R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: graphic eq's, anyone?  (Read 3000 times)

.nathan.kosakowski.

graphic eq's, anyone?
« on: October 09, 2005, 09:30:56 PM »

now, i have a general question (and this being my fav. forum...)

who out there is/has used graphic eqs?  been contemplating them (real and plugin api), but i honestly have avoided them since i was, oh, 13.  other than live use and cheap stereos...

so, i just wanted to ask the who/what/why of people who do.  guitars?  drums?  why would i not want to always reach for a parametric, is it about the hands-on visual feedback thing?  any problem having so many bands and the phase issuses in doing so? (yes i know eq IS phase issues, but having 31 vs. 5)

over and outie,
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

CCC

Re: graphic eq's, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 10:00:32 PM »

.nathan.kosakowski. wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 02:30

who out there is/has used graphic eqs?  been contemplating them (real and plugin api), but i honestly have avoided them since i was, oh, 13.  other than live use and cheap stereos...

API 560s are cool graphic eqs;

http://www.apiaudio.com/560.html

Revolution

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 11:07:11 PM »

I have been using the URS Graphic Plug inns latly on drums and probbly will be for a while yet. Very Happy

David Wilson
-------------

ThirstyDog

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:03:33 AM »

i use an api 560 on electric bass 90% of the times. it's also great on acoustic electronic kicks.

.nathan.kosakowski.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:29:29 PM »

but what is it about that that makes you reach for the graphic instead of an API parametric (hypothetically if you had on and it had a sufficient number of bands to do what you wanted to)?

Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

Fibes

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:54:08 AM »

.nathan.kosakowski. wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 21:29

but what is it about that that makes you reach for the graphic instead of an API parametric (hypothetically if you had on and it had a sufficient number of bands to do what you wanted to)?

It's got the right frequencies and it's grab and go.

The sound doesn't hurt either.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Brian Kehew

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 03:19:04 PM »

I always keep one around for the special effects EQ. Telephone, etc. However, EACH band does some kinda whacky phase-shift, so using it for a normal EQ tends to muddy almost as much as it clarifies.

Note: a PASSIVE one ("cut only"... White/Urei) can really sound good...
Relax and float downstream...

strawberrius

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 03:31:43 PM »

i remember seeing a picture of (my hero) todd rundgren's studio in woodstock in the 80's.
neotek console and a big ass rack of 32 graphic EQ's (yes, i said 32 - 2 rack spaces each!!!!!).
that is where he cut/mixed skylarking and many others.
me personally? i never use em.

jrf

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »

I use the API 560b on almost every mix on kick and 98% of the time on bass.  The URS A10 plug-in is astoundingly right on, and this is from somebody who for years thought all digital EQs sucked ass.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Podgorny

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 05:16:48 PM »

560b is my go to for snare.

I'd like to get one of those old Langevin jobbies with the red sliders.
That would just look cool in the rack.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 06:07:44 PM »

The problem with Langevin EQs, in case you were going to try and buy them on eBay, is that they are completely passive and have -20db of gain loss, so you have to follow then with an AM16 or another type of preamp.  They do sound great though.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jwhynot

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 04:54:32 AM »

I've mentioned before that one of my favorite consoles to mix on is one that was loaded completely with 560s.

Little graphics like that are very physical, intuitive, bull-by-the-horns.   You can easily work two eqs at once.

It's fun.
JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Rick Sutton

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:37:14 PM »

I know that they are not highly considered but I absolutely love my three Ashly dual 15 graphics on kick, snare and toms. I've  been using them for probably 15 years and they've turned many a poorly recorded drum into something usable when I'm mixing tracks from outside sources.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.