R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A BEST audio recording program?  (Read 13025 times)

ALLEN WRENCH

A BEST audio recording program?
« on: June 29, 2005, 08:54:17 AM »

I only use my workstation for song writing and the program I’ve been using is MOTU’s Digital Performer.

I was using the MOTU HD192, but the MOTU converters are so bad that it’s a fucking joke.  

Pretty quick I’m going to be picking up a Lynx AES/16 card and a set of the Mytek converters / Mytek 8x96 ADC and a DAC.

I’m thinking about switching audio recording programs.

Does anyone have an opinion on a BEST audio recording program?

I use an analog console and all my gear is outboard… so I’m basically looking to use the program in a REPRODUCER capacity.  I’m probably looking to do a little pitch correction for bad back up vocals and minimal editing.

Digital Performer would probably be fine for the editing… but I’d need to pick up a program for the pitch correction.

I also use Sampletank for song writing purposes ONLY… which I already have for DP.

Any big reasons to switch to another program or should I stay with DP?

I’ve already exported SDII files to use at friend’s ProTools studios… but should I just convert to PT?

The argument if favor of ProTools is that it’s the industry standard.

I’m also going to be recording at 24 / 96

- ALLEN  
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

Fibes

Re: A BEST audio recording program?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:39:57 AM »

ALLEN WRENCH wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 08:54

I was using the MOTU HD192, but the MOTU converters are so bad that it’s a fucking joke.  

- ALLEN  

The Motu HD192 is so close to the Digi 192 that you might want to look elsewhere. Personally the MOTU converters sound better than a joke to me. Sure, they ain't Lavry clean but they also are in my price range. The Lynx looks sharp, anyone using 'em yet?

DP works fine for me, PT works fine for others, personally i hate them all but...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Blumpy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 07:45:37 PM »

The problem isn't you converters.  I have a Motu 896 for portable recording and it sound worlds better than a 888|24 and just as good as a Digi 192..... but only in Logic.  In DP everything sounded horrible.  I don't know why, I'd guess to say it's the audio engine.
Blumpy is my profession alias.  GM and the other moderators know my real name.

STILL

• Real Full Name: Wade Biery
  • I record and stand near stars onstage
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 12:34:27 AM »

Logic sounds better to my ears as well....just .02.....

brett

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 06:20:34 PM »

I have the DP 4.5 w/HD192, and PT with an Apoggee Rosetta 800. The Rosetta is a much better unit than the HD192, but the HD192  is a much better unit than most converters out there in the prosumer range including the 2408's. I know first hand that many film composers use Logic 7 w/2408's. And they have complaint lists about Logic bugs that are very long. But not about the Motu interface. The HD192 is no joke unless you're a mastering engineer. I am not saying you can't hear the improvement of a mytek. When I got my appogee I was really amazed by the improvement, but my recordings with he HD192 were fine for a 16bit CD release. If you can't get a decent recording with the HD192, you might want to look at other devices in your chain or room issues screwing up your mix.(not critizising or saying you don't know what's up, just a thought here)

As far as song writing goes, DP is a very strong program, more so than PT and Logic... With all the midi plug-ins and the key remapper really that comes in handy. PT is easier to edit and mix in my opinion, but I think a DP 4.5 w/ a HD192 is an excellant choice for a song writer and producer. The grass isn't so green on the other side. The price tag is there for the greener grass too.  If you have the cash for mytek, go for it. You'll be happy with the results.

My recommendition is to keep everything the same, save your money and work on your mix conditions and signal path going in. Is your mixer noisy etc. What exactly is wrong with your recordings? Really, until you can get good recordings with what you have, buying new stuff will only slow down your production. Try recording into the HD192 directly without the console in the chain. I use a speck 5 for direct box. No console needed.

I use ProTools for all my plugs, for pitch correction I use Pitch Doctor by wave mechanics (sound toys). For Audio units you might look at Antares, but there are tons of companies making pitch tuners.

Bottom line, my recordings made with the HD192 in Dp4.0 held up well playing back in DP4.5 with newly recorded material made with the appogee and running it all under the Protools DAE. I have always monitored through the benchmarc DAC1 and I can hear a marked improvement with the appogee.

Never owned mytek, but hey, they're mytek... they're obviously pretty great. If you can afford it, get an external clock too. I am adding the big ben!  

groovietuner

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »

As far as software, I have only worked with Pro-Tools, Logic and Adobe Audition 1.5.  I love Logic for use with anything but a Pro-Tools system.  

As far as pitch correction, Antares Auto-Tune is the standard.  It does leave behind subtle but noticeable changes in the timbre of a track, but nothing that the casual listener would notice. The pitch correction is fantastic.

