R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Programming DSP  (Read 2944 times)

alogan

Programming DSP
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:14:13 PM »

I'm going to try to make a DSP plug-in this summer, probably AU. I hear that there is some very, very complex math involved. Does anyone have any idea where I should start to look for information on programming techniques?

Joe Crawford

Re: Programming DSP
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

The Scientist and Engineer’s Guide to Digital Signal Processing by Steven W Smith is available for free download at www.DSPGuide.com.  It’s a digital copy of a 640 page (hardcover) book that gives about as much detail and as many programming examples as you can take in a single pass on DSP theory.  Wind your way through that for a while (it’s a bit more that a one night read) and you should come out with a pretty good back ground in DSP and enough information to know where to go next.

Then, if it’s a VST plug-in you are interested in writing, go check out Toby Bear’s web site at www.tobybear.de.  He’s written a template and examples for writing VST plugs to go with Borland’s Delphi rapid development environment and Steinberg’s VST SDK (Software Development Kit).  This will provide you with a few more evenings of reading.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV 26761

Sahib

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:32:34 PM »

There are hundreds and hundreds of books about DSP and it can get a bit difficult to choose. However, I am currently studying two books.

One is called DSP FIRST by James H McClellan, Ronald W Schafer and Mark A Yoder. I picked up this book as brand new from E-Bay. It is on the light mathematical side but still hard enough to short circuit my brain as I was and still am terrible at remembering formulas. This book came with a CD-ROM for programming examples, solutions etc.

Another one is called THE DSP HANDBOOK by Andrew Bateman and Ian Paterson-Stephens. This is a great book written by actual practicing professionals. It is all about practical applications, algorithms and design techniques. Great chapters on off-the-shelf development kits. You can also visit their web site www.DSPStore.com

Cemal

danlavry

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 05:51:29 PM »

There are 2 aspects to DSP programing.

One aspect is about  signal theory (such as filters convolutions, Fourier and much more).

The other aspect is the programing itself, which includes understanding the machine and it's capabilities, and writing code.

Of course there are some areas of "overlap".

It would be good if you stated what it is you are after.

One person may be very much into the signal theory and the math, extending into issues of truncation errors, limit cycles and more, yet know little about the programing and code writing.

Another person many be good at code writing, extending to good understanding of the machine (word length, speed, interrupts and more), while knowing little about how to figure out the algorithms and or coefficients...

Yes, my "breakdown" is a bit artificial, but it may be good to be clear on what aspect you want to learn (maybe both?)

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

George_

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:27:22 AM »

and then when you wrote that all, you have to optimize the code..

happy x-mas..

this was killing me.. latency compensation, optimisation.. Sad

and I only wrote something for VST.. a simple Convolutionreverb based on SIR..

so if you decide to work on this, you have to stop making music, and be a programmer:)
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.