R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain Stage Question  (Read 1242 times)

Ryan Silva

Gain Stage Question
« on: October 13, 2005, 06:49:54 PM »

I just got a Pair of Event ASP6's and they are much louder than my previous set, and I was wondering about the input attenuation. It goes from Max, to -5db, and then to -10db, my question is this, am I introducing more noise by staying under 'Unity' on my Monitor mixer, or by turning down the monitors.
I know in live sound these days I’m seeing fewer and fewer people keeping the amps all the way up. I don't pretend to understand the difference between Modern Power Amps, and ones lets say made in the 80's, but I was wondering if the change in technology applies to reference amplifiers.

Ignorantly Yours

Tonedrone

David Kulka

Re: Gain Stage Question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:04:56 AM »

Gain of power amps hasn't really changed over the years.  The best thing is to adjust the level control on a powered monitor or power amp so that with your monitor control (volume control) all the way up, you have "a little more" level than you would ever want.  Not the most scientific approach, but it works well.

Too much gain does result in increased noise.  If by the above yardstick you have too much level, and can't turn it down enough at the Events, then pads are probably the way to go.  Maybe 6-10 db?
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

Brian Roth

Re: Gain Stage Question
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 02:28:23 AM »

I'm with you, David...although I use "2:00" on the CR level pot to correspond to Pretty Damned Loud when ballparking the levels of the monitor amps.

Too often, I see the amps set WFO, so not only is that emphasizing any noise from the desk, it also reduces the usable range of the CR level pot from 8:00 to maybe 11:00.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.