As far as the HD192: it is a good product (i have used it) that could be made great:

http://mixonline.com/products/review/audio_motu_hd_highdefin ition/

I haven't tried it, but if I were you I would attach the clock and see what that gets you before going all out with a new rig.

Anywho, I've been in that situation and it sucks. Best of luck!

mumbles

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:33:16 PM »

Hey,

Old post, I know, but DP 4.6 has pretty good pitch correction.

Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

presly

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:30:22 PM »

I've been working on different platforms as a freelancer. After establishing my own small studio I set it all around two programms - Sonar - for MIDI and quick audio productions; and Sequoia - for state-of-the-art pristine sound projects. For 3 years never regret this decision. Never liked (althogh often had to work on) PT.
Good luck!
wish I could use this power for peace...

carlos jaramillo

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 05:02:36 PM »

brett wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 00:20

I have the DP 4.5 w/HD192, and PT with an Apoggee Rosetta 800. The Rosetta is a much better unit than the HD192, but the HD192  is a much better unit than most converters out there in the prosumer range including the 2408's. I know first hand that many film composers use Logic 7 w/2408's. And they have complaint lists about Logic bugs that are very long. But not about the Motu interface. The HD192 is no joke unless you're a mastering engineer. I am not saying you can't hear the improvement of a mytek. When I got my appogee I was really amazed by the improvement, but my recordings with he HD192 were fine for a 16bit CD release. If you can't get a decent recording with the HD192, you might want to look at other devices in your chain or room issues screwing up your mix.(not critizising or saying you don't know what's up, just a thought here)

As far as song writing goes, DP is a very strong program, more so than PT and Logic... With all the midi plug-ins and the key remapper really that comes in handy. PT is easier to edit and mix in my opinion, but I think a DP 4.5 w/ a HD192 is an excellant choice for a song writer and producer. The grass isn't so green on the other side. The price tag is there for the greener grass too.  If you have the cash for mytek, go for it. You'll be happy with the results.

My recommendition is to keep everything the same, save your money and work on your mix conditions and signal path going in. Is your mixer noisy etc. What exactly is wrong with your recordings? Really, until you can get good recordings with what you have, buying new stuff will only slow down your production. Try recording into the HD192 directly without the console in the chain. I use a speck 5 for direct box. No console needed.

I use ProTools for all my plugs, for pitch correction I use Pitch Doctor by wave mechanics (sound toys). For Audio units you might look at Antares, but there are tons of companies making pitch tuners.

Bottom line, my recordings made with the HD192 in Dp4.0 held up well playing back in DP4.5 with newly recorded material made with the appogee and running it all under the Protools DAE. I have always monitored through the benchmarc DAC1 and I can hear a marked improvement with the appogee.

Never owned mytek, but hey, they're mytek... they're obviously pretty great. If you can afford it, get an external clock too. I am adding the big ben!  

carlos jaramillo

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »

There a few boxes outhere that sound pretty good, thou the best thing is to tape it first and then fly it over to dac s.  love Pro tools for it beeing almost anywhere, and apogees, otari daws too.

cerberus

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 11:16:36 AM »

Do you love microsoft for it being almost anywhere too?
I like Nuendo for the sound quality.
It's the front end for the Pyramix system, so that speaks for the UI, I think.

cerberus

zetterstroem

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »

protools is not only a standard..... it is also by far the easiest to use..... for audio....

the midi part is more a matter of taste..... although lots of people i know get by fine composing in PT some hate it.....

but for audio there's no competition...
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Cheecher

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »

We mainly do audio, and have been using LE for the past 5 years.
I am tracking to RADAR24, then transfering to PT LE for editing and mixing. I have am to the point now that I can not live without plug-in delay compensation.

I was considering going to Logic, or Nuendo. Are there any recomendations of the 2 that would be best for audio?

I love the ease of use in PT, but can not afford to go HD.

Also would Apogee be my best bet as far as getting in, and out of either of those programs ? (keeping price in consideration)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

zetterstroem

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 03:19:46 AM »

why can't you live without adc???

takes me about 1min to do manually.... if you add up all the time i use on it....

compare that to the time you would waste trying to learn something new....

but that's your choice....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Ashermusic

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 10:56:28 AM »

Well, there are a lot of good reasons to dump PT LE which is certainly not as powerful as PT HD, like 32 track limit, inefficient plug-in cpu usage, etc.

As a long time Logic user it pains me to write this. Nonetheless I must say that while IMHO Logic is a superior compositional tool Nuendo is probably better for mixing, certainly for surround.

For great A/D and D/A it is tough to beat Lavry Blues but if you need more than two and it is too pricey for more than that then the Lynx Auroras sound really good and are a great buy for the money.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 17 queries.