R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what adhesive for diaphragm?  (Read 2153 times)

J.J. Blair

what adhesive for diaphragm?
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:25:46 AM »

I have an old MD409N dynamic mic.  The edges where the diaphragm attach have separated and the original adhesive has failed.  The mic works fine except for that.  What type of adhesive is recommended to re-attach the diaphragm edge?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Oliver Archut

Re: what adhesive for diaphragm?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 11:00:42 PM »

Hello J.J.,

you might want to try the 3M Scotch-Grip Plastic Adhesive 4475.

I used it several times to reglue the membrane of D12 mics after rewinding the moving coil. Works like a dream, but please be very careful using it, aside that if to much is used it will melt the fine plastic membrane, it also causes central nervous system depression.
You only can buy it via an 3M authorized outlet, and the smallest size available is a quart.

You also might consider to loosen the membrane all the way and than reglue it so that you won't have any off tension due to the uneven glue dispersement.

Best regards,

Oliver

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »

Oliver, thanks.  I've always been meaning to ask you if you rewind mic coils.  I have a bunch of D19s and 409s with severed or undone coils.  I had always wondered if somebody with a transformer or pickup winder could fix these since since the manufacturers won't touch them anymore.  Hey, considering that you can buy broken ones for $20 and sell good ones for up to $600, maybe you have a new business venture there.  Smile
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Oliver Archut

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:23:41 AM »

Hello J.J.,

I did it a while back but more to help out some very good customers of mine, it is a pain in the rear and there is only one try, if it does not work you scrap the membrane.
If I have to put a real price tag on them it would be about $500 to 800 for one mic, and even than it is no guarantee that it will work as good.
So please do not send any of them to me...

Best regards,

Oliver
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 01:08:17 PM »

I guess that answers that question!  
studio info

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.