R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outboard Compressor Question  (Read 3575 times)

Tha Sun God

Outboard Compressor Question
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:09:17 PM »

i've got a Joe Meek VC3 outboard compressor+built in mic pre and my question is this....

I'm not really familiar with how people compress audio AFTER recordings or any drums with an external compressor, but would it be possible to apply some of my joe meek compression using this outboard compressor/mic pre i have to some drums on my computer? its really good i use it for recordings jus wanna no if i'd be able to beef up some stuff. i've got an EMU 1212m card as well, AND I'M USING FL STUDIO 4.
Peace

Tha Sun God

Re: Outboard Compressor Question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:39:58 PM »

OK.. i got it to work i think... from my emu card cards out (L), i connected one cable and thats going into "line in" socket on the back of my compressor. then i've got another cable going from the "out1" socket on the back of my compressor to the "IN R" on my EMU card... so i can moniter the sound, i have another cable going from the "OUT R" on my emu into my behringer ub 502 mixer.. and my mixer is connected to my reciever so i can moniter sounds out throug my speakers..

the sound is being compressed. but the problem is that when i activate the drum sound wihin FL.... i'm getting a verrry long ringing sound that is like.. infinite. it never stops.....

and there are three "IN slots" on the back of my compressor.." line in, insert, mix in" when the cable is plugged into the "insert" socket, nothing lights up on my compressor when i activate the drum sound... so its plugged into the "line in"

the only way the ringing will stop is if i turn the drum all the way down, makng it less audible.. but the ringing goes away.... how can i resolve this... thanks for yalls help

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »

Sounds like you may have a feedback loop of some kind.  I'm not familiar at  all with those pieces of gear, except the joe meek, so hopefully someone else can answer.  But it should work if you figure out the feedback prob.

Whatever, when you re-record the compressed signal, check for latancy/timing.  You will probably have to shift it back into phase.

Good luck!

Tha Sun God

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:24:01 PM »

thanks man. any1 know how i can get rid of this feedback loop?

Shot

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 05:47:38 AM »

As far as I know, the only solution for you is to switch from FL to Cubase SX3. They built special section for using external FX and handling latency between units. If you use routing on sound card it is possible to have external unit receiving and sending back processed signal but still there are problems of feedback loop and small latency (even though it's really low, it still induces phase problems in the mix!).
Consider SX3 as circa $600 investment that will allow you to use all you have in your studio. I think it's worth it! Try yellow pages in your area and you may get lucky and get it even cheaper.

George_

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 06:10:07 AM »

latency comp is the problem..

for your problem cubase se is sufficient.. they have also studentprices for SE, SL and SX (up to 40% less paying)..

did you tryied chaning something in your emu settings?
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

phist

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 08:25:02 AM »

switch monitoring of the line in off if possible. that should do the trick, right?

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »

phist wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 08:25

switch monitoring of the line in off if possible. that should do the trick, right?

Close but that's not going to stop the loop. He needs to cut the original signal out of the stereo buss and only mix and monitor the returned compressed signal. There will of course be some latency, but if the soundcard is good quality no more than running analog outboard to analog mixers. 3 or 4 milliseconds of latency will not typically be noticeably heard or cause phasing issues unless the original track is inserted. The reason he's feeding back is because the compressed signal is being inserted back into the original signal channel. Turning down the audio is a clear indication of this, the loop is still there, but the feedback hasn't had time to build at a low volume.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------