R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Monitors" v. "Speakers"  (Read 2015 times)

Trumpetman2

"Monitors" v. "Speakers"
« on: October 05, 2005, 03:41:49 PM »

Harvey:  I almost have to disagree w/the ubiquitous statement which holds that "home speakers" should not be used as studio monitors because they are not flat.  Case in point: I have a pair of Event 20/20s which I like a lot, however, I tried my Klipschorn KG4s just for yuks and I thought I could get a better mix since the lows, mids and highs were just so much better defined (even if hyped), plus, wouldn't it make sense to mix on speakers which are used commercially by most music lovers?  What am I missing here? Shocked  

hargerst

Re: "Monitors" v. "Speakers"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »

You're not missing anything.  Monitors are supposed to be fairly neutral, so that your mixes will translate well to other speakers. If the Klipsch mixes do that for you (i.e., those mixes also sound good on any other system), then your job is done.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

josh

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:55:20 AM »

most studio monitor speakers are no more "flat" than decent hi-fi speakers.

they are just more expensive and finished in different colors and materials.

even then, "flat" is not exactly what you probably want.

mostly the thing to watch out for with non-studio speakers are:

1.  thermal problems...  you run it too long, the woofer voice coil gets hot and saturates, making the sound change over time.

2.  lack of resolution or detal.  this is not about frequency response, but things like phase response, impulse response, and distortion, that are not easily measured and can't be fixed with EQ.

FWIW the performance of bona-fide "studio monitors" varies in these two categories nearly as much as the performance of regular hi-fi speakers.

There was a Sound on Sound article with an in-depth comparo of some popular studio monitors vs. hifi speakers for control room monitoring.  very good.  was online.  Anyone got a link?  I can't seem to find it.  It'd be a good read on this topic.

josh

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:37:43 AM »

Trumpetman2

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 12:48:21 PM »

WOW!  Great stuff!  Thanks guys. Very Happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.