiving purposes? Should I keep the box they came in? I can stack them easier that way and they'd have a little protection. But that will take up a LOT of space!

I can just put the DVDs on shelves "library style." But I'm looking for a symilar system for the drives. So what do you guys do?

Ronny

Re: How do you store your backup drives?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:50 PM »

Fostex D2424. It uses FDMS3 audio format. No crashes, no defragging, no system more reliable than dedicated to audio only systems. Transfer speed between drive in bay one and drive in bay two is 3500 mbps or about a gig every 5 minutes. Drives are WD1200JB 8 meg cache. Last couple that I bought cost me $59, that's 50 cents a gig for archiving space. Added bonus, jog/shuttle editing, resolution editing, envelope editing, complete copy and paste across all partitions. Sync tone transfer and track alignment for transfer to and from PC's or Mac's that don't support the track count you are wanting to transfer from the recorder. No song file size limits. Retail back when I bought one was $4600, now you can get one for $1199. PC and Mac recording is not in the same ballpark, IMHO. I store my archive drives in caddies, they pop in and out of the machine in 20 seconds.

Over the past couple of years I have transferred most of my analog tapes going back to 1973, DAT's from early 90's to 97, ADAT tapes from 94 to 96, and cd-r's from 1997 to present day. Cataloged in chronological order. Yesterday an old friend and bassist that was in a band I recorded in 1983 came by. We were talking about one of the live recordings that they did on New Years Eve, he said he'd like to hear how he sounded back than. In 30 seconds he was listening to his solo'd bass tracks from Dec 31, 1983. I couldn't mount the original reel, much less find it in that short of time. I really like being able to go back to a date in time and pull up every track that I had recorded in a matter of a couple of button pushes.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Teddy G.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »

I use standard EIDE drives, whatever size I need, on "mobile drive racks"(Drawers), storing everything as simple data files. While I have all of my drives on drawers, you could just install one for your backup HD's. Cost about 20 bucks - includes one "rack", that installs in the PC case in about 20 minutes and one "drawer"(Which can be purchased seperately for about 15 bucks). Takes only a minute to pop drives in/out of their drawers and store "just the HD", however you like(Maybe in it's original static-free bag in a reasonably controlled temp/humid environment(A closet shelf/drawer in a bedroom? Or maybe rent space at a commercial data storage center?).

A "good-looking" brand is "Kingman"(? I think? Sorry, I'm in the wrong room to look - mostly metal as opposed to mostly plastic.). The one's at CompUSA(Under their own name) are fine. You can get them for SATA drives, too.

How long will they last? No idea. What will you play them on 15 years from now? No idea(Can say that about any format, but you'll "re-archive" as you must.). For now though, convenience and cost-effectiveness hard to beat...

A "tiny tip"? I've even thought of it myself -- but don't look at me! A friend who designed/built/maintained the machines for the world's largest maker of gold connectors, says that the gold connectors(Ends) on the average, thumbnail-size memory(Like used in digital cameras) cannot last long, at all(He says half a dozen in/outs can do them in...)! Just not enough gold. So, while their size increases weekly, their durability, likely, does not. Not an archiving option, at least for now. Matter of fact, as most of us have digital cameras, these days, his advice is to put one in the camera/memory device and leave it there, loading/offloading from the device itself.

TG

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »

Having the gold plating wear off because it's too thin, doesn't typically affect sonics. Copper has better conductivity than gold. Gold should not be a considered best when it comes to improving a signal, you ain't going to take copper circuits and transfer them through gold connections and get a sonic improvement. However gold has the best anti-corrosive properties of all the metals used for cables and connectors, so typically the only real benefit is the reduction of electrolyis between a cable and device, which both may have different alloys that are condusive to electolysis when they are mated.

ITR, the gold connector needs to have the connectors remain in the electro-plating bin longer or actually redipped several times to get a thicker plating. The amount of gold used in a gold dipped connector is usually very thin once the plating adheres to the base metal and gold plate doesn't take to the wear and tear that a remote application may exhibit. So for permanent connections, gold connectors will give you longer life before electolysis would occur to the point that the signal degrades, but for applications that involve plugging cables in and out a lot, the gold can indeed wear off and you are back to square one with the base metal.

Bottom line gold does not sonically improve the signal that is generated through copper circuits and should mainly be considered as having a permanent connection remain electrolysis free, sonics are not an issue until electrolysis does occure and I'm using cables that I made back in the late 60's with standard connectors that are still working fine.    
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------