R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: about my wordclock setup...  (Read 2636 times)

.nathan.kosakowski.

about my wordclock setup...
« on: October 08, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »

ok first off, yes i have read the previous posts about almost this same situation, but one or two things were unclear to me so another short go-round would be appreciated...

first off, the setup in question is a hedd192 and a digi192 i/o (all a/d/a is done with these two units).  now i have read that using the hedd192 as the master clock over the digi's improved posters situations, so:

preface) i understand that PLLs are a tricky thing and using the internal clock of the device doing the a/d is usually best, BUT i have read posts on r/e/p about the hedd192 improving the digi192s imaging, etc, and i'd like to try since i use both units at the same time.

1) given the option in protools to lock to workclock or AES, i would assume wordclock was better (though i swear i got better results in AES, but it might of been a poor listening test)

2) proper hookup.  i plug the bnc/wordclock cable directly into the out of the hedd192, and then directly into the in of the digi192?  the digi192 self terminates (to my understandind) so do i need a terminator or not? (if so, it is not the 50ohm that networks use, but something else, right?  75ohm i thought, please let me know for future reference)

3) maybe my quick listening test wasnot too accurate, but it seemed to me that:

digi192 sounds better with internal vs. wordclock
digi192 sounds better with AES clock vs. wordclock
digi192 sounds better with AES clock vs. internal

i have been using the digi192's internal when using only those a/d's and locking to the hedd when using only it's 2 inputs.  for mixing, where most hardware inserts are on the digi192 , 2bus comps/eqs or other critical inserts are done through the hedd192's a/d/a.

so... please set me straight, my listening tests were fairly quick, but what _should_ be the best setup for this situation?  that and the other questions (AES lock vs. wordclock lock) have been buggin me.

thanks, and sorry for being verbose...
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

.nathan.kosakowski.

Re: about my wordclock setup...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »

i could have just rephrased all that to:

what is the proper way to connect wordclock properly.  where the terminators go if needed at all with a digi192.

and the pro/con of aes/wordclock for sync.
Nathan Kosakowski
Ellae Center Recording
www.ellaecenter.com

Gunnar Hellquist

Re: about my wordclock setup...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 07:05:50 AM »

Proper place for the termination is at the last input.

Put first cable on OUT of selected master clock.
Put T-connector on IN first slave and connect the cable there.
Next cable goes from there to chain of T-connectors, all on IN.
Last open end, place terminator there.

Stricly speaking, for short runs, just maybe, the termination does not make much difference. Problem is that there is no easy way to check.

What sounds best is up to your ears. Several reputable persons contend that for a decently well made interface (the ones you have mentioned are in that class I believe), the AD will always have less jitter when running on the internal clock. It might be however that your ears likes the sound better differently. In a good circuit the jitter would probably be rather small regardless, and just perhaps what there is actually sounds good. Remember the discussion about analog tape distortion. Or it might be something completely different happening. In any case, I would not expect any revolutions.  
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.