R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: pro tools or not  (Read 43453 times)

flipper

pro tools or not
« on: July 14, 2005, 09:51:38 PM »

In breif i am very green when it comes to software

I am currently running a aw16g multitrack for most of the actual recording.. burn it off and transfer to  sonar PE being run on a pc laptop, the laptop is then linked to an old as the hills tascam 4 track as an interface.
Needlees to say the hissing and cracking that goes on from the laptop is herendous....
So on my mission to obtain an interface i got a little curios about the Mbox and pro tools....
And have since been contenplating the change over to the pro tools set up wondering if it would be of any benefit????

Lately i have found i am needing to loop alot of stuff and on sonar it's quite fucking hard and confuseing...

And the other thught is that PT seems to be supported everywhere
with books and seminars etec,etc,etc...
(industry standard as well)

Any information/advice would be good..
I don't really want to get cuaght up in software and computer techs i just want to improve my skills or there lack off at recording and write good solid shit whatever genre is needed...
and have it sound nice...

thanks for your time...
"Because i am willing to fail i am able to succeed"
-Tred Barta

http://www.studioproof.com.au/

CHANCE

Re: pro tools or not
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »

Download Mackie's Tracktion-2 demo version
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 03:18:27 PM »

If you are new to soft ware in general, and you are going to be doing mostly your own stuff, then it really doesn't matter which package you get.

Having said that, pro tools is everywhere and it's sorta cheap if you buy LE { with one of their small boxes.

I like Cubase SX and Samplitude for composing and editing. For some reason, when I'm mixing from the DA-88's,I like to mix into Wave Lab. I like the across the room metering and I know the editor really well. Sam would do as good a job.

I had bad experiences with the old protools products but that was a long time ago. I know guys using it and they love it.

Check it out for yourself and choose.

IMO, you just can't loose with SX.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Dan Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 10:37:39 AM »

How many simultaneous inputs will you need?  If you only need two, the Mbox is great.  I had one for a while and was pleased with it.  The mic pres are good (for the price).  Also, these days you get some goodies whenever you buy PT (Ableton Live, Reason, etc.).  If you need more inputs, the Digi 002 Rack is great for around $1,200.

Another (HUGE) point to consider is ease of learning.  Digidesign has tons of information for beginners, videos, free dvds, occasional free local seminars, monthly tips, etc.  I've had difficulty trying to find info on Nuendo and others.

Pro Tools has my vote.  It's universal, you can take your sessions to just about any other studio (if you ever have the need).  That's the good thing about working with the industry standard.

Check out the free version of Pro Tools and some of their tutorials online.

p.s. No, I don't work for Digidesign.  Hehe.  I've just been using PT for quite a while and have been really happy with them.

...dan...

Wheels Hurlbut

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:23:03 AM »

Goto the Tascam website and check out the US-122 USB Audio Interface. Its WAY better than the MBox and it comes with a free version of Cubase LE which is "limited" to 48 audio tracks and I think 128 Midi tracks. It also comes with Reason Adapted and Gigastudio LE. All this for about US $200. You can use the software on ANY audio interface unlike PT and its a way way better editor. I've been a professional recoding enginer for 18 years and I work on PT because I have to and Cubase/Nuendo because I want to. To me the US-122 deal is the beest I've seen for the beginner. And if you really like it you can easily upgrade to the next level of Cubase for $100 or so all the way to Nuendo for about $2,500 Canadian. Hopes this helps.

PT is the weakest audio editor I've ever worked on. People who disagree with me usually haven't worked on other DAW's.

Compatability isn't really an issue unless you have 7 friends who run Protools. I know PT is the industry standard but so is McDonalds.

wa Edwards

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 03:45:06 PM »

I love / hate protools.  
I love the way it works (except for the things they left out).

/rant on
I hate the incredible problems encountered when installing / upgrading, etc.    The average upgrade takes me 6 - 10 hours of debugging problems nobody in the industry seems to understand.  Even (especially??) Digidesign has no idea how to make it work, except mess with it for awhile.  There's ABSOLUTELY  no excuse for this, ever.

/rant off.

So I'll eventually be moving to something else.  

YMMV

W

mcsnare

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 01:04:44 PM »

Get an 002 and be done with it. It's the most universal platform. It's easy to learn, it sounds great and the plug-ins are not as expensive as TDM plugs. On the bad side, the converters are not so great and there are some very good sounding plugs for Native and TDM that are not available in LE. It's always a trade off, but there are work-arounds and I think the 002 rack is a very good value.
Dave McNair

NoWo

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »

Hi,

I

NoWo

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 03:55:44 PM »

...and after another week of training I would say:
Forget about PT.

Too old, too uncomfortable, too less possibilities and much more.
Be a cool cat and take Steinberg.

Best wishes

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »

NoWo wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 13:59

The biggest disadvantage of of ProTools LE or M-powered is the missing PDC (Plugin Delay Compensation).

I'm sorry, but who told you delay compensation is missing in LE and M-Powered?  Have you tested it for yourself?  What did you do to come to the assumption that there is no delay compensation in PTLE/MP?

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

NoWo

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 05:48:21 PM »

Hi Etch,

Well

1. Missing PDC (not for HD) is written all over the places.

2. There are some plugs (4?) delivered from Digidesign that are just there to do the job (plug delay compensation).

3. Digidesign describes it in the delivered "Help" what these plugs are for.

4. ...and yes, I

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

NoWo wrote on Tue, 14 February 2006 14:48

Hi Etch,

Well

1. Missing PDC (not for HD) is written all over the places.

2. There are some plugs (4?) delivered from Digidesign that are just there to do the job (plug delay compensation).

3. Digidesign describes it in the delivered "Help" what these plugs are for.

4. ...and yes, I
Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

blueboy

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 05:07:54 AM »

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=74807 9&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1 #748079

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB32& amp;Number=959482&Forum=f32&Words=delay%20compensati on&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=770012&Search= true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerva l=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypre v=#Post959482

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

NoWo

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 03:41:59 PM »

Thanks buddies,

it

blueboy

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »

Etch-A-Sketch wrote on Tue, 14 February 2006 16:12

Do this test... take a track... duplicated it.  Listen to them both together...  Just sounds louder doesn't it?  Now add a BF76 plugin to the duplicated track and BYPASS the plugin. Listen, still no phase shifting! Turn the plugin on and all you hear is the effects of the plugin, but there is no additional phase shifting.  Now do the same thing with an aux track and a bus send.  Same thing will happen, no phase shifting.  Why is that? ...Cuz PTLE and PTMP have ADC built into program.  You can't disable and enable it like you can with HD... but nevertheless its there working under the hood the whole time.

Try this again with one of the plugins that actually introduces latency (see list from 2nd link on previous post).

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shootout/audio_ratings.htm

Check out the Mixing section heading and look at the line that says "Plugin Delay Compensation".

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up