R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't decide on Mic-Pre  (Read 4300 times)

2db

Can't decide on Mic-Pre
« on: September 08, 2005, 10:30:59 PM »

I know many of you have spent endless hours on researching mic pres.

After many sleepless nights I have narrowed down my two choices.
Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks

1.) Benchmark 400 $1395 this includes upgrade to continuously variable gain from +18 to +73 dB.

2.) Dav electronics BG-2 $1450

Anyone care to push me over the top?

Weird Geoff

Re: Can't decide on Mic-Pre
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 07:29:08 AM »

I don't know anything about those two amps..but I got a pair of audix 35102 modules(pre/eq/3band para/2 shelf/hi-low)in a rack..which I believe have continuous gain as well..and I'm loving them..they are BBC spec the same exact spec as the neve 31113 or whatever they are called..same transformers, etc..vintage king in Michigan had them and probably still does..done up in a rack with all the "amenities" and balanced out mod and the original St Ives Xfrmrs for around 2k a pair..they are great great thingies..

Kenny Holloway

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:04:48 AM »

Sorry, I don't know those pres either.  I'm going to piggy back on your thread and ask if anyone has experience with the Robbie by BLUE?

I've had very positive experience with their mics.  I don't seem to find any comments or third party reviews on the pre.
Kenny Holloway
Producer

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:29:40 PM »

I admit I am as guilty as anyone when this type of question is asked.  You asked us to choose between your two choices.  And then we offer something different.  For instance, I always recommend Gordon Instruments because I truly believe them to be the finest preamps made.

But in sticking closer to your question, I know from experience Benchmark makes excellent gear.  I don't know DAV.  But the point I really wanted to add is that continuosly variable gain is usually inferior in sound and quality to a stepped gain control.  This is, in part, because the resistors can be very high quality with tight tolerances.  You won't find this with a continuously variable control.

Barry

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:27:45 PM »

yea...there's a reason why most of the top solid state pres have click-stops on the gain knob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 17 queries.