R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Euphonic Analog Transfer Console (ATC-1)  (Read 54199 times)

ammitsboel

Re: Euphonic Analog Transfer Console (ATC-1)
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2005, 04:50:37 AM »

jlarcombe wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 16:34

ammitsboel wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 13:42

I think if you are not tired, hungry, stoned, depressed or having hangovers then you should be able to catch these differences with no troubles.

The difference between relays and switches?

Are you joking?

Of course I'm joking.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

antiguru

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2005, 03:16:59 PM »

Hi,
  new to the forum, and this looks like a fun project for me, any chance of getting the model numbers on those parts?  

Maybe a scan of a wiring diagram?

thanks!

-Quentin Muhlert
Quentin Muhlert
Sound designer / Engineer

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 10:38:16 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 16:10

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 08:48

Brad, what's that thing under your speaker?

Umm, they're called 'stands'.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Very Happy  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Im sorry...but somebody just hit something deep inside of me I cant help it tears are roling down my face  Laughing

Kind regards

Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

ammitsboel

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 10:50:11 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 15:10

Razz

...care to share some more information than that??
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

bblackwood

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 11:07:24 AM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 09:50

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 15:10

Razz

...care to share some more information than that??

Sure, they can be found here...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

eric broyhill

Shallcos
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2005, 02:52:24 AM »

a question for brad or anyone for that matter,  would you be kind enough to tell me the model/part # of those shallco switches you used for the insert bypass/on you used in a mastering console I found in this forum you made yourself, also the best wire to use, were to buy this stuff.  anything to help me out.  

Im poor, can't afford to buy a real console so I must resort to the home made recipe  E

bblackwood

Re: Shallcos
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2005, 08:11:32 AM »

eric broyhill wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 01:52

a question for brad or anyone for that matter,  would you be kind enough to tell me the model/part # of those shallco switches you used for the insert bypass/on you used in a mastering console I found in this forum you made yourself, also the best wire to use, were to buy this stuff.  anything to help me out.  

Im poor, can't afford to buy a real console so I must resort to the home made recipe  E

Hi Eric, the switches can be ordered direct from Shallco by going here then clicking on 'Precision Rotary Switch Products'. I used Series D switches in my console.

As for wire, per DC's recommendation I went with teflon insulated wire - it's easier to work with as it's virtually impervious to the heat from a soldering iron. Wire gauge isn't very important here - I used 20 AWG which is overkill - so don't sweat it...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mastermind

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2005, 02:57:47 AM »

Ok.... so here's stupid question #347....

So, for your insert switches I see you're using 4 deck switches, and I'm assuming there's one pole per deck (tell me if I'm wrong).

In this setup, I'm thinking each insert switch switches between the insert before (out) or the return of it's own loop (in).

Ok fine.

But since you're just switching the returns of each loop, the sends remain active regardless. So, the DAC (or analog machine) that feeds the chain on the i/p is effectively feeding all 6 pieces of gear in the chain (if all inserts were in bypass - less as you switch gear into the chain).

In any case, would this be a problem ??

Or am I over thinking this ?

t

trevor sadler

bblackwood

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2005, 08:18:24 AM »

Each insert point is switching the 'input' of the insert on and off - when the insert is switched out, the gear is not in the chain at all. When set to the 'on' position, the signal is sent out to the piece then returned and fed to the next device - if it is turned 'off', that insert basically doesn't exist to the chain...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mastermind

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2005, 01:01:13 PM »

I understand, but - if the switch is only switching the input (or return) of the loop, the output (or send) of the loop stays connected, so if all inserts were in "out", your source o/p is getting multed 6 times into 6 pieces of gear (although since the switches are set to "out", the output of each piece is disconnected.

To competely remove the piece of equipment, you'd have to switch at both the send and return of the loop.

I'm wondering if by not switching at both the send and return, and just switching at the return, if this presents loading issues to the source feeding the chain?

Obviously, if one can "get away" with not having to switch the send to the gear, then that simplifies switching. If we want to switch both the send and return, then we need 8 poles on the switch (as opposed to just 4 for doing the return only).

I've multed balanced signals in "non-critical" applications before and not even batted an eye... I just want to know if this would be a problem in this more mission critical mastering application...

t

trevor sadler

bblackwood

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2005, 02:46:02 PM »

No, you're missing what I intended to say, as I said it in a rather backwards way upon re-reading it.

The actual send is what is switched in and out - IOW, if I switch my STC-8M out of the chain, the STC-8 is no longer seeing any input signal at all. So when I switch things out of the chain, they are not present as a load at all...

And you do remember that this whole console is single-ended, right?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mastermind

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2005, 03:11:56 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 13:46

And you do remember that this whole console is single-ended, right?

Sorry... I must have missed that part... but that makes sense...

I'll try to pay better attention in class next time....

t

trevor sadler

Viitalahde

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2005, 03:24:59 PM »

I'm about to design a new console some time next year, it would probably have inserts like this. Maybe even the insert system I've been thinking of - total control of a gear's place in chain.

I'm also thinking of adding metering there, probably VU only. The signal path would probably stay all passive.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

TotalSonic

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2005, 04:00:45 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 20:24

I'm about to design a new console some time next year, it would probably have inserts like this. Maybe even the insert system I've been thinking of - total control of a gear's place in chain.

Now that would be way cool!!  I'd love to see the schematic for that if you do indeed build one as that type of control interests me as well.  Sounds mighty expensive for the parts though!  

Quote:

I'm also thinking of adding metering there, probably VU only. The signal path would probably stay all passive.

Sounds nice.  I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job based on your diy's that you've posted here before.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Viitalahde

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2005, 03:09:28 AM »

TotalSonic

I'd love to see the schematic for that

Well, the basic idea is very simple actually. You have a row of rotary switches, let's say four of them. Thus you have four inserts. The output of switch one goes to input of switch two and so on.

Each rotary switch position (on every insert) means a specific piece of equipment on the rack. 1=EQ, 2=Compressor, 3=Masterbuss Autotune etc. Very simple to do in unbalanced chain with a, say, six-position 4-deck switch. two decks for send, two for return.

Then you just route your signal by turning the knobs. 2, 1, 3 - 4, 2, 6.. the only real problem is that basically, you can set the units in feedback if you choose the same compressor on inserts one and two, for example.  Sad

This part is still unsolved. A total answer to this would be to do the thing with relays + digital logic, but it gets too complicated for the purpose. For myself, I might just do it passively like described and add a "mute" button that cuts all the outputs (with a relay) while sequencing the gear. I press that while I turn the knobs. When you get that down to your spine, you'll be OK.  Cool You don't have to do that all the time anyway.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.