R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sanken Mic Claims 100kHz  (Read 21217 times)

Johnny B

New Sanken Mic Claims 100kHz
« on: September 30, 2005, 05:36:40 AM »

This new 100k mic should be shown at AES.

I wonder if it really does all they are saying it does.

Check it out:  

http://mixonline.com/sanken-co100k-092705/
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

Jim Williams

Re: New Sanken Mic Claims 100kHz
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:39:16 PM »

Heads up to all you location Bat radar recordists!

Your train has arrived!
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Johnny B

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:55:07 PM »

I dunno, it might sound really good on cymbals...I think they claim it works great on accoustic instruments...

Like anything, you have to hear it yourself.

I'm kind of curious about the ADDA tech that seems like it might be included in this product. IIRC, they make some kind of claim in relation to that. Ahh yes, here it is:

"The absence of brick wall filters in the AD/DA conversion process eliminates certain noticeable artifacts and anomalies commonly generated within the standard audio bandwidth."

Hey, 100k mics...maybe they are here. If one manu does it and gets some success, they will all be doing it soon.

---Albert Einstein---

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »

I am all for a mic and system capturing ultrasonics, but I don't think it will be a bandwagon for people to jump on.  Schoeps and DPA both have mics going into the ultrasonic and I don't think those are selling in good numbers.

Further, one has to find a speaker willing to reproduce those frequencies while blending well into the sonic.

Barry

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 12:27:07 AM »

Emmm, judging by the trend of things, I'd say the speakers are also going in the extended frequency range direction as well. IIRC, there are already some speakers out there already doing this.

Earthworks also has some extended range mics IIRC, and this was in keeping with David Blackmer's argument or belief based on his many years of excellent design work and practical experience that what the human system perceives above 20kHz is extremely "important."

---Albert Einstein---

danickstr

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:40:12 AM »

has anyone taken a hearing test lately?  I remember the 15k tone as being very tiny and weak, and exceptionally bizarre to hear, not to mention difficult.  Not sure what could be up there that is so important.  mini-razor blades of sonics.  Phones are 300 to 3k, and while that is crappy spectrum, I have been able to lose myself in a good muzak tune every now and then.

But seriously, what could possibly be up there that is useful?  Studio monitors that are crisp in the highs still scare me every once and awhile.  So many systems can't make those tingy cymbal overtone sounds, and other squeaky tweeter noises, that when I do hear them, it is unfamiliar.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »

Emmm, so I guess you are calling the engineers at Sanken idiots.
---Albert Einstein---

RedBus

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 04:56:18 PM »

OK then, let's examine the press release and try to remove the marketing spin and extract the actual science in this microphone.

Designed by Sanken with NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories, the CO-100K takes advantage of the heightened frequency response of high-resolution digital audio formats.

I'd say this was the other way around. This microphone at last lets you use the top end of that heightened frequency response.

The absence of brick wall filters in the AD/DA conversion process eliminates certain noticeable artifacts and anomalies commonly generated within the standard audio bandwidth.

This microphone contains neither A/D nor D/A, so this is a generalization to imply that extended frequency ranges are good.

The CO-100K features very fast transients with a smooth response curve, resulting in great clarity and transparency.

Ah, here's some meat. Microphones don't have "transients" though. This one can capture fast transients, which as we know through application of Nyquist's Theorem, are exactly the same thing as extended frequency range. I'd say the fact that the response curve is smooth (note they don't say flat) is the true source of this perceived "great clarity and transparency"

With the ability to capture sounds in the ultra-high-frequency range, the microphone also produces high-quality results in the low and midrange of the audible frequency range..
I take this to be the actual reason the end user would find this microphone worthy of its price.
If the microphone can capture fast transients (because it has a large frequency range), then we may be able to infer that the microphone's self-transient response (i.e. its impulse response) is also small, or short in time. That just means that the microphone imposes less of its own sound on the recorded signal and thus transfers the real-life sound to its output with less distortion (or coloration or resolution, if you like those words).
Indeed a worthy goal, but one that doesn't say anything about the usefulness of the signal it gathers in the frequencies above the human range of hearing.

RedBus.

the_coercivity_index

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 09:08:30 PM »

if the midranges are schpakto then high extension is good. Munson curving the humane response is however subjective due to voice. humane communications are saturated in the fluxion epic of 200hz-3.5khz and phase criticality is very moist here, beyond this Sanken mic to resolve while existing in the field of time at 100khz. we need report of man-generated particle rarifactions/compressions. but this a good development for the voice of maybe Dylan where 50khz+ phlegm and rasping feelings appear coencentric within the core mission of high hertz resolving.

danickstr

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 10:15:35 PM »

Laughing

i would not call anyone an idiot unless they pissed me off.  Sanken scientists (engineers) are probably very fine chaps. I am just applying shoebox science and horsesense to this problem.  It does not preclude anything that they claim.  Its practicality to me is what I am questioning, nothing else.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Johnny B

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 12:14:50 AM »

Emmm. I wonder how much it costs? More importantly, I wonder how it performs on some real world applications?

It always come down to: "Duhhh, well how does it sound?"

"Gee, I dunno, what do you think?"

I suppose one could start with some spec sheets which we apparently don't have, but it always comes down to listening to it yourself.

---Albert Einstein---

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »

Where are you going to get speakers that will playback flat to 100k? It doesn't matter how high you capture, if you can't play it back.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------