R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Recording  (Read 3883 times)

David Spicer

Live Recording
« on: August 12, 2005, 03:40:15 PM »

Ok, I've got my G5 with my SATA RAID and I need to bring in 24 tracks for four of the bands that are playing at the concert. I got Cubase for free with the equipment, but it sucks..bad...(sorry for anyone that likes it, I don't) it's not vary reliable. I was looking at MOTU's Digital Performer, Avid's (Digidesign) ProTools (can you use third party hardware with Avid software?), and Apple's Logic Pro/Express (if the express will record up to 24 tracks).

Are there any other programs I should be looking at? I need something that I can trust to not crash on me. And do any of you have any opinions on which one would be better to get, or should I look at renting a 24 track hard drive recorder?

As you can see I don't usually do recordings...

Thanks

Dave

groovietuner

Re: Live Recording
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 08:27:07 AM »

What's the input hardware? May not matter, just wondering.

I love Logic Pro.

zetterstroem

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 07:16:44 AM »

nothing beats protools when it comes to reliable harddisk playback..... but it requires a digidesign interface.... or protools m-powered software for m-audio soundcards.....

logic is nice too..... and yes it runs 24 (or more) tracks easily....... and with almost any soundcard...
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

LDBF

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 07:38:56 PM »

which interface are you running?  Chances are that if you are using a free version of Cubase, its either old version 5 based, or if it is one of the newer "cubase LE" things, it's SX one based.  

If it is the older version 5, it's worth pointing out that SX3 is NOTHING like this- they pretty much rewrote the program giving it a much nicer, crisper user interface, and on top of that it's much more efficient with your system resources; and reliable.

If it is LE, then it's based on SX1, which uses a very similar interface to the later versions.

Protools LE is a greta package for its simplicity when recording things, but you do need either 002, oo2 rack or Mbox to run it on.  The new M-Powered works on either of the Audiophile cards or the Firewire series.

Logic I always got on with too.  Fantastic interface and the automation is the easiest I've used.
Nick R

LDBF Sound Services
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 16 queries.