R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sanken Mic Claims 100kHz  (Read 21218 times)

Johnny B

Re: New Sanken Mic Claims 100kHz
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »

From the slutz site:

"I know George Massenburg is a fan. I imagine it sounds great."

-Duardo

Thanks Durado, I suspected GM might like something like this.

I guess that means others will at least try them just on that basis alone.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

danickstr

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 10:37:07 AM »

Johnny B, do you own one yet?  They seem to really interest you, so I hope you get one eventually.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Johnny B

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 10:45:24 AM »

Thanks, I'll be checking them out for sure.

---Albert Einstein---

Johnny B

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 10:49:01 AM »

Johnny B wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 20:42

Sounds to me like this part of Sanken's claim is true:

"100kHz microphones do exist in the field of acoustic measurement but the Sanken CO-100k is the first such device for use in the professional recording world. Designed in conjunction with the NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories, this microphone is Sanken's solution for those exceptional engineers who want to record a complete sonic picture from 20Hz to 100kHz."

And if George Massenburg is a big fan, well then, what can I say, I'll just have to check this mic out for myself.

---Albert Einstein---

Ronny

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 12:53:31 PM »

Johnny B wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 10:49

Johnny B wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 20:42

Sounds to me like this part of Sanken's claim is true:

"100kHz microphones do exist in the field of acoustic measurement but the Sanken CO-100k is the first such device for use in the professional recording world. Designed in conjunction with the NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories, this microphone is Sanken's solution for those exceptional engineers who want to record a complete sonic picture from 20Hz to 100kHz."

And if George Massenburg is a big fan, well then, what can I say, I'll just have to check this mic out for myself.

What playback monitor system do you plan on using to hear what keeping 100k harmonics does to a song?
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Johnny B

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 03:00:42 PM »

A new set-up with 100kHz speakers of course... Smile
---Albert Einstein---

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 06:18:14 PM »

This one does a nice job too. + or - 0.5 dB flat from 3hz to 80,000 hz, and 100,000 - 1dB. Not really bad.

http://www.bksv.com/pdf/Bp1851.pdf

If I ever get a job to do for the local bat research group I prefer this one, and my dog too.

/E
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Johnny B

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 07:56:12 PM »

Emmm, you might try the new Sanken mic on some cymbals or accoustic instruments and see how she performs in the real world. Smile

---Albert Einstein---

Ronny

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 10:08:49 PM »

Johnny B wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 15:00

A new set-up with 100kHz speakers of course... Smile

When you find some speakers that will play back 100k, let me know.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Johnny B

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 10:47:22 PM »

Ronny,

There's a thread here for that already, you may want to check them out.

Here's what they say:

"ES103 Series: Main Specifications

Frequency Range : 15kHz to 100 kHz (internal mechanical network)
Average sound-pressure level : 90 dB/W/m
Resonant frequency : 103 kHz
Rated impedance : 8 ohms
Maximum power : 50 W (pink noise)
Directivity : Straight
---Albert Einstein---

Johnny B

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2005, 12:37:53 PM »

Here's what one of my trusted sources had to say about these new 100kHz Sanken mic:

"It would be one (or 2) I would want to own for my closet. No question, that its phase response and transient capabilities would be superior to most everything."
---Albert Einstein---

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2005, 12:49:37 PM »

"It would be one (or 2) I would want to own for my closet. No question, that its phase response and transient capabilities would be superior to most everything."

So far, I have not seen any phase response of this microphone. I am very curious to see it, as also the polar pattern. For now I say it is rather noisy, but maybe for close miking applications very well suited, although Sanken claims it should be very fine for classical music.

I also wonder how Sanken is testing this microphone, probably they use a B&K actuator.

I would like to invite the Scandinavian distributor of Sanken, to send me a pair, so I can test them.

/E
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2005, 12:57:58 PM »

Johnny B wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 17:37

Here's what one of my trusted sources had to say about these new 100kHz Sanken mic:

Interesting conclusion, since if I wanted to I could probably design a circuit with a 200 kHz bandwidth, and completely screwed up phase all the way up!

So has this source actually seen phase plots?

Johnny B

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2005, 01:30:27 AM »

Jon,

Emmm, he's probably seen far more of everything than you have, but maybe you already know everthing there is to know.

Look, if you are biased already against even investigating or testing Sanken's new 100kHz mic, that's ok with me. This bias would comport with your theory against higher sample rates. Perhaps you also buy into the wildly speculative theory which says all the chip maker's are engaged in a giant illegal conspiracy to sell higher sample rate chips, which, of course, is totally preposterous on its face.

If you believe that's true, I suggest you make a call to the US Department of Justice and have an investigation launched. Of course, the fact that there are no prosecutions of the chip makers or trials going on seems to lean in favor of this giant conspiracy theory having little or no merit.

---Albert Einstein---

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2005, 05:05:55 AM »

Johnny B wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 06:30

Jon,

Emmm, he's probably seen far more of everything than you have, but maybe you already know everthing there is to know.

No, I was simply pointing out that a wide bandwidth, whilst it might lead us to expect a linear phase response in lower bands, is no guarantee of it.

To know for certain, and thus make the statement you quoted with validity, one would have to see more technical information than is available on the Sanken site.

So therefore I asked if he'd seen that information.

Your response would indicate to me that he has seen more than we have as regards the Sanken mic, so can he share this information? EricS for one would love to know.

Look, if you are biased already against even investigating or testing Sanken's new 100kHz mic, that's ok with me. This bias would comport with your theory against higher sample rates.

Strange, I haven't told anyone not to try this microphone, I have also said that there is every chance it sounds fabulous, I have simply pointed out that people should not simply swallow the marketing line - even if it does pander to their egos by implying that they'd be "exceptional engineers" if they bought it, as to what the reasons are for that sound.

I've also suggested that the very wide and high bump in the response is not indicative of an attempt at faithfull reproduction, but rather intentional colouring. The truth is that the output of this mic will sound brighter than most, even if you shoved in a brick wall filter at 18kHz

In short, a microphone with 100kHz bandwidth may sound fabulous, but that isn't NECCESSARILY due to the bandwidth.

Perhaps you also buy into the wildly speculative theory which says all the chip maker's are engaged in a giant illegal conspiracy to sell higher sample rate chips, which, of course, is totally preposterous on its face.

This as opposed to the theories I've seen someone post as to how digital audio is all an evil conspiracy by music hating mathmeticians and engineers lying to people to make them buy into formats and hardware which will torture people's ears?

Chip companies will design and build what sells. There was a time when you could buy 20bit and 24bit ADCs fron the same manufacturer, and they both had the same linearity. So in effect the lower 4 bits were just a consumer placebo, which you paid for.

And as I understand it, there is nothing illegal about this. As long as they do not make any claims which are untrue, then they are perfectly within their rights to make a 1 GHz 64 bit converter, and sell it to any sucker who'll buy it.

And there's no conspiracy, just market forces. There are enough people convinced that higher sampling rates sound better, or who can be convinced by good marketing, that it's a worthwhile market for a manufacturer to tackle, whether the consumer benefits or not.

If you believe that's true, I suggest you make a call to the US Department of Justice and have an investigation launched. Of course, the fact that there are no prosecutions of the chip makers or trials going on seems to lean in favor of this giant conspiracy theory having little or no merit.

How's the class action going?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 19 queries